Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Piff Tannen

Superstar
Daps
When I first started to read the comments in the thread and along with my cousin saying it was better than Pinata I immediately Had:childplease:, but it just might be brehs I don't know. One thing for sure Gibbs and Madlib did it again:wow:; Album of the fukking year this needs to be celebrated and recognized in the music /hip-hop industry and pick up some type hardware Grammy or hell a bet hip hop award something. Classic album; might have to fukk around use a sick a day or leave work early to see this nikka Gibbs and Madlib in Downtown LA this week.

Btw I know it's been talked about all throughout this thread, but still, that Pusha verse; a nikka had to stop what he was doing and just
4rDB.gif

:damn: this nikka Nip was downstairs when they were recording this. All that soul blasting out of dem speakers nothing possessed this man to come upstairs and lay verse; I could easily hear nip on cataracts or soul right I guess it wasn't mean't to be :to:

Last edited:

Piff Tannen

Superstar
Daps
Are there still tix for Madlib show at the Novo?

Yup this should be easier to buy compare to his last 3 concerts since it's at the Novo compared to those smaller more intimate venues. The was first two at the Roxy out 3 weeks prior and the resell were upwards to $150 and glasshouse in Pomona sold out with no resales.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Freddie Gibbs Sheds Tears Discussing False Imprisonment In Rare MadGibbs Interview

The brilliant partnership of Madlib and Freddie Gibbs recently dropped off Bandana, a strong contender for album of the year thus far. Today, Gibbs stopped by Hot 97 to check in with Peter Rosenberg, who consistently showed his support throughout a trying time. The impact of Bandana is certainly not lost on Gibbs, who wrote the majority of the project while facing ten years in prison over a false accusation. "Just to be here with you dawg," says Gibbs. "I know three years where I was at." He proceeds to thank Rosenberg for supporting him during a tough time, getting visibly emotional as he speaks.

"I know what I did to make this project," he says. "There was a lot of bad nights. A lot of rough nights. A lot of things that I didn't want to see." Tears begin to flow. "Things I still deal with mentally. This album was a form of therapy. It was therapeutic. I said a lot of things on this record that maybe I wouldn't have said if I wasn't facing ten years in prison. This album is my baby. It got me back to my babies. It got me back to being who I'm supposed to be."

"I wrote eighty percent of this when I was in the cell," says Gibbs. "Jail, it is what it is. I'm a man. If I would have went to jail for some drug shyt or whatever, it is what it is. I can take that on the chin and do it. But I couldn't sit in there for no shyt like that. That's what was really breaking me. To come out of that, just sitting with you bro, I don't take a second, a day, a minute, none of that for granted."

Afterward, Rosenberg pulls out an additional surprise, bringing the elusive Madlib into the fold for a rare radio interview. Upon his arrival, the bromance becomes evident, as MadGibbs share an epic embrace. "I just do the music," says Madlib, revealing hasn't done a radio interview in ten-plus years. "My favorite rapper, dead or alive," says Madlib, on his rhyming partner. "I knew his stuff, when he was on the XXL cover, I knew all his stuff." These days, however, Madlib is far less concerned with what's happening in the culture. "When I'm out in the club I hear what's going on," he shrugs.

Rosenberg remarks that Bandana carried on the legacy once sparked by JayLib, Madlib's partnership with J. Dilla. "Yes sir," agrees the producer. "I'm very proud of this album. I cleared all the samples for once!" Luckily, Bandana is but one of many chapters. "There's gon' be volumes of this," confirms Gibbs. "This ain't gon' ever stop."

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
Played the entire MadGibbs discography this week. What a duo. Just a crazy random pairing no one ever seen coming or ever thought would be produce such great music. They just gel organically. We might have to put this up with Jaylib or Madvillany chaps. Every time they drop I go back to my pads and my rhymes and get inspired. Just great shyt.