Gaming will never be what it was from ps1-dreamcast/ps2/xbox-ps3/360

Hostile

All Star
Daps
It's funny how people never realize this. They try to relive their youth through things they enjoyed as kids and wonder why it doesn't feel the same.

"Kingdom Hearts 3 is so disappointing :damn:" yeah, it's fukking Goofy and Donald Duck and you're 40 years old now :hubie:
Square shouldn't have taken so long to make the damn game.

Daps
People actually thinking things are better now in the age of $70 non-functional PC ports, literal tens of thousands of dollars worth of microtransaction/gacha bullshyt, 500gb+ bloated install and forced update sizes, always-online-never-actually-owned "live service" garbage, etc etc. are delusional. No goofballs, it's not nostalgia... shyt is just that much more scummy, predatory, and greedy now. :heh: And it's cause of dumbass zoomers like y'all thinking this is an acceptable norm cause "B-b-b-bu muh ray tracing open worlds tho :mjcry:" is why this shyt so terrible now. :unimpressed:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The thing is games used to release busted or barebones back in the day, but you had no recourse in regards to it. Japanese games especially took YEARS to ported to the west and when they did the translations were all fukked up, like final fantasy tactics. We used to even have to wait over a year for entire consoles to release here, fukk that.

Looks at Dark Souls, Blighttown for years was almost unplayable bullshyt. shyt ran at like 5fps and it was glitched as hell and you just had to deal with shyt like that back then.

People don’t know how good you have it. You basically got blockbuster at your fingertips, non-stop game releases, and all of them have much more content and polish than 20 years ago.

And micros transactions beat having to buy 5 different street fighter games with minor roster or mode updates.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I bet every game you loved growing up was touted for its state of the art graphics at the time
False.

The OG Xbox sales compared to Ps2 destroys this argument. The Wii's sales disprove it further and Nintendo Switch shytting on Xbox One puts 12 nails in the coffin.

It was always known that "Gamers" who based everything off graphics were mouth breathers

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
False.

The OG Xbox sales compared to Ps2 destroys this argument. The Wii's sales disprove it further and Nintendo Switch shytting on Xbox One puts 12 nails in the coffin.

It was always known that "Gamers" who based everything off graphics were mouth breathers

Wii is the generation after this thread title, when the consoles actually started to pull apart greatly in power. Before that they were all on the same level, ps3, GameCube, and xbox all were powerful console.

I specifically remember being blown off my ass when i first played Conkers Bad Fur day compared to the original on N64. It was always about graphics, in fact a lot of criticisms i hear about gaming today is that there isn’t a big graphics leap over last gen.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wii is the generation after this thread title, when the consoles actually started to pull apart greatly in power. Before that they were all on the same level, ps3, GameCube, and xbox all were powerful console.

I specifically remember being blown off my ass when i first played Conkers Bad Fur day compared to the original on N64. It was always about graphics, in fact a lot of criticisms i hear about gaming today is that there isn’t a big graphics leap over last gen.
You only hear that because graphics were touted as the selling point of new (non Nintendo) consoles. Unimaginative companies wrung that shyt dry until the differences became negligible, much like cellphones trying to sell on their camera quality and nobody gives af these days.

This is why the Wii's success is so noteworthy because while stans of PS and Xbox were experiencing diminished returns in their arguments about terraflops & perfectly rendered grass, the most graphically inferior of the 3 consoles was the most profitable by far.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You only hear that because graphics were touted as the selling point of new (non Nintendo) consoles. Unimaginative companies wrung that shyt dry until the differences became negligible, much like cellphones trying to sell on their camera quality and nobody gives af these days.

This is why the Wii's success is so noteworthy because while stans of PS and Xbox were experiencing diminished returns in their arguments about terraflops & perfectly rendered grass, the most graphically inferior of the 3 consoles was the most profitable by far.

Profitable = better?

I think the Wii is another console people have on rose tinted glasses for. The vast majority of the Wii’s library was shovelware, it was so bad it became a meme for what their 3rd party support turned into. Not only that but the first part support basically tanked halfway into the generation. You still had stuff like Skyward Sword but people felll off it way before then.

This is what the shelves at gamestop looked like at the Nintendo section.

3pwall1005_thqwallofshame.jpg

3pwall1006_majescowallofshame.jpg

Basically the shyt that pollutes the E Shop now but in physical form where everyone can see

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Profitable = better?

I think the Wii is another console people have on rose tinted glasses for. The vast majority of the Wii’s library was shovelware, it was so bad it became a meme for what their 3rd party support turned into. Not only that but the first part support basically tanked halfway into the generation. You still had stuff like Skyward Sword but people felll off it way before then.

This is what the shelves at gamestop looked like at the Nintendo section.

3pwall1005_thqwallofshame.jpg

3pwall1006_majescowallofshame.jpg

Basically the shyt that pollutes the E Shop now but in physical form where everyone can see
There is shovelware in every generation, the difference now is that you pay 70$ upfront for it and another 20 in DLC for the rest of it.

Cooking Mama and Drawn To Life don't deserve this slander btw

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
the difference now is that you pay 70$ upfront for it

Naw, theres no such thing as 70 dollar shovelware, there are bad games but they’re not low effort licensed stuff.

The stuff we’re paying 70 dollars for now have so much more content and production value then the games we paid 60 for 20 years ago

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
people always forget the crazy amount of shovelware from that ps2/xbox/gc era too. remember how the joke was that every game based on a licensed property was probably gonna be ass? now when there's a new batman or spider-man game everyone expects it to be great
I feel like part of it has to do with the fact that most of us weren't getting games on the regular like that because we were in grade school during the ps2 era. We had to play the fukk outta games because we only got new games a couple times a year.

Ps3 era was when most of us started buying whatever game we wanted whenever we wanted, and it's led to the situation today where people are quick to move on because there's so many options.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There's a difference between having good graphics and game play than just having good graphics. The games I grew up with were known for their good game play, not graphics.

I feel like the games i play now have really good gameplay, what games played better back then?

I think if i showed my teenage self that was going crazy over Final Fantasy X on ps2, (pre-advent children) a clip of Final Fantasy XVi they’d have to put me in a mental institution. I wouldn’t even be able to process what i was looking at, and that pretty much applies to everything.

I always get hyped to go back and play a game from the early HD era and drop that shyt like 10 minutes later. None of that shyt holds up today. Thats why i prefer remakes and really involved remasters than them just adding shyt to ps plus or nintendo online. Those games are unplayable

Peopel are just blinded by nostalgia. Of course GTA3 and San Andreas are gonna be looked at fondly becuase they were the first big open world type sim games, but in every objective measure GTA5 is bettter than both those games, and GTA 6 will be a lot better than GTA5.

Games only get better, its the people playing them that get jaded about them

Last edited:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
It is your age.

There is a side of gaming that cannot be replicated as a grown man. Playing as Sonic and Tails with your brother. Playing until you lose a life on games like Rayman and Crash, then swapping out with your friend.

How I know that it is your age is those games are still accessible and games like them. The archive is only getting bigger so the current generation isn't missing out on anything. What you miss is the experience you can't get due to adult life.