:pacspit:
We driving
:scheme:

Being from the Bay...
dayam, its been a minute since a movie has provided the visuals to represent
also the culture and music
This is why I shyt on Coach Carter and refuse to watch it ever again
No Bay culture, no Richmond shyt.
They shoulda just changed the city altogether.
:facepalm:

I used to regularly go to Fruitvale Station
(Grandma lived in Jingletown growing up)

Didn't know these cats hopped on BART at the South Hayward station
(used to catch Bart from there to go to Pop-Warner practice when I stayed off Tennyson in the H-Stack)

Anyone from the bay knows the Marina is the late-night fuk spot
(Only used it once, my spot was on the hill in the CSU Hayward parking lot)

When the Mac Dre song came on
:blessed:

I gotta watch something else to kill this bad spirit tho
Its my bday weekend and im heading out to party
tryn to be positive​

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
been waiting to catch this flick for a while...

whilst impressed, think some of the movie was unfairly dramatised (and i'm saying that as a black man)

the scene with the white woman in the grocery store - fiction. only added to support the positive opinion of homie
his mama's birthday happening the day before - fiction. see above
throwing the weed in the sea - fiction. see above
the dead dog scene - fiction. see above

there's no doubt that was a star turn by my nikka wallace, but i wish the writer/director hadn't gone so hard with the positive treatment of oscar's character. nikka was a petty thug, keep it 100. don't feed us this schmaltzy, saccharine sh1t with dude rolling around like the patron saint of the community as it just devalues the movie IMO

a young nikka lost his life over some bullsh1t, period. regardless of the type of cat he was, that fact remains. whether he was portrayed as a gun-toting gangsta or a nikka saving cats from trees my view on the atrocity of that act wouldn't have changed. but as i said before, movie should definitely be heralded as a sign of a major up and coming talent. jordan owned that role. here's hoping he manages to stay relevant and gets the roles his talent deserves. remember watching tate as o-dog and being similarly blown away only for his career to stall and be fed weak tv sitcom scraps for the rest of his career

Daps
Great movie. Best movie I've seen all year.

been waiting to catch this flick for a while...

whilst impressed, think some of the movie was unfairly dramatised (and i'm saying that as a black man)

the scene with the white woman in the grocery store - fiction. only added to support the positive opinion of homie
his mama's birthday happening the day before - fiction. see above
throwing the weed in the sea - fiction. see above
the dead dog scene - fiction. see above

there's no doubt that was a star turn by my nikka wallace, but i wish the writer/director hadn't gone so hard with the positive treatment of oscar's character. nikka was a petty thug, keep it 100. don't feed us this schmaltzy, saccharine sh1t with dude rolling around like the patron saint of the community as it just devalues the movie IMO

a young nikka lost his life over some bullsh1t, period. regardless of the type of cat he was, that fact remains. whether he was portrayed as a gun-toting gangsta or a nikka saving cats from trees my view on the atrocity of that act wouldn't have changed. but as i said before, movie should definitely be heralded as a sign of a major up and coming talent. jordan owned that role. here's hoping he manages to stay relevant and gets the roles his talent deserves. remember watching tate as o-dog and being similarly blown away only for his career to stall and be fed weak tv sitcom scraps for the rest of his career

First, I feel like an idiot for not realizing that was Wallace...I knew that nikka, looked familiar. :snoop:

Secondly, I think the positive reinforcements, were appropriate. They did show that he was thugged the fukk out, but I tihnk they wanted to show he was also a good dude in other aspects. People are complex. Personally, I know plenty of thugged out dudes who have that kind of attitude. They're always trying to help folks out and shyt, lending helping hands, and trying to diffuse situations. I thought one of the best scenes in the movie was when his mom's visit's him in the prison. He's talking all this positive shyt, like he's being real with her, yet refuses to address what's happened to his face...what's really going on in there. It causes her to flip out and proclaim she's 'done.' She's had enough of his bullshyt...he wants people to ignore the negative side of his life and actions, but they're there; they can't be ignored. I've seen that kind of confrontation wayyy too many times.

