Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
:comeon: nah breh, might want to run those verses back
It's not even close to me. And it's not just the verses, it's their flows. Gibbs kinda came lazy for that beat. But I gotta give Gibbs respect cause those are the type of beats black thought shines on. Gibbs really didnt stand a chance there. But there's no shame in losing to a GOAT. Gibbs came off too, but Black went completely insane on that last verse. Not just the rhymes, but the way he rode that beat was godlike.

The anguish, and pain fit us well, 'cause it came with us
After all these years carrying this shame with us
Now the entire planet is going insane with us
Seven year old kids carrying flame spitters
Fortified fences, mortify senses
Crossfire, miss my little daughter by inches
Chemical dependence, medical expenses
But no amount of money on earth can buy vengeance
Writing a life sentence, sirens, fire engines
Tyrants, seen through the eyes of the wide lenses
Senseless crimes cause some of us want to drive Benzes
But are you tryna ride with us, or against us?

:damn:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's not even close to me. And it's not just the verses, it's their flows. Gibbs kinda came lazy for that beat. But I gotta give Gibbs respect cause those are the type of beats black thought shines on. Gibbs really didnt stand a chance there. But there's no shame in losing to a GOAT. Gibbs came off too, but Black went completely insane on that last verse. Not just the rhymes, but the way he rode that beat was godlike.

The anguish, and pain fit us well, 'cause it came with us
After all these years carrying this shame with us
Now the entire planet is going insane with us
Seven year old kids carrying flame spitters
Fortified fences, mortify senses
Crossfire, miss my little daughter by inches
Chemical dependence, medical expenses
But no amount of money on earth can buy vengeance
Writing a life sentence, sirens, fire engines
Tyrants, seen through the eyes of the wide lenses
Senseless crimes cause some of us want to drive Benzes
But are you tryna ride with us, or against us?

:damn:

No doubt Black was ILL as hell, but to say Gibbs got murdered is a stretch. His lines went more under the radar. They attacked the track differently but both rode the beat exceptionally well.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
New interview:

EDIT:

:mjlol: at the Jay-Z part.

Fred.

It was dope to see him be so honest and real at the end, it's not often that you get to see a rapper open up like that and actually be honest in the way the portray themselves.

That's a big reason why I fukk with Gibbs, he's as authentic as it gets, which gives him a wider range. Hopefully his Major Label album showcases this and is the one that puts him over the edge in terms of his success.

:salute: that man.

classicmaterial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Listened to the Director's Cut

The very beginning of the album has some extra shyt, just some shyt talking from Gibbs

Also at the end of Half Manne Half Cocaine there's a callback to Cocaine Piñata (the same sample that was also used for "Breaking Bad" off Baby Face Killa)

The outro of Fake Names is different and I think it's better

Flat Tummy Tea has the extended intro from the 12"

The ending of Situations is different and has a better lead-in to Giannis

The end of the album is different too. It doesn't have that beat that takes the album out and there's a quick vocal sample about listening to music

That's it

I like it more than the regular version but it's not like it's different enough where it matters

Last edited:

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Dope album! where that nikka DOOM at? He should have had a feature on this blassic!

In this interview: Madlib and Freddie Gibbs on making one of 2019’s best rap albums

Madlib said he can't find Doom.

What does the future hold for you guys? You’re working on a third album, right? Madlib, are there any other rappers you think would sound good over your beats?

Madlib: Send the Migos my way! Tell them, Madlib will make them sound funky! I’d like to work with Gibbs until he’s 60 – so long as he’s really with it and doesn’t pull a MF Doom, I can’t find that dude anywhere! I would also like to make an album with Pusha T (who appears on “Palmolive” along with Killer Mike) and this new rapper called Chris Crack from Chicago, he is insanely talented and we’re both like-minded.

I also got to record some songs with Mac Miller. We were going to make an album, but weren’t able to finish it because of his passing. That was my brother! I’m not sure if I can just put out the songs of someone deceased, as we would need permission from the estate. We will see on that, hopefully.

I’ve got thousands of hours of music people haven’t heard yet