Fruitvale Station is gonna be the next classic Black movie

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
they just made oscar grant in this movie look like a decent father. ya'll know damn well he was a dead beat......i mean cmon he did some time in prison and was a hot head.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched it tonight, and I didn't make it in time for the beginning. Came 15 minutes into it, saw I never the video footage.

But the way he got shot just left me cold, I literally didn't make eye contact with a single White person on my home, on the train(and my area is majority White).

I felt deflated(like everyone has said), confused, and a little angry. Just the way he was shot, in the back like that.

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The movie was good up until the shooting. Once that shooting happened it went to excellent. No Spike Lee overdramatic stuff. Just felt real. I give this director much props. Yes, it had that independent movie feel but I'm cool with that. Michael B Jordan. I'm sure yall gonna fry me but I liked him as Oscar. But the problem was he wasn't convincing when he was "niguh" Oscar. Didn't convince me he was tough at all. He just didn't have that hood vibe (i.e. Larenz Tate or Denzel in Training Day). Now, when he was being a father, boyfriend, his interaction with White people etc. Positive Oscar. He was very convincing. Not sure if this will nominated but this is the best independent Black movie I've seen since Pariah.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But the problem was he wasn't convincing when he was "niguh" Oscar. Didn't convince me he was tough at all. He just didn't have that hood vibe (i.e. Larenz Tate or Denzel in Training Day). Now, when he was being a father, boyfriend, his interaction with White people etc. Positive Oscar. He was very convincing. .

Maybe that was the intent, maybe that was the vibe he felt about Oscar. From what he learned of him.

Nymeria

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Dorne.
Maybe that was the intent, maybe that was the vibe he felt about Oscar. From what he learned of him.

I was going to say something similar. Maybe he was portrayed as someone who adopted a thug persona because of the environment he was in, but it wasn't truly who he was, hence why he switched out of it around his family and friends.

61 Corpses

The Breh
Daps
Reppin
The movie was good up until the shooting. Once that shooting happened it went to excellent. No Spike Lee overdramatic stuff. Just felt real. I give this director much props. Yes, it had that independent movie feel but I'm cool with that. Michael B Jordan. I'm sure yall gonna fry me but I liked him as Oscar. But the problem was he wasn't convincing when he was "niguh" Oscar. Didn't convince me he was tough at all. He just didn't have that hood vibe (i.e. Larenz Tate or Denzel in Training Day). Now, when he was being a father, boyfriend, his interaction with White people etc. Positive Oscar. He was very convincing. Not sure if this will nominated but this is the best independent Black movie I've seen since Pariah.
He convinced me as hood Oscar. shyt, it was basically how Wallace would of been had he not got killed in The Wire

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Man I was strong through the whole movie until they showed his real daughter at the end. I had to head tilt like a motherfukker. Movie was pretty powerful dog. The perfect timing for it to drop too.
It almost got me when she was like, "Where's daddy". But I stood strong and refused to let that tear drop.

:salute:

They kept hittin you with the real images of the protest too after that, and then silence after that shower scene.

Almost got me "bruh"

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah the movie deserves something. On the part where the screen went black you heard nothing but :sadbron: and sniffles
Yeah, I took my moms and I could hear her sniffling. I was good though, but they cut to the footage of the protest and showed his daughter in real life and that shyt almost got me.

:whew:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Man, if this shyt isn't showing around here next week I'm driving 60 miles to see it. Almost did last weekend, but hoped it would be here this week....nope. :damn:

Might make it a 2-fer and see something with it.