Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
After further review I still have to give the edge to Pinata. Both brothas still showed out though like I said before. Freddie was consistent if not better than before. However Madlib was a bit more impressive on Pinata imo.
Agree but Gibbs also pick the beats. Still a very close follow up. With yet more stellar songs.

Like others said bandana need to be on here. I'm putting it right after the 1 or 2 on my folder

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Pinata still better imo. But this is a nice follow up
its tough. to me pinata was 8.5/10 this is like a 8.8/10

Pinata had Bomb, shytsville, Uno and Real
this has Situations, Giannis, Palmolive and Fake names

its verry tough

for me Pinata had some songs that were tight but i didnt care to bump as much as the ones i mentioned above...songs like Lakers and Broken.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Agree but Gibbs also pick the beats. Still a very close follow up. With yet more stellar songs.

Like others said bandana need to be on here. I'm putting it right after the 1 or 2 on my folder

Kyambo "Hip Hop" Joshua, ie Kanye's former manager and the guy who picked Hov's beats for yeasr, helped select beats too. I've seen a small camp of criticism of the beats coming from SOME (not all or even a large portion) of white hip hop nerds, who feel the soul loops are too basic compared to the eclectic, more diverse samples on Pinata. The soul shyt makes a lot of sense when you factor in that Kyambo was picking beats...of course Hov's dude is gonna gravitate to soul shyt. And it makes sense Gibbs would gravitate to that, plus the harder drums on here vs Pinata.

Another factor could be sample clearances. Would a major label have been able to clear all of Pinata's samples? I doubt it lol.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listened to the Director's Cut

The very beginning of the album has some extra shyt, just some shyt talking from Gibbs

Also at the end of Half Manne Half Cocaine there's a callback to Cocaine Piñata (the same sample that was also used for "Breaking Bad" off Baby Face Killa)

The outro of Fake Names is different and I think it's better

Flat Tummy Tea has the extended intro from the 12"

The ending of Situations is different and has a better lead-in to Giannis

The end of the album is different too. It doesn't have that beat that takes the album out and there's a quick vocal sample about listening to music

That's it

I like it more than the regular version but it's not like it's different enough where it matters
Could you rip that by chance, bruh :mjcry:

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
Bruh what does it sound like?
Listened to the Director's Cut

The very beginning of the album has some extra shyt, just some shyt talking from Gibbs

Also at the end of Half Manne Half Cocaine there's a callback to Cocaine Piñata (the same sample that was also used for "Breaking Bad" off Baby Face Killa)

The outro of Fake Names is different and I think it's better

Flat Tummy Tea has the extended intro from the 12"

The ending of Situations is different and has a better lead-in to Giannis

The end of the album is different too. It doesn't have that beat that takes the album out and there's a quick vocal sample about listening to music

That's it

I like it more than the regular version but it's not like it's different enough where it matters

is it mixed differently?

wenis

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Bruh what does it sound like?

Is it mixed differently?
It's definitely engineered and mastered for vinyl. It's quieter in the sense that I can turn the volume up and it doesn't sound like it's being crushed. I think it flows better with these longer intros/outros and switch ups on a few end samples. The throwback to Pinata is cool and gives the whole record this bigger scope to it. I think if someone already didn't like this album, it's not going to change their opinion, but the changes, as minor/major as you perceive them being are appreciated and I think make a slightly stronger project more cohesive.

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
yQ5QsWZ.jpg

my copy of the 'directors cut' came in today. scanned the cover and did some re-touches with photo reference, paint and whatever needed to be done.

damn, that was quick, thought they were shipping these out after 07/26? Did you get it from RappCats?