FX's Donald Glover Sitcom "Atlanta" Season 1 thread

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
WTF? :mindblown:

I was trying to decide whether to take Amtrak or go cheap with Megabus to Boston. I image searched Megabus to see what the buses looked like and look who popped up:beli::

140324_megabus_05_00225[0].jpg

JetLife

/ SOHH /
Daps
Reppin
Golden State
Pushed out of music family? His last album went Gold. He's just not put anything out in years since the last mixtape because he was focusing on this, but he just debuted his new music at a private festival labor day weekend. We'll be hearing it in a couple of months.

When I say "pushed out of music", I'm coming from the viewpoint that if he made it in music, like really blew big, he wouldn't even have time to make a TV show since touring and the album process would end up being a 100% focus.

It also refers to the tenuous relationship he's always had with critics never taking him 100% seriously as a rapper/artist. Because he was a comedian/writer first, then an actor, they seemed to always hold this against him. E.g. the Pitchfork "Camp" review being a 1.6 out of 10 and the Spin "Because the Internet" Review being a 2 out of 10. Common denominator? Both open with "Community star tries to be rapper ..." and insanely low ratings.

It also refers to how message boards have reacted to his music. Look at any Childish Gambino threads on here or on Boxden and it usually gets run down by people doing the same thing but in the "hey, he's a cornball!" vain.

Ironically, this TV show will probably change the narrative/perception/reaction to his Pharos project that he couldn't do with just music.

Before Atlanta, it woulda just been another Childish Gambino project that his core fans would check out, critics would give average to below average ratings, and message boards would kinda clown.

After Atlanta, people who now see him in a different light might actually give his music a fair shot.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I feel like all the subtext with the cacs in this episode can only be understood by black folks.

Looks like next week we're gonna see Van do absoutely whatever it takes to keep her job.

I think a lot of people see Van as the only characther without flaws and who is responsible and is the sole voice of reason. Everyone points how shytty Earn or Paperboi or Darius are and what they do with lives but Van is just the mother who's a struggling victim of the men around her and is never wrong.

I'm predicting this episode is gonna flip that assessment of her and just make her out to be she's just like everyone else.

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The cast is 99.9% black :martin:

Most of the writers are black

There isnt a "black" way to direct a show so i dont see how Murai being asian plays a part in any of this:stopitslime:

he directed most of binos videos before this so it makes sense he'd work with someone who understands his vision
But what about them ecxecxec producers though? Seriously watch the red carpet extra to hear how they talk about the show 1:40

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
But what about them ecxecxec producers though? Seriously watch the red carpet extra to hear how they talk about the show 1:40

Executive producers are the plugs :heh: there are hardly any black execs with pull in television, i got a homie on that career path right now and there's a shyt ton of roadblocks for nikkas still in place

they got a ton of black people involved on this shyt and you nitpicking because it isn't 100% black from the execs all the way down to the PA's :beli:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Funniest show of its type since the Boondocks. Finally watching this. Unfortunately watching this on Demand and I keep having to rewind.. Tried 3 times to get past the Tranny/jail scene in ep. 2 and can't stop laughing. I'm going to make eventually but I'm tears. This grown Riley talking about "niguh you gay!":mjlol: