FX & Donald Glover present Atlanta Season 2: Atlanta Robbin' Season

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Nothing funnier than folks trying to justify the episode saying "you don't get all the symbolism" and going back and seeing nothing but half assed symbolism talked about by those same people.

Wasn't feeling this episode. I'll give it a second watch to see if I missed something but off first viewing this was some bullshyt.

Anahita

All Star
Daps
It’s not specifically MJ. Teddy Perkins is more of a parable. MJ is just the best physical manifestation we have of a genius who was molded by pain and abuse.

I think that there were three parables told in tonight's episode:

1. The cost of being successful within the system of white supremacy.
2. The cost of being Black in the Entertainment industry.
3. The cost of believing your Black child's humanity is a necessary sacrifice in order for them to be successful in the world.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
It’s not specifically MJ. Teddy Perkins is more of a parable. MJ is just the best physical manifestation we have of a genius who was molded by pain and abuse.
Plus it was like he didn't even realize his father was a piece of shyt since that's the only father he ever had, he didn't have anything better to compare it to. When he was saying he wanted a museum for great fathers he mentioned joe jackson, marvin gay sr and someone else. This episode was incredible. So creative, disturbing, and insightful. idk what to say.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After watching it twice and processing everything. This is what I generally gathered even though there's plenty of symbolism and allegories in this episode. OBVIOUSLY this episode is about the duality of Michael Jackson. Even though Teddy and Benny are physically not the same person, metaphorically they are the same individual. Teddy is who Michael was in public, and Benny is who he really was inside; a tormented soul. The fact that Benny was hidden away down in the basement makes it obvious to that allegory of Michael's true-self was pushed and suppressed. Even his true identity was hidden and discarded. Both Teddy can Benny wants to liberate themselves from their pain. Teddy on one hand, needed someone used as a "sacrificial lamb" to murder Benny, liberating himself from suppressed pain that he endured and live the public eye. Teddy on the other hand cannot allow that "public lie" which was Benny to keep on living, he also doesn't want to live himself because of living in torment. This is why Benny killed Teddy and then himself.

Being that this is obviously an allegory to Michael Jackson's last days. To include the daddy issues and all of that, where Darius comes in, from how I see it, is that he plays the role of CONRAD MURRAY. As we recall, Conrad Murray was MJ's physician who went to prison for MJ's death, despite the fact it was per instruction by Michael, himself. What I presume Donald Glover was suggesting was that Michael Jackson was preparing to kill himself and forced Conrad Murray to do just that. Maybe due to him being depressed or addicted, but Darius was the sacrificial lamb just like Conrad Murray.

Another thing, speaking of duality, this adds more character growth into Darius. From his perspective, Teddy is a warning of who Darius could end up becoming and him witnessing that may help come to terms to his torment. We never really seen how Darius is in 3-dimensional. He usually be that one-dimensional... always that weird nikka that think outside the box. It is revealed in this episode that Darius had an equally difficult upbringing with his own father which in part helped molded him to be the person that he was. That whole time, it could of been a mask he was wearing and he buried his own true self in the same sense of Teddy/Benny. And now he was faced to that hash reality that in the future episodes, he may become a changed man.