Gamepass hurting sales? Like shyt ain’t cracked up to be?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Gotta be honest with you nikkas, I've had PS Plus since October 29th, 2020, and it runs out on October 29th, 2028. I converted it to PS Plus Extra as soon as it became available last June, but I haven't downloaded a single game off the service, which is pretty comparable to GP. Something psychological going on, but as soon as I see a game I don't need to pay for, I lose all interest in it. Since I have no investment, the stakes are zero. I also like playing games over many months, and I don't like the idea that a game could be taken off the service at any time.
The problem with Extra is all those Sony games someone invested in the platform probably already bought. If I didn’t buy it when it came out and it’s bargain bin status now it’s easy to just pluck it up on a sale and own it.

If Spider-Man 2 came to that day 1 are you saying you’d pass on it?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Gotta be honest with you nikkas, I've had PS Plus since October 29th, 2020, and it runs out on October 29th, 2028. I converted it to PS Plus Extra as soon as it became available last June, but I haven't downloaded a single game off the service, which is pretty comparable to GP. Something psychological going on, but as soon as I see a game I don't need to pay for, I lose all interest in it. Since I have no investment, the stakes are zero. I also like playing games over many months, and I don't like the idea that a game could be taken off the service at any time.

I have extra as well. My shyt lapses next year.

My sons fukk with some of the older shyt they haven't already played though.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The problem with Extra is all those Sony games someone invested in the platform probably already bought. If I didn’t buy it when it came out and it’s bargain bin status now it’s easy to just pluck it up on a sale and own it.

Naw it happens for new day 1 shyt as well like sea of stars

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

True, but many want the convenience nowadays rather than hit up rapestop or shop online for the cheap physical.

As far as dropping AAA games day one on PS Premium or Extra that would be idiotic. No different than Disney dropping an MCU or Marvel or Pixar film on D+ Day one. there's a reason you don't do that dumb shyt.

Gamepass subs have flattened and worse you've created a consumer who now won't buy AAA games day 1 and would rather wait till gamepass. And just like all these other sub services, the price keeps going up and up. So of course any major AAA game or third party is gonna go where the money is, the customers buying games on Playstation and Nintendo, even more since they'll get a good chunk of revenue before the sales slow down to the point you put it on streaming. Xboxers aren't buying games.

Now you see them double dipping an adding 30 dollar premiums to active gamepass subscribers to scam even more bread to make up and gain more revenue. Genius scumbaggery tho, gotta give it to Phil on dat one. :mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
True, but many want the convenience nowadays rather than hit up rapestop or shop online for the cheap physical.

As far as dropping AAA games day one on PS Premium or Extra that would be idiotic. No different than Disney dropping an MCU or Marvel or Pixar film on D+ Day one. there's a reason you don't do that dumb shyt.

Gamepass subs have flattened and worse you've created a consumer who now won't buy AAA games day 1 and would rather wait till gamepass. And just like all these other sub services, the price keeps going up and up. So of course any major AAA game or third party is gonna go where the money is, the customers buying games on Playstation and Nintendo, even more since they'll get a good chunk of revenue before the sales slow down to the point you put it on streaming. Xboxers aren't buying games.

Now you see them double dipping an adding 30 dollar premiums to active gamepass subscribers to scam even more bread to make up and gain more revenue. Genius scumbaggery tho, gotta give it to Phil on dat one. :mjlol:
It’s only stupid if that’s not your business model. Netflix produces expensive movies and puts them direct to streaming because that’s the business model. Disney’s business model is theater first then Disney+ later. For Disney to transition to a direct to streaming model it would involve some short term pain.

Game Pass stalled out because as it presently is it’s barely worth paying for. There aren’t enough AAA first party titles to justify paying $10 a month or whatever they’re charging. If I didn’t get 3 years at a discount I wouldn’t have it.

You can only get so far with small indie titles, mediocre third party releases, and old sold through games.

Ya Sinning Mane

Superstar
Daps
Game Pass stalled out because as it presently is it’s barely worth paying for. There aren’t enough AAA first party titles to justify paying $10 a month or whatever they’re charging. If I didn’t get 3 years at a discount I wouldn’t have it.

You can only get so far with small indie titles, mediocre third party releases, and old sold through games.
Xbox one and series in a nutshell tbh

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Only way gamepass sees massive growth after this point is if they put COD exclusively on gamepass, and we all know they can’t do that

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Only way gamepass sees massive growth after this point is if they put COD exclusively on gamepass, and we all know they can’t do that
Doesn’t need to be exclusive.

The price of 2 AAA games is $140. If they’re charging $132 a year for Game Pass then it’s a no brainer if they have 2 AAA games a year you would buy anyway. It’s money you would have already spent. COD on Game Pass is half way to justifying its value to a lot of people.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

The price of 2 AAA games is $140. If they’re charging $132 a year for Game Pass then it’s a no brainer if they have 2 AAA games a year you would buy anyway. It’s money you would have already spent. COD on Game Pass is half way to justifying its value to a lot of people.

People don’t think like that, no one is going to not buy COD because its on gamepass except for people already bought into Gamepass. The only thing that is going to make people consider it is if thats the only place you can play it.

Same as MLB, there are still making most of its sales on playstation even though they can play it for “Free” on gamepass. The subscription fatigue is real, and asking someone to add another monthly bill to their statement is a big ask

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People don’t think like that, no one is going to not buy COD because its on gamepass except for people already bought into Gamepass. The only thing that is going to make people consider it is if thats the only place you can play it.

Same as MLB, there are still making most of its sales on playstation even though they can play it for “Free” on gamepass. The subscription fatigue is real, and asking someone to add another monthly bill to their statement is a big ask
COD and MLB are disposable games. There’s not much advantage to owning them past that initial year and with COD your access to the older games won’t change as it’s Xbox first party.

If a subscription provides access to stuff people would have bought yeah people think like that.

What you’re calling subscription fatigue is really streaming companies going insane in a short window jacking up their prices because they need to reach profitability. All the while they’re reducing content and making services worse products for more money.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What you’re calling subscription fatigue is really streaming companies going insane in a short window jacking up their prices because they need to reach profitability. All the while they’re reducing content and making services worse products for more money.

Do you not have any foresight to see thats the same exact thing that will happen here? Games like COD cost a fortune to develop and market and generate their companies billions of dollars a year, its either people completely forgo subscribing to it, and everything stays the same or people en masse subscribe to play it and the prices skyrocket.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps

I don't know about this logic, man. I can't remember the last Xbox game I would have paid even $60 for, let alone $70. Also, if I'm gonna be dropping 3 AAA games worth of cash on day 1 games I'd like to have something to show for it after my sub expires. If money is an issue for people, most games go on sale shortly after release, they can just wait a few months and buy them outright. This also omits the fact that you'd be spending at least a couple hundred every year on games NOT on GP, say Hogwarts Legacy, Phantom Liberty, BG3, Alan Wake 2. At that point, you'd be better off just staggering your purchases so you can get them all for cheap and play them at your leisure :manny:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
outright. This also omits the fact that you'd be spending at least a couple hundred every year on games NOT on GP, say Hogwarts Legacy, Phantom Liberty, BG3, Alan Wake 2

Also, this is the point i keep making. Its either you’re the type of person that only plays COD/Warzone, or you’re the type of person that is gonna play major 3rd party games on top of subscribing to gamepass which makes it not really any cheaper.