Fruitvale Station is gonna be the next classic Black movie

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Movie was boring to me until it got to the end. There was almost no entertainment value. It was just a regular dude living his life who got shot at the end. I know that sounds jacked up to say in a movie with this subject material but my girl paid 20 bucks for us to watch a movie and i dont feel like she got her moneys worth. There was an hour of nothing and like 15 minutes of movie at the end. It was very well done for what it was but what it was wasnt a movie. This should have been a docu-drama on PBS or something, not a feature film.

Last edited:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Movie was boring to me until it got to the end. There was almost no entertainment value. It was just a regular dude living his life who got shot at the end. I know that sounds jacked up to say in a movie with this subject material but my girl paid 20 bucks for us to watch a movie and i dont feel like she got her moneys worth. There was an hour of nothing and like 15 minutes of movie at the end. It was very well done for what it was but what it was wasnt a movie. This should have been a docu-drama on PBS or something, not a feature film.

Sheff you my nikka but... :wtf:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Sheff you my nikka but... :wtf:

That seemed like it would have been more at home on HBO.

I can't give something classic movie status when it wasn't a movie. It was a day in the life of someone who was tragically killed. There was no plot and there was one good scene (the jail visit one) in the first hour of the movie. Can you honestly sit here and tell me you would watch that again on your own time?

It was a documentary to show Oscar was a normal guy living his life and was killed by the police. The way he died was the only thing that seperates what we saw on the screen from something that could have been put together for thousands of others who were murdered.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
saw this yesterday, hands down the realest movie of the past 10 years at least. they captured the essence of cali so damn well

i was just as :sadcam: when he dumped that zip as when he died

LMFAO!!!!!! I was the same way. I was "nikka what is you doing, at least sell it".

The movie was good up until the shooting. Once that shooting happened it went to excellent. No Spike Lee overdramatic stuff. Just felt real. I give this director much props. Yes, it had that independent movie feel but I'm cool with that. Michael B Jordan. I'm sure yall gonna fry me but I liked him as Oscar. But the problem was he wasn't convincing when he was "niguh" Oscar. Didn't convince me he was tough at all. He just didn't have that hood vibe (i.e. Larenz Tate or Denzel in Training Day). Now, when he was being a father, boyfriend, his interaction with White people etc. Positive Oscar. He was very convincing. Not sure if this will nominated but this is the best independent Black movie I've seen since Pariah.

Yeah that stood out early to me when he was trying to scream on his boss. The only unconvincing part of the movie for me from Jordan.

Yeah I don't think I could watch it again. I do want to show it to my future kids though.

I took my daughters to. Loved when they showed the result of the case my oldest daughter screaming out that's some bull crap. That and the fact that they loved the movie.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Just saw it an hour ago...

I haven't cried in years man but, I cried when he was laying on the ground and spitting up blood, talking about his daughter. I cried when his mom had to look at his dead body. shyt was just fukked up to watch.

The tall bald headed cop wanted to hold Oscar's hands and comfort him when his ass riled up the situation to begin with. Asking the other cop (who shot Oscar) why he did it like he wasn't instigating everything up to that point, pulling nikkas off the train and beating on them. You may not have shot Oscar but, you played a part too muthafukka :ufdup:

11 months, B. People doing 20, 30 years for murder and he did 11 fukking months :pacspit: You thought your gun was a taser nikka???? You confused that heavy ass black steel gun with that yellow plastic taser :pacspit:

And that white boy. He started the whole fight and probably went home that night and laughed about it :pacspit:

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Saw it last Thursday with the wife. No lie the scene where his mother was begging to hug his body because he "didn't like to be alone" almost got me brehs. I had to keep reminding myself I was a man and that this was the harsh reality of growing up as a black male but I felt wetness on my lids brehs:sadcam:.

Excellent movie. I made a POINT to make this the first movie I saw in theaters since I've gotten back from Afghanistan. I was going to go see The Wolverine but in the end THIS is a movie that every single black American should go support, only problem is I saw it in the MIDDLE of the damn day and after it was over I didn't even feel like doing anything but reflecting. My wife wanted to go get ice cream and shyt and enjoy the day and I gave her the:childplease:. shyt was just heavy on my mind...

One thing is for sure. Michael B. Jordan just became a star.....

My mom and my sisters were on the same shyt...

Did we not just watch the same movie? :childplease:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
:wow:

Definitely a bit manipulative in spurts...but overall one of the best films this year.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That seemed like it would have been more at home on HBO.

I can't give something classic movie status when it wasn't a movie. It was a day in the life of someone who was tragically killed. There was no plot and there was one good scene (the jail visit one) in the first hour of the movie. Can you honestly sit here and tell me you would watch that again on your own time?

It was a documentary to show Oscar was a normal guy living his life and was killed by the police. The way he died was the only thing that seperates what we saw on the screen from something that could have been put together for thousands of others who were murdered.

Classic examples of someone talking in depth about a subject - films - that they know absolutely nothing about.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
seen this recently and i think it opens an discussion on a couple of things. I do however feel that some scenarios could've been stretched more.

Daps
Honestly, there wasn't really anything special about this, certainly too much redemption/second chance/sympathy swaying for my liking. I agree with dude above that it probably shouldn't have been a feature film, in a cinematic/entertainment sense, but at the same time I can't deny its importance.

The only thing that made me emotional about it was the realization that we will never get to see the end of Trayvon's life depicted factually, there'll be no closure on that. That's the biggest shame of all.

Daps
Perfectly put - that's why I can't really give it merit as a film.