Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
Freddie loves getting outrapped by Black Thought. He tries to redeem himself but it mever happens :russ:

But anyway 4/5 for me. Great sequence i just hate how the samples sometimes overpower Gibbs vocals. Fake names beat switch is flames Gibbs road the hell out that beat
I think Madlib just sends him the finished beat and he just lays his vocals on top

classicmaterial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
So if Madlib made all the beats on his iPad and the Palmolive beat is from Raw Cakes then did he remake the beat? Cause those tapes are old and I don't think iPads existed at the time.

Or those tapes are just fake and he just happened to use the same sample as one of those beats

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Po-po pulled me over with a half a kilo and a ruger
I can't move the same, I gotta readdress how I maneuver

full

Daps
Pusha's verse had my homie half out of the car waiting to for him to finish before getting out.

Album of the decade, I can't even recall a release this well put together, with this amount of artistry, the complexity that has me still digesting it while listening nonstop since a day before it's release...

I do think Freddie could have done some more as far as tracks with legit substance are concerned. His older shyt shows he can tell a story and hold a narrative with ease, sometimes I wish he'd stray from the trapping rhymes and do some shyt with some soul like Practice has, but all in all it sounds like a timeless release.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Freddie loves getting outrapped by Black Thought. He tries to redeem himself but it mever happens :russ:

But anyway 4/5 for me. Great sequence i just hate how the samples sometimes overpower Gibbs vocals. Fake names beat switch is flames Gibbs road the hell out that beat

Nah. BT got him on Extradite but Gibbs had the best verse on Education imo

My only real complaint is that the 2nd beat on tha beat switches were usually inferior to whatever the 1st one was. Sometimes you gotta let a fire beat just ride out...."Cataracts" is a good example. Goes from a godly sample and feel to a kinda basic Dilla throwaway kinda beat

Just let tha shyt ride out, Lib

Im on my 10th listen and i like tha album more after each listen....i know the mixing is a lil off in spots but this shyt just goes. Theres enough variety/substance lyrically so its not just a guns n kilos feel all tha time. Cant see why anyone would hate on this

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think Madlib just sends him the finished beat and he just lays his vocals on top

I don't know who mixed the album, but it was mastered by the legendary Bernie Grundman, who has done a variety of classic albums including two of the best sounding albums of all tiome - Steely Dan's Aja, and The Chronic. Everything sounds great except for the mixing levels between samples and vocals. It's not noticeable on every track, at least.

I do like how some of the vocals are distorted, depending on the tone/feel of the record. The vocals on Practice sound...naked, alone, like he's confessing in a large empty room. Fits the track perfect. And then the second half of Half Manne Half Cocaine just has some wild, stark vocal distortion that just...works.

speaking of aja whew

:blessed:

recognize the sample?

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
I'm in the minority but that beat switch on Fake Names is :ohlawd:

Gibbs rode the fukk out that beat and was in the pocket the entire track
I wish they would have split that into separate tracks. That first beats takes me to another world. Then right when I get there, I get taken back out. Not because the 2nd beat isn't dope, but because the beat switch happens so quickly. Don't really get a chance to fully vibe out to it. That coulda been a smash single if they made the first beat into a longer track on its own. shyt is too fukkin dope. I like the 2nd beat too, just not on that track. That's really my only complaint from the album. Despite that, I still love the track :manny: