Game of Thrones Season 3 Niccas!!!!! *Storms Swords*

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I musta missed the ep where this house hospitality was explained. Cuz all along I thought Robb & Catt were stupid for going back to Frey like shyt was sweet. I keep seeing it said in this thread that marriage pacts are broken all the time, but I dont recall hearing about any on the show being broken tho. Since Robb broke the marriage oath I figured Frey was justified in his revenge. Went about it grimey as fukk, but justified.

It wasn't just the hospitality. In Westeros when you go over another nikkas house and break bread and salt with him (like they showed in the 1st 10 mins or so of the epi), all of your guests are under your protection and law. It is one of the most sacred customs in the country.

In other words, the Frey's not only killed the Starks they violated a centuries old custom that was pretty much a de facto law...you don't harm your guests. Literally it had people shook to go to events at other castles in Westeros. Hell people across the narrow sea heard about it.

DLeap

Coli TV/Film Expert
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
It wasn't just the hospitality. In Westeros when you go over another nikkas house and break bread and salt with him (like they showed in the 1st 10 mins or so of the epi), all of your guests are under your protection and law. It is one of the most sacred customs in the country.

In other words, the Frey's not only killed the Starks they violated a centuries old custom that was pretty much a de facto law...you don't harm your guests. Literally it had people shook to go to events at other castles in Westeros. Hell people across the narrow sea heard about it.

I think the point dude was making that i agree with is they didn't really set that up on the show for us to understand how sacred the custom was. Everyone is saying that now because they know it from the books. Hopefully in the next episode they will have someone acknowledging how big of a deal this was in Westeros. Otherwise, they can't assume TV fans will know all the backstory and customs.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I think the point dude was making that i agree with is they didn't really set that up on the show for us to understand how sacred the custom was. Everyone is saying that now because they know it from the books. Hopefully in the next episode they will have someone acknowledging how big of a deal this was in Westeros. Otherwise, they can't assume TV fans will know all the backstory and customs.

Nah, it was said in the show as well...albeit not as much in the books you are right but that was kinda the point of Frey's monologue. Think of Bread and Salt like swearing on the Bible before a trial, or the handshake to open/close political treaties or the ink that makes something law....it really doesn't many anything BUT the symbolism of it makes it important.

Nymeria

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dorne.
Sunday is going to be hella bittersweet. I'm glad I get to see the show again, but after last week's episode and knowing this is it until next year... :sadbron:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
game-of-thrones-we-are-never-ever-getting-back-together-281x300.jpg

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If Sansa Stark doesn't ride for her family she gotta be the wackest character ever, any show, all time. It's bad enough she ain't already killed Joffrey for what he did to Ned.

Fred.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I'm confused about something brehs. Aight, we know The Lord of light brings people (certain people) back from the grave. But melisandre forever doing what seems to be the opposite of light, pushing out shadow babies that assassinate, taking blood from innocent nikkas using leeches...even her clothing style seems like sum dark priestess shyt. I ain't seen no good or positive shyt come from her or this "light" god.

What's y'all opinion on this god (no book shyt PLEASE !:stop:)

I'm a believer of the Lord of Light, but I get a :sitdown: vibe from Melisandre. She keeps fukkn the homies for no reason.

HookersandIceCream

#TeamOrange
Daps
Reppin
Wherever whores go.....
Guest right is insanely important in Westeros.
Its one thing to take revenge but to massacre an entire family is going to rub people the wrong way.

According to legend, the man who would later be known as the Rat Cook was a simple cook at the Nightfort. He became infamous when he served an Andal King a pie that was made of bacon and, unknown to the King, the King's own son. The Cook killed the King's son, a Prince, in revenge for a wrong the King supposedly did to him. The King was unaware of this however as he ate and praised the taste and asked for a second piece. The gods, angry because the cook had slain a guest beneath his roof, cursed the cook and transformed him into a massive rat who was doomed to be unable to eat anything but his own young.

Such is the infamy of the tale that there is a song about the Rat Cook that is still sung in the Seven Kingdoms, despite the fact that this incident was supposed to have happened hundreds of years before Aegon's landing. The song is used to represent the repercussions to those who violate the sacred laws of hospitality in the Seven Kingdoms, which is known as the Guest right.