Fruitvale Station is gonna be the next classic Black movie

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
I'ma do whatever I can to support this. Even if it means I have to take a taxi to some strange, expensive indie theater and spend like 50 dollars just to view it.

Last black indie classic I saw :

U18PrNS.jpg

shorty was so bad :to:

seen it on netflix this college chick i talked to put me in thought shorty was dope but she lame (college chick not the shorty in the movie )

aint playing no where where im at going to support it tho if it its nationwide

what make shyt cray my jumpoff ask me to take here :scusthov: i only get from dome from shorty but i cant believe she knew about the movie :krs:

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
After seeing it, I thought it was good, especially for a debut feature film, but sadly, not as excellent as all the praise had me expecting it to be. They did a great job of making him human, including showing his very real flaws and failings. The real problem with the film is something I can't totally blame the director for- it's his inexperienced and somewhat amateur direction. He's a young, enthusiastic dude, so I'm sure this will be improved in the future, but there was a lot of hammy, stock characterization (including things that never happened irl, but are here added for dramatic effect,) and at its worst, the script was so full of clichés that it overshadowed and siphoned all the emotion out of the scene, which says a lot considering that his death is looming over the entire film. Again, though, it's his first big feature- I'm sure he'll improve.

And either way, the film is pure Oscar-bait. White liberals will love it and shower it with praise regardless of how good it actually is, just like they did with Crash (though I don't want to suggest that this film is on the same level as that trash.)

I disagree. Im far from white and i felt the emotion in this movie. Yes it was flawed, yes there were cliches. But doesn't that sum up literally 99.9% of all movies released. Please point me to these flawless movies without cliches sir.

There has NEVER been a biopic that has not taken dramatic license. I think that any black man that sees this movie and doesnt come out of it shaken, mad,or had some strong reaction to it is lost. I looked at it as a viewer, not as a fake Roger Ebert, and it did its job. It presented Oscar as a fully realized human being that was gunned down like a animal by someone who viewed us as such.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It was good, it had a couple moments that seemed very hackneyed and took me out of the film (the dog scene and the weed at the beach scene to be exact) but it was very well done and based on the amount of crying that took place in the theater I was in by the end of the movie it packed the desired emotional response.