FX’s Class of ’09 limited series (Starring Brian Tyree Henry and Kate Mara)

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Someone catch me up on the overarching plot of this show so far. I’ve watch 2-3 episodes and am not 100% into it, I don’t want to restart it but I’m missing how the Mara chick eventually seems to end up on the outside

Show has 3 timelines
  • Past/Trainee Timeline
    • How did Tyree get to run things? How did he even get on the force with his fat ass?
    • How did ol girl lose her eye? Is she gonna be any good at the job?
    • And how did the MIT Arab chick get the FBI to start using data science?
  • Present day timeline
    • What's the crazy white guy trying to do?
      • Apparently blow up the FBI building in DC
    • How does Tyree move up the ranks?
      • Using the new computer system?
    • How does MIT Arab lose her computer project to the "suits"?
      • Not even sure how they're gonna play this, but we're lead to believe that cross referencing all the law enforcement data is a good thing (See Palantir and all the other companies already doing this, and been doing this since before Ed Snowden)
  • Future Timeline
    • MIT Arab is no longer with the FBI
      • her and white girl might have been a thang, or Jasmine maybe wanted it to be a thang. But MIT Arab is PAWGING
    • The "minority report" AI is arresting people and they don't know why (The Black Box Problem of all AI).
    • White girl discovers a member of the "resistance", and now she wants to get to the bottom of things
    • Brian Tyree may know that the AI has "gone rogue" and doesn't seem to care, just as long as America is safe. He's trying to stay in charge, even though crime is way down. Damn Senate wants to take his job...
If the show ends up with Paperboi manufacturing a crime in order to stay in power....

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Show has 3 timelines
  • Past/Trainee Timeline
    • How did Tyree get to run things? How did he even get on the force with his fat ass?
  • Present day timeline
      • Not even sure how they're gonna play this, but we're lead to believe that cross referencing all the law enforcement data is a good thing (See Palantir and all the other companies already doing this, and been doing this since before Ed Snowden)
  • Future Timeline
      • her and white girl might have been a thang, or Jasmine maybe wanted it to be a thang. But MIT Arab is PAWGING
    • The "minority report" AI is arresting people and they don't know why (The Black Box Problem of all AI).
    • White girl discovers a member of the "resistance", and now she wants to get to the bottom of things
    • Brian Tyree may know that the AI has "gone rogue" and doesn't seem to care, just as long as America is safe. He's trying to stay in charge, even though crime is way down. Damn Senate wants to take his job...
If the show ends up with Paperboi manufacturing a crime in order to stay in power....
Good synopsis, they are also trying to stop alt right i think some one said in here, which was why paperboi was trippin on the white boy in training

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Good synopsis, they are also trying to stop alt right i think some one said in here, which was why paperboi was trippin on the white boy in training

Given that it's Fox, I wonder if "The Black Guy" (a diversity hire, who had to use cheap tricks to get into the FBI!) wanting to stop the "Good Americans" is what leads to the "Police State".

Can never be sure about the any of the meta-narratives on Fox.

With 24 and The Shield, even their entertainment has an "agenda".

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Given that it's Fox, I wonder if "The Black Guy" (a diversity hire, who had to use cheap tricks to get into the FBI!) wanting to stop the "Good Americans" is what leads to the "Police State".

Can never be sure about the any of the meta-narratives on Fox.

With 24 and The Shield, even their entertainment has an "agenda".
You see it too :mjpls:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Show has 3 timelines
  • Past/Trainee Timeline
  • Present day timeline
  • Future Timeline
How do you think the milktoast white guy, who was boning Mara in the past, seemed to be in line for what Tayo is doing in the future in the present and is I don't know some lonely guy in love with Mara still in the future plays into the plot? He is ome of the 4 main characters according to the poster.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
How do you think the milktoast white guy, who was boning Mara in the past, seemed to be in line for what Tayo is doing in the future in the present and is I don't know some lonely guy in love with Mara still in the future plays into the plot? He is ome of the 4 main characters according to the poster.

I think his character had everything handed to him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was up to some chicanery as well. Cause he seems to be the one tasking Mara, so maybe he has other goals...

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think his character had everything handed to him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was up to some chicanery as well. Cause he seems to be the one tasking Mara, so maybe he has other goals...
What this show is actually about has been purposely hidden. The promos just say Class of 09' and present Mara and Paper Boi as the draws. I think they are setting up a major misdirect but where and in what vein is unclear.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
What this show is actually about has been purposely hidden. The promos just say Class of 09' and present Mara and Paper Boi as the draws. I think they are setting up a major misdirect but where and in what vein is unclear.

I think the show was written and shot before ChatGPT was in the zeitgeist.

If the AI is really the black box that we think AI is now, as opposed to say what they did with West World S3 and S4 - that would make for an interesting show - even though it'd be the same basic story as West World.

"Free will", blah blah, "Destroy the machine"...blah...we are free with an uncertain future - which is basically the world we live in now.

That show with Taraji P. Henderson and dude from Lost that was on CBS - really dealt with the same type of issues.

Even if it's a paint by numbers sci-fi script, something about PaperBoi makes this interesting to me. Mara ain't no slouch, but they're not giving her much to do here. Crazy Ammon Bundy/Montana Rancher dude is getting the most love script wise, because we wonder what he knows.

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
I've watched all the eps so far this is one of the shows I watch while working

not bad at all and I'm pretty picky

unsure of what's coming next

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
is it good?

heard the show was mid so i haven't checked it out yet.

It's not prestige TV.

It's on the level of say The Peripheral, second season of Altered Carbon. If you like this type of thing, it's good. If not, I'd skip. There's so much good tv, movies, music, video games (and books, manga, comic books, anime) out there, that there's no point in dealing with stuff that's only mid