FX's Donald Glover Sitcom "Atlanta" Season 1 thread

Daps
Terrible episode imo. Hit everyone over the head with a hammer on the dogs worth more than black life angle, which literally added nothing to the story but a space filler, and the whole black Bieber angle was just weird.

Only chuckled at a few parts.

Funny you found this to be a terrible episode, cuz this was my favorite, surpassing the jail episode. I'll expound below...

THIS! ...i didnt chuckle or laugh one bit, very disappointed:smh::smh::smh:. Definitely a filler episode w/ forced directions/views from the producers as opposed to letting the characters carry the show as they did through episode 1-4, hopefully episode 6 gets back to it

It's cool not to like the episode, we all have different opinions, but y'all gotta stop using the word "filler" for anything you don't like. "Filler" refers to episodes (or songs on an album) we're they're just going through the motions. The result is generic, forgettable, cookie-cutter art. This episode is surely not that. Clearly they put thought into the episode and were trying to do something here.

I liked this episode so much because it covered :mjpls: from different angles with different levels of subtly.

The most overt was Darius' story line. With CaCs and their tendency to value dog life over human life. They had no problem with dude shooting a target of "dad" but were batshyt over a dog target. Furthermore, instead of the owner just asking Darius to leave, he led him out at gunpoint. It's not like Darius was turning up, he's always laid back. Even the Arabs talking that jihad shyt weren't engaged like that (hilarious interaction btw :mjlol:). How many times do we see CaCs and cops immediately approach black folks in such an unnecessarily violent manner, then blame us when we react to that aggression. Good thing Darius is a naturally cool cat. :whew:

Then there's Paper Boy tryna pawg (I actually expected the coli to have a lot more to say about this nikka gushing over this white Nubian queen :mjpls:). He had no chance with her but she did hip him to game with that "stay in your lane" advice. Not necessarily an issue unique to race, society is always trying to compartmentalize you. It can be difficult to break from that.

Then there's Black Beiber. I took that decision to be a direct shot at the "Last nikka on Earth starring Tom Hanks" shyt that Hollywood likes to do. How many stories from Black writers/across/directors/producers have you heard where they'll be sitting in a room with top execs and they'll say something like "Hey we love this story, but does the protagonist really have to be black?":comeon:

Finally, there's Earn. His angle was actually my favorite from the episode. It starts with the common trope of white people thinking all Black people look alike. I kinda wish they showed the real Alonzo at the end of the episode. Like maybe have someone whisper to Beiber that Alonzo said it's time to go, they gotta get over to an event at Phipps Plaza then they pan to an open limo door with a nikka who looks nothing like Earn waving Beibs in. What made Earn's story the best to me was him sneaking in to that VIP room. To the audience (and to Earn), it was the white chick who snuck Earn into that room. She went off on the doorman about them not needing to wear lanyards, and dude just let him in. But she reveals later that she got fired from her agency. She was actually using 'Alonzo' to get into that room (that's why she waited till she got in the room and worked the room on her own, before going off on 'Alonzo' for fukking her over). Neither of them were wearing lanyards and the white bytch walked in first, no problem, but the doorman felt the need to stop Earn. In his eyes, the white chick belonged there, but the Black dude had to prove he belonged there. And the rub in all this.......the doorman carrying out this low level white supremacist policy: a Black man. :banderas:

Great fukking episode imo

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Shooting range was true on so many levels. White people are fine with shooting non whites for no reason, yet will go on full on riots if a dog is harmed.

This show has good shyt :ehh:

Darius is one funny ass Breh

Edit: Paperboi and beibers smack talking and fight was :mjlol::mjlol:

"they want you to be the a$$hole. You're the rapper, that's your job." Show combining social
Commentary and humor. Best show on tv

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Funny you found this to be a terrible episode, cuz this was my favorite, surpassing the jail episode. I'll expound below...

It's cool not to like the episode, we all have different opinions, but y'all gotta stop using the word "filler" for anything you don't like. "Filler" refers to episodes (or songs on an album) we're they're just going through the motions. The result is generic, forgettable, cookie-cutter art. This episode is surely not that. Clearly they put thought into the episode and were trying to do something here.

I liked this episode so much because it covered :mjpls: from different angles with different levels of subtly.

The most overt was Darius' story line. With CaCs and their tendency to value dog life over human life. They had no problem with dude shooting a target of "dad" but were batshyt over a dog target. Furthermore, instead of the owner just asking Darius to leave, he led him out at gunpoint. It's not like Darius was turning up, he's always laid back. Even the Arabs talking that jihad shyt weren't engaged like that (hilarious interaction btw :mjlol:). How many times do we see CaCs and cops immediately approach black folks in such an unnecessarily violent manner, then blame us when we react to that aggression. Good thing Darius is a naturally cool cat. :whew:

Then there's Paper Boy tryna pawg (I actually expected the coli to have a lot more to say about this nikka gushing over this white Nubian queen :mjpls:). He had no chance with her but she did hip him to game with that "stay in your lane" advice. Not necessarily an issue unique to race, society is always trying to compartmentalize you. It can be difficult to break from that.

Then there's Black Beiber. I took that decision to be a direct shot at the "Last nikka on Earth starring Tom Hanks" shyt that Hollywood likes to do. How many stories from Black writers/across/directors/producers have you heard where they'll be sitting in a room with top execs and they'll say something like "Hey we love this story, but does the protagonist really have to be black?":comeon:

Finally, there's Earn. His angle was actually my favorite from the episode. It starts with the common trope of white people thinking all Black people look alike. I kinda wish they showed the real Alonzo at the end of the episode. Like maybe have someone whisper to Beiber that Alonzo said it's time to go, they gotta get over to an event at Phipps Plaza then they pan to an open limo door with a nikka who looks nothing like Earn waving Beibs in. What made Earn's story the best to me was him sneaking in to that VIP room. To the audience (and to Earn), it was the white chick who snuck Earn into that room. She went off on the doorman about them not needing to wear lanyards, and dude just let him in. But she reveals later that she got fired from her agency. She was actually using 'Alonzo' to get into that room (that's why she waited till she got in the room and worked the room on her own, before going off on 'Alonzo' for fukking her over). Neither of them were wearing lanyards and the white bytch walked in first, no problem, but the doorman felt the need to stop Earn. In his eyes, the white chick belonged there, but the Black dude had to prove he belonged there. And the rub in all this.......the doorman carrying out this low level white supremacist policy: a Black man. :banderas:

Great fukking episode imo

Peep the black breh after her, all proud to show the lanyard to the guy. The levels to this shyt. :wow:

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Just caught up, this is an excellent show, Gambino's a great writer.

Paper Boi might be the funniest character, his reactions and follow up lines are always hilarious: "Then donate Beiber to me" :russ:

I'm gonna call it, this show is gonna get big, like Chappelle and Breaking Bad levels

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
okay, cause im seeing this get gassed like its good and Ive been bored with it for the most part:ld:

Knew I wasn't the only one

Last two episodes have basically been about nothing IMO, and before y'all quote this post with, "you don't get it responses", I do, the shyt ain't that deep, both episodes had their :mjlol: moments but overall I just wasn't feeling em. I get the excitement about the show, but y'all are kind of gassing.

:yeshrug:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I liked this episode so much because it covered :mjpls: from different angles with different levels of subtly

Yup that's what I loved the most about this episode. Anyone who's ever interacted with CaCs for extended periods of time should immediately recognize the subtext. Like a page out of real life. And it was subtle. It wasn't spelled out for you. Aside from the Darius scenes you wouldn't explicitly have gotten the gist of it. It wasn't told to you it was just shown.

How mundane and yet stifling cac fukkery and white supremacy is on a daily and everyday basis.

Last two episodes have basically been about nothing IMO, and before y'all quote this post with, "you don't get it responses", I do, the shyt ain't that deep, both episodes had their :mjlol: moments but overall I just wasn't feeling em. I get the excitement about the show, but y'all are kind of gassing.

:yeshrug:

I kinda get what you're saying, but I still disagree. The plot of the first 2 episodes just seemed to go unanswered.

The parking lot shooting case just seemed like it never happened and is just glossed over. Episode 4 wasn't about "nothing", though. This probably is the only episode it felt like it went through the motions but I only think it's because of the charity game being the prime focus.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
When black bieber mushed the reporter broad and she kept smiling:laugh:
not only that. Nikka changed his aways to spit game to the game PAWG . she finally got fed up and went out of character and told dude to play his role :russ: then went back into her role(or at least what society expects of her...)

nikka was like :what: