Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
I think Bandana flows better as an album but Piñata had more standout songs.

C/S. It sounds like Bandana was worked on with the two in the studio and thought of as a whole project. Pinata sounds more like emailed collaboration with some tracks that came out really strong but less cohesive as a whole.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
No doubt Black was ILL as hell, but to say Gibbs got murdered is a stretch. His lines went more under the radar. They attacked the track differently but both rode the beat exceptionally well.
It's comedy. Gibbs just did an interview for 92.3 and the host told him black got him on extradite, but he he got black on this one. Gibbs said he got redemption :mjgrin:.......but yea I thought black got extradite clearly, but education is much closer. My opinion on it changes by the day. They both brought their own flavor to it. Black droppin grown man bars. Gibbs straight flexing. They blacked out.

Also gotta give a respect to Mos since this was his track to begin with. He wasn't the best but he laid the blueprint for em.

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's comedy. Gibbs just did an interview for 92.3 and the host told him black got him on extradite, but he he got black on this one. Gibbs said he got redemption :mjgrin:.......but yea I thought black got extradite clearly, but education is much closer. My opinion on it changes by the day. They both killed it.

Steel sharpening steel:myman:

RasNas

Pro
Daps
So now after sitting and listening to the album on repeat for almost a week now I feel like I can finally expresd my right opinion about the album.

At first listen I thought it was dope and close to Pinata but not quite on the same level for some reason but after listening to it over and over I feel like Bandana got overall more replay value honestly.

Pinata got some songs that still beat most songs on Bandana. But bandana sounds far more cohesive and better as an album to listen to from start to finish.

I feel like Madlib stepped it up with the production as the beats were more creative and versatile to me. I also really like that Bandana has less features so we can hear more of Freddie in this project and he really shines throughout it.

Overall I'd rate the album a 9/10 and is by far the best rap album to come out this year so far.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Pinata has the highest highs(Deeper, Shame) sure but there was plenty of stuff there that was just ok(Harold's, High, etc) and it feltvlike a bunch of dope songs just stuc together

Bandana feels more cohesive, has better features, more varied topically, Gibbs sounds sharper on this, i like how Madlub updated his sound too

Bandana has much more replay imo. Pinata feels like a sketch at times

Pinata is 9
Bandana is a 9.1

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
anybody got the rip on the madlib invazion version?

criminology

hearse initiator
Daps
Reppin
Diamonds & Wood
So now after sitting and listening to the album on repeat for almost a week now I feel like I can finally expresd my right opinion about the album.

At first listen I thought it was dope and close to Pinata but not quite on the same level for some reason but after listening to it over and over I feel like Bandana got overall more replay value honestly.

Pinata got some songs that still beat most songs on Bandana. But bandana sounds far more cohesive and better as an album to listen to from start to finish.

I feel like Madlib stepped it up with the production as the beats were more creative and versatile to me. I also really like that Bandana has less features so we can hear more of Freddie in this project and he really shines throughout it.

Overall I'd rate the album a 9/10 and is by far the best rap album to come out this year so far.

Agreed especially about the features. Also hearing the best songs on Piñata months or years before the album came out hurt the overall impact. If I heard thuggin and shame when the album came out not sure I’d feel the same.

NYK Loyalist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still need to give this more spins to make a final decision but as of now this isn’t touching Piñata to me. So far Cataracts, Palmolive, Giannis and Practice are my favorites. I hate the mix on the song with Yaasin and Thought, I can’t listen to it.

Piñata only has a couple of joints I skip even today after years of listening to it. Maybe Bandana will grow on me but so far it’s a good follow up but not great.

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Yea, got a shipping notice last Wednesday/Thursday

My copy just arrived today but came in slightly damaged. Hoping to get it replaced. This cover is :whew:

The standard version is shipping at a later time they said

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I think Bandana flows better as an album but Piñata had more standout songs. Really dope project. Wish more people I knew in real life were checking for this.

C/S. It sounds like Bandana was worked on with the two in the studio and thought of as a whole project. Pinata sounds more like emailed collaboration with some tracks that came out really strong but less cohesive as a whole.

:jbhmm: maybe Im crazy cause I think Pinata actually flows better. Whole thing felt like a remixed blaxploitation soundtrack. On Bandana there is more of a variety in its sound. Not that I'm saying ones better than the other but the theme of Pinata is clearer to me.