All that is to say, I get what they were trying to do with that stuff, and, while they may've OD'd a little bit with it, I think they did a good job in executing it.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How did I not know about this movie until now is beyond me. I just watched the rip, but I have to support this movie in anyway I can (missed out on the big screen released so I have to wait for the b-ray drop). It didn't make me want to shed a tear it just made me legit mad if anything. A young brother lost his life over nothing at all.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this film. The scene where he's lying in bed and it shows him running around with his daughter on his back :to:. That's one thing that Wallace did really well in the film, the way he related to his daughter. You could feel he was the father, no acting.

BART and every police/traffic enforcement department :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

Top 3 definitely, possibly best. Don't know what's better, this or 12 Years as a Slave

RIP Oscar Grant

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I've watched this movie 3 times over the last 2 days.Thought is was OK the first time but I've liked it more each time I saw it

Wallace killed his role for the most part.Him constantly saying bruh was annoying but I understand that's just how some nikkas are,kinda like how a lot of east coast nikkas used to say yamean or yamsaying after every fukking sentence

Getting 11 months for killing a black man tho :snoop:

Shows you just how much the system values us....Michael Vick did more time for killing some fukking dogs

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great movie. Best movie I've seen all year.

First, I feel like an idiot for not realizing that was Wallace...I knew that nikka, looked familiar. :snoop:

Secondly, I think the positive reinforcements, were appropriate. They did show that he was thugged the fukk out, but I tihnk they wanted to show he was also a good dude in other aspects. People are complex. Personally, I know plenty of thugged out dudes who have that kind of attitude. They're always trying to help folks out and shyt, lending helping hands, and trying to diffuse situations. I thought one of the best scenes in the movie was when his mom's visit's him in the prison. He's talking all this positive shyt, like he's being real with her, yet refuses to address what's happened to his face...what's really going on in there. It causes her to flip out and proclaim she's 'done.' She's had enough of his bullshyt...he wants people to ignore the negative side of his life and actions, but they're there; they can't be ignored. I've seen that kind of confrontation wayyy too many times.

All that is to say, I get what they were trying to do with that stuff, and, while they may've OD'd a little bit with it, I think they did a good job in executing it.

you made some good points, think ima watch it again....

you're right though, thugs can definitely sometimes be conflicted souls...but i know even you gave it the :snoop: face when you saw the dog scene!!

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
just watched it...it was very good.
had to stop myself from having a tear in my eye twice..wasn't expecting that at all.

the scene in prison were his mother tells him she's done and he wanted a hug and the scenes were he had his last conversation with his daughter/the daughter asking where he was in the shower then cutting to black..man.. they hit close to home in certain ways when it comes to me and people i know.

the dog scene had me like :stopitslime:

also, helping the girl with the fish and then the guy with the pregnant wife..i felt like they should have just included one of those things.
i mean both can happen but in the very same day where he also did that with the dog, throw away a zip which he could have made money out of and sort of vowed to turn his life around and then not get the chance to because he got innocently killed..was maybe just a bit much.

those small faults never took away from the film for me though.
it all felt authentic and it invoked some sort of emotion..good performances..all in all, the film did exactly what it supposed to do.

KAWS

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Land of Pleasant Living
just watched it...it was very good.
had to stop myself from having a tear in my eye twice..wasn't expecting that at all.

the scene in prison were his mother tells him she's done and he wanted a hug and the scenes were he had his last conversation with his daughter/the daughter asking where he was in the shower then cutting to black..man.. they hit close to home in certain ways when it comes to me and people i know.

the dog scene had me like :stopitslime:

also, helping the girl with the fish and then the guy with the pregnant wife..i felt like they should have just included one of those things.
i mean both can happen but in the very same day where he also did that with the dog, throw away a zip which he could have made money out of and sort of vowed to turn his life around and then not get the chance to because he got innocently killed..was maybe just a bit much.

those small faults never took away from the film for me though.
it all felt authentic and it invoked some sort of emotion..good performances..all in all, the film did exactly what it supposed to do.

The two scenes you said could've been excluded were kinda awkward but they both served a purpose.

Fish girl: She recognized him on the train, and her saying his name is what started the fight. It showed how random his death was. He doesn't help her out earlier. He goes unnoticed on the train. He lives.

Pregnant lady: Her husband offered him work. The scene showed that despite his past, he still had opportunity and infinite potential, because at his core he was a decent human being.