Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Crashwd5

Pro
Daps
Ive played this about 6 times, gibbs is one of my favorite rappers but i wasn't feeling him on this

The beats where :mj:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Freddie Gibbs Sheds Tears Discussing False Imprisonment In Rare MadGibbs Interview

The brilliant partnership of Madlib and Freddie Gibbs recently dropped off Bandana, a strong contender for album of the year thus far. Today, Gibbs stopped by Hot 97 to check in with Peter Rosenberg, who consistently showed his support throughout a trying time. The impact of Bandana is certainly not lost on Gibbs, who wrote the majority of the project while facing ten years in prison over a false accusation. "Just to be here with you dawg," says Gibbs. "I know three years where I was at." He proceeds to thank Rosenberg for supporting him during a tough time, getting visibly emotional as he speaks.

"I know what I did to make this project," he says. "There was a lot of bad nights. A lot of rough nights. A lot of things that I didn't want to see." Tears begin to flow. "Things I still deal with mentally. This album was a form of therapy. It was therapeutic. I said a lot of things on this record that maybe I wouldn't have said if I wasn't facing ten years in prison. This album is my baby. It got me back to my babies. It got me back to being who I'm supposed to be."

"I wrote eighty percent of this when I was in the cell," says Gibbs. "Jail, it is what it is. I'm a man. If I would have went to jail for some drug shyt or whatever, it is what it is. I can take that on the chin and do it. But I couldn't sit in there for no shyt like that. That's what was really breaking me. To come out of that, just sitting with you bro, I don't take a second, a day, a minute, none of that for granted."

Afterward, Rosenberg pulls out an additional surprise, bringing the elusive Madlib into the fold for a rare radio interview. Upon his arrival, the bromance becomes evident, as MadGibbs share an epic embrace. "I just do the music," says Madlib, revealing hasn't done a radio interview in ten-plus years. "My favorite rapper, dead or alive," says Madlib, on his rhyming partner. "I knew his stuff, when he was on the XXL cover, I knew all his stuff." These days, however, Madlib is far less concerned with what's happening in the culture. "When I'm out in the club I hear what's going on," he shrugs.

Rosenberg remarks that Bandana carried on the legacy once sparked by JayLib, Madlib's partnership with J. Dilla. "Yes sir," agrees the producer. "I'm very proud of this album. I cleared all the samples for once!" Luckily, Bandana is but one of many chapters. "There's gon' be volumes of this," confirms Gibbs. "This ain't gon' ever stop."

"This album is my baby, because it got me back to my babies"

:mjcry:

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
where is this directors cut yall speak of? its not streaming on the platforms yet is it?

Daps
Played the entire MadGibbs discography this week. What a duo. Just a crazy random pairing no one ever seen coming or ever thought would be produce such great music. They just gel organically. We might have to put this up with Jaylib or Madvillany chaps. Every time they drop I go back to my pads and my rhymes and get inspired. Just great shyt.

This one of the reason I will never stop producing music. Its a feeling I cant describe...especially when you come across “that” sample :wow::mjcry: might not be no better feeling

Daps
By the time nikkas show you love, you don't even want it
full

Aint that the truth :francis:

I felt that bar :wow:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
This bozo said he's better than DOOM. Gibbs & Benny, while both dope, are without question the 2 most overrated cats in this quasi underground lane.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Madlib said Ye and Kendrick got 40 songs over his beats, No More Parties in LA was just the only one they put out:mjtf:

I need the Ye-less version of all of those:stopitslime:
kendrick hella annoying.

dude probably got hours of classics on the cutting room floor because he got weird ass dre perfectionist tendencies.

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
This one of the reason I will never stop producing music. Its a feeling I cant describe...especially when you come across “that” sample :wow::mjcry: might not be no better feeling

I tell people being creative in any form is the closest thing we as human beings can be to GOD

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Freddie Gibbs Sheds Tears Discussing False Imprisonment In Rare MadGibbs Interview

The brilliant partnership of Madlib and Freddie Gibbs recently dropped off Bandana, a strong contender for album of the year thus far. Today, Gibbs stopped by Hot 97 to check in with Peter Rosenberg, who consistently showed his support throughout a trying time. The impact of Bandana is certainly not lost on Gibbs, who wrote the majority of the project while facing ten years in prison over a false accusation. "Just to be here with you dawg," says Gibbs. "I know three years where I was at." He proceeds to thank Rosenberg for supporting him during a tough time, getting visibly emotional as he speaks.

"I know what I did to make this project," he says. "There was a lot of bad nights. A lot of rough nights. A lot of things that I didn't want to see." Tears begin to flow. "Things I still deal with mentally. This album was a form of therapy. It was therapeutic. I said a lot of things on this record that maybe I wouldn't have said if I wasn't facing ten years in prison. This album is my baby. It got me back to my babies. It got me back to being who I'm supposed to be."

"I wrote eighty percent of this when I was in the cell," says Gibbs. "Jail, it is what it is. I'm a man. If I would have went to jail for some drug shyt or whatever, it is what it is. I can take that on the chin and do it. But I couldn't sit in there for no shyt like that. That's what was really breaking me. To come out of that, just sitting with you bro, I don't take a second, a day, a minute, none of that for granted."

Afterward, Rosenberg pulls out an additional surprise, bringing the elusive Madlib into the fold for a rare radio interview. Upon his arrival, the bromance becomes evident, as MadGibbs share an epic embrace. "I just do the music," says Madlib, revealing hasn't done a radio interview in ten-plus years. "My favorite rapper, dead or alive," says Madlib, on his rhyming partner. "I knew his stuff, when he was on the XXL cover, I knew all his stuff." These days, however, Madlib is far less concerned with what's happening in the culture. "When I'm out in the club I hear what's going on," he shrugs.

Rosenberg remarks that Bandana carried on the legacy once sparked by JayLib, Madlib's partnership with J. Dilla. "Yes sir," agrees the producer. "I'm very proud of this album. I cleared all the samples for once!" Luckily, Bandana is but one of many chapters. "There's gon' be volumes of this," confirms Gibbs. "This ain't gon' ever stop."

Wow Madlib pulled up :mjcry: Gibbs broke down crying talking about this album.

Didn't know the arrest still weighed on him so heavily but I'm glad he was able to clear his name and I hope he is able to work though all this stuff mentally because I know it can't be easy. I'm glad I took the time out to listen to this interview.