Gamepass hurting sales? Like shyt ain’t cracked up to be?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't know about this logic, man. I can't remember the last Xbox game I would have paid even $60 for, let alone $70. Also, if I'm gonna be dropping 3 AAA games worth of cash on day 1 games I'd like to have something to show for it after my sub expires. If money is an issue for people, most games go on sale shortly after release, they can just wait a few months and buy them outright. This also omits the fact that you'd be spending at least a couple hundred every year on games NOT on GP, say Hogwarts Legacy, Phantom Liberty, BG3, Alan Wake 2. At that point, you'd be better off just staggering your purchases so you can get them all for cheap and play them at your leisure :manny:
The base version of Game Pass is $132 outright. 2 AAA games are $140 so for the price of 2 AAA game you can get a Game Pass sub and get annual access to the new COD game.

Your argument that you'd rather continue buying COD annually? There's no real value in owning COD games vs playing them on Game Pass when people buy them every year. Even if you did want to go back and play the older ones they're first party so they stay on the service.

This is all circular logic anyway. There are people who subscribe to one of the two higher tiers of PlayStation Plus which actually will now cost more than Game Pass base arguing that people won't be willing to sub to a game subscription service if it started getting noteworthy games like COD day one.

Maybe the argument is Microsoft with ZeniMax and Activision can't produce worthwhile games for a subscription service? I find that argument dubious.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The base version of Game Pass is $132 outright. 2 AAA games are $140 so for the price of 2 AAA game you can get a Game Pass sub and get annual access to the new COD game.

Your argument that you'd rather continue buying COD annually? There's no real value in owning COD games vs playing them on Game Pass when people buy them every year. Even if you did want to go back and play the older ones they're first party so they stay on the service.

This is all circular logic anyway. There are people who subscribe to one of the two higher tiers of PlayStation Plus which actually will now cost more than Game Pass base arguing that people won't be willing to sub to a game subscription service if it started getting noteworthy games like COD day one.

Maybe the argument is Microsoft with ZeniMax and Activision can't produce worthwhile games for a subscription service? I find that argument dubious.

You can’t even play COD on base gamepass, its a multiplayer game. No ones buying COD just to play single player and if they are they wouldn’t subscribe for more than one month

If you’re signing up for gamepass to play COD year round you’d need ultimate which is CURRENTLY 17 dollars a month

Last edited:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps

I don't play COD, so there's that. It might be worth it for people who do, and it might not. I have pretty much every past iteration of COD that I got for free with PS Plus monthly free games, tried a few and they weren't my cup of tea. I already own all the Zenimax games I want to play since they were all from before the acquisition, and I got them dirt cheap. With the sheer number of tricks you can use, combining credit card points, taking advantage of Slickdeals, and PS store sales, you can easily get all these games for less than a year's GPU sub and keep them forever. Doubly so for Steam users, who get mad deals year-round. Whether or not future Bethesda and Activision games will be worth the cost of GPU remains to be seen. It's also extremely predatory that a subscription service that claims to give you games on Day 1 now has early-access nickle and diming shenanigans going on.

Out of interest, could you list the games currently on the service that you feel are worth the full price of GPU? Keep in mind the base version of Game Pass console doesn't have online multiplayer, so we'll use the Ultimate tier for this discussion.