Gaming will never be what it was from ps1-dreamcast/ps2/xbox-ps3/360

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The best games of this Gen are sequels, remasters and remakes. I can’t get jiggy with that.
:manny: it's always someone's first time playing them. Plus, remakes and remasters have given games a new breath of life that have got many people excited

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i sometimes wish gaming still had accessories like they used to, like VMUs. i think that is the one thing nintendo is still doing, making gaming seem like a special form of entertainment that is not just like watching netflix. it's still a separate device that cant eventually get assimilated into a smart tv

Daps
Profitable = better?

I think the Wii is another console people have on rose tinted glasses for. The vast majority of the Wii’s library was shovelware, it was so bad it became a meme for what their 3rd party support turned into. Not only that but the first part support basically tanked halfway into the generation. You still had stuff like Skyward Sword but people felll off it way before then.

This is what the shelves at gamestop looked like at the Nintendo section.

3pwall1005_thqwallofshame.jpg

3pwall1006_majescowallofshame.jpg

Basically the shyt that pollutes the E Shop now but in physical form where everyone can see
Bought a Wii for my gf at the time. She loved the Wii sports shyt and Mario Kart but it collected dust once we got Oblivion on PS3. Had some sports games like NCAA, Madden etc. Elder Scrolls was the first to really pull me in outside of GTA and sports games.

Lurk Angle

All Star
Daps
I agree with this thread

There were too many options back in the 90s/early mid 00s in gaming

Shyt fell off xbone/ps4 era something serious

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Innovation and newness is the key. After a while things become iterative and less risk averse. Add in corporate interests, ballooning dev costs, design by committee and trying to please everyone and you get genericism running free.

That and rose tinted glasses are in effect. Play on playa, plenty of lives left in those old pixels yet...

drifter

Superstar
Daps
That's the nostalgia speaking
Not really. Devs used to take risks case in point, Tekken 4. Many Tekken fans don't like the feel of the game, it's barebones, etc. But that's part of what they were going for, something familiar but in many cases radically different than what fans got used to. Some consider it a miss, how many devs you see even stepping up to the plate to shake things up?

Games used to have charm too. The soundtrack or the way characters looked were kinda like snapshots of the time. Using T4 again, very minimal and futuristic feeling which matches the 2001 new millennium aesthetic, especially in high end fashion.

It's hard to do that today when you HAVE to turn as much profit as possible, everything blends in and nothing sticks out. F2P, 3rd person with crafting mechanics, FPS with space weapons, that's all you're gonna get today. Some games have all 3.