• Yes

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 90.9%

• Total voters

invalid

Banned
Daps
I don't take Soul Food to mean specific food items (i.e. fried chicken, mac, greens, yams) but food that was born out of the trauma, suffering, scarcity, and survival of the enslaved.

So in that sense:

- Jamaican food is a version of soul
- Belizean Garifuna is a version of soul
- Haitian cuisine is a version of soul

And any other cuisines that were born out of the trans Atlantic slave trade.

Yes, black Americans have been good at using specific language to describe various aspects of our culture that was born out of slavery. But when you get to the root of it, you will find that what we're trying to capture/convey/emote could be extended to other groups whom equally came out of the same enslaved circumstances across the diaspora.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Oh goodness not again. Whether it’s true or not, ‘it’s giving’ insecurity and hurt. It’s so desperate constantly groveling over some credit. This is what happens when the culture is led by women. :scust:

And to the actual topic, “ADOS” got some explaining to do. Modern soul food is not your granny’s soul food. I dont see many new age spots selling smothered chicken and chitlins. :beli:Oh but I see a whole lot of jerk Henny Mac n cheese. Jerk douse trap tacos. Jerk Henny wings. Oh and how about the oxtail awakening from earlier in the year :aicmon:

There is a lot of overlap now. And you will ALWAYS end up looking silly trying to seperate black culture from non-Ados influence.

Sniper

All Star
Daps
Yes to Jamaicans and those that grew up with it it definitely is.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
:russ: it never ceases to amaze me.how one person's comment means they are speaking for an entire community.

Don't see the debate. I've never heard any Jamaican claiming soul food, it's different cuisine.

Internet people.just to get upset.over nonsese

the end

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh goodness not again. Whether it’s true or not, ‘it’s giving’ insecurity and hurt. It’s so desperate constantly groveling over some credit. This is what happens when the culture is led by women. :scust:

And to the actual topic, “ADOS” got some explaining to do. Modern soul food is not your granny’s soul food. I dont see many new age spots selling smothered chicken and chitlins. :beli:Oh but I see a whole lot of jerk Henny Mac n cheese. Jerk douse trap tacos. Jerk Henny wings. Oh and how about the oxtail awakening from earlier in the year :aicmon:

There is a lot of overlap now. And you will ALWAYS end up looking silly trying to seperate black culture from non-Ados influence.
You don't have to lie to kick it breh :francis: