General Elon Musk Fukkery Thread

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

9% of the social media user base but proportionally it's much more important politically than most of the other social media platforms, especially in the English-speaking world. Twitter is used by political leaders and others to promote political messages far more than Whatsapp, Instagram, TikTok, etc. In terms of political messaging and pushing misinformation the big three are Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter, and Twitter fulfills its own unique role there different from the other two.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
So it turns out -- surprise surprise -- Elon was gassed up to do this shyt by your favorite sleezy right-wing tech billionaire.

The Shadow Crew Who Encouraged Elon Musk’s Twitter Takeover

Before and during Mr. Musk’s breakneck takeover of Twitter, a close-knit group of libertarian-leaning activists and businessmen have been encouraging him to get involved. This group includes the so-called PayPal mafia—former executives at the online payments company who include Mr. Musk, the investor Peter Thiel and entrepreneur David Sacks—as well as ancillary figures like the venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson, an early Tesla investor who once served on the auto maker’s board; and Mr. Musk’s brother, Kimbal, a Tesla board member, according to people familiar with the matter.

And this section was just lovely:

If Mr. Musk, as he has signaled, moves toward a true Twitter free-for-all, it could unleash other even more schismatic personalities. The right-wing provocateur Charles C. Johnson, banned in 2015 for tweets asking for fundraising for “taking out” a prominent Black Lives Matter activist, has already seized on the chance for clemency.

When Mr. Johnson saw Mr. Musk’s offer to buy the company, he texted Mr. Musk’s point man on the deal, Jared Birchall, head of the billionaire’s personal investment office.

“When do I get my Twitter account back?” Mr. Johnson asked.

“Hopefully soon,” Mr. Birchall responded.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So it turns out -- surprise surprise -- Elon was gassed up to do this shyt by your favorite sleezy right-wing tech billionaire.

Before and during Mr. Musk’s breakneck takeover of Twitter, a close-knit group of libertarian-leaning activists and businessmen have been encouraging him to get involved. This group includes the so-called PayPal mafia—former executives at the online payments company who include Mr. Musk, the investor Peter Thiel and entrepreneur David Sacks—as well as ancillary figures like the venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson, an early Tesla investor who once served on the auto maker’s board; and Mr. Musk’s brother, Kimbal, a Tesla board member, according to people familiar with the matter.

If Mr. Musk, as he has signaled, moves toward a true Twitter free-for-all, it could unleash other even more schismatic personalities. The right-wing provocateur Charles C. Johnson, banned in 2015 for tweets asking for fundraising for “taking out” a prominent Black Lives Matter activist, has already seized on the chance for clemency.

When Mr. Johnson saw Mr. Musk’s offer to buy the company, he texted Mr. Musk’s point man on the deal, Jared Birchall, head of the billionaire’s personal investment office.

It all comes down to choice with this BS.

There are alternatives out there.

This is like Europe making a decision on Russian oil and gas.

It's difficult, but make the choice and you can defeat the behemoth thinking you are too hooked to leave it.

This has always been my pain point about black people as consumers.

We never mobilise our power to influence, whenever we try, you get some celebrity jumping in front of the bus to save the behemoth, but I digress.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Good find!

Can't say I'm surprised by any of this sadly. We really need to push for more regulation and data protection in tech in the US.

Also of note Tesla lost a massive discrimination lawsuit due to racial abuse of a black employee recently

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It all comes down to choice with this BS.

There are alternatives out there.

This is like Europe making a decision on Russian oil and gas.

It's difficult, but make the choice and you can defeat the behemoth thinking you are too hooked to leave it.

This has always been my pain point about black people as consumers.

We never mobilise our power to influence, whenever we try, you get some celebrity jumping in front of the bus to save the behemoth, but I digress.

It's not just black folk as consumers - ALL consumers are fukk-ups like this when it comes to real change. They can freeze some little guy out so long as it doesn't really affect them but they ain't gonna move off their favorite corporate master for no shyt. Look at how much conservative white people hate China yet are incessantly buying China-made shyt, or how many right-wingers think the social media companies are evil yet still spend all their time there.

No Ma’am

Bang, Bang, Bang
Daps
elon-musk-jeff-bezos.gif