Game of Thrones - "House Of The Dragon" Official Threads (NO SPOILERS....ZERO)

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The two shows can't be compared. They're two totally different things in the fantasy genre.
They can be compared. It doesn't matter that the shows are different.

Rings of Power has multiple interesting storylines. House of the Dragon has basically just 1...and it's currently not being done with nearly as much depth as even the secondary storylines in GoT.

How is this debatable?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude out here calling me a Rings of Power "stan".

I have exactly 3 posts in the Rings of Power thread.

Three.

giphy.gif

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I have one complaint about this show is the way it’s shot. The shots are too dark for no reason. I’m constantly playing around with the picture settings during the show.

I just looked it up and turns out that the show runner for HOD is the director of The Long Night episode.

Has he ever spoken on why the shots for that episode and HOD are shot this way?

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
They can be compared. It doesn't matter that the shows are different.

Rings of Power has multiple interesting storylines. House of the Dragon has basically just 1...and it's currently not being done with nearly as much depth as even the secondary storylines in GoT.

How is this debatable?

Very. One show, Rings of Power is very much high fantasy. HotD while fantasy, is a political family drama. It's like comparing The West Wing and Veep.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Can someone explain to me why ma'am didnt just murk those insurrectionists with her Dragon? Did I miss something earlier in the episode because it doesnt make any sense to me.

She didn't want to murder folks and TAKE the throne away, like it was done to her. If anything she's going to let Rhae know so SHE can ride on the Greens and She'll just fly off and be done with it. Probably go look for her husband. To be fair, they hadn't done really anything besides keep her on lockdown while they figured out their move after the king died. So not really a murder worthy crime.

And on top of that, if she sets fire to everryone then and there then Targ rule is basically over for everyone. No men, no heirs, the people wouldn't accept Rhae. Whatever. But honestly, I think she just didn't want to kill a lady who clearly just wants to protect her kids.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Very. One show, Rings of Power is very much high fantasy. HotD while fantasy, is a political family drama. It's like comparing The West Wing and Veep.

This is what I've always said to people. LOTR and its spin-offs are high fantasy in its purest form. Good vs. Evil. Elves and Knights and Magic.
Game of Thrones is a deconstruction of fantasy, that actively eschews fantasy tropes in favor of rooted, visceral political drama.

Even look at how dragons are viewed and delt with in the two series. In one Dragons are majestic, old creatures held with reverence and respect. In the other, dragons are tools to be wielded. The nuclear option for a medieval society.
One is DEFFINETLY closer to how human beings would actually view dragons.

More than West Wing/Veep. Its like comparing Naruto to One Punch Man. One is a true shonen manga....the other does everything it can to point out a shonen's absurdities.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Like 5 weeks in a row that Aliset is looking funny in the light.

:mjlol: Bum ass Aegon out here having his b*stards compete in hell in a cell, but alicent believes the king chose him on his death bed.

Otto and company committing treason before the king is even dead. This who y'all follow behind?

This nikka delusional, talking about kill Daemon and Rhae. Like they ain't got dragons and he has anybody capable of doing that. :skip:

Ser Simpston is outta control. Need somebody to check his ass.

Feeter Baelish out here murdering to look at feet? :skip: not even touch them. She single now too. Man has no ambition. :snoop:

Otto literally out here forcing people to bend the knee to Aegon. I read in here that nobody was gonna care about Viserys' word after he died though. :jbhmm:

BRUH!

I HATE YALL.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Maybe you don't know this, but you can compare a show's quality and depth even if the subject matter is different.

I'm embarrassed that this even needs to be explained.

:picard:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
This is what I've always said to people. LOTR and its spin-offs are high fantasy in its purest form. Good vs. Evil. Elves and Knights and Magic.
Game of Thrones is a deconstruction of fantasy, that actively eschews fantasy tropes in favor of rooted, visceral political drama.

Even look at how dragons are viewed and delt with in the two series. In one Dragons are majestic, old creatures held with reverence and respect. In the other, dragons are tools to be wielded. The nuclear option for a medieval society.
One is DEFFINETLY closer to how human beings would actually view dragons.

More than West Wing/Veep. Its like comparing Naruto to One Punch Man. One is a true shonen manga....the other does everything it can to point out a shonen's absurdities.

Which is why I judge both shows for their own merits. I enjoy both because they both satisfy something different for me. Now if it was say HotD and a proper Wizard's First Rule series, that would be more of better comparison.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Which is why I judge both shows for their own merits. I enjoy both because they both satisfy something different for me. Now if it was say HotD and a proper Wizard's First Rule series, that would be more of better comparison.
Got it.
You think things can only be compared if they're the same subject.

So The Wire can only be compared to other cop shows.
Top Gun can only be compared to other fighter plane movies.

It's retarded to be sure. But at least I know where you stand on this.

:ehh:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Got it.
You think things can only be compared if they're the same subject.

So The Wire can only be compared to other cop shows.
Top Gun can only be compared to other fighter plane movies.

It's retarded to be sure. But at least I know where you stand on this.

:ehh:

I mean if you're going to make an apples to apples comparison. But even comparing say The Wire to The Sopranos is difficult. Both are "crime dramas" but they have VERY different messages that they are trying to get across. Yes they can be compared, but you'd have to acknowledge what the intent of the showrunners is.
You judge LOTR by its "fantasy-ness" and GOT/HOTD by its political intrigue.

But yeah, they can be compared sure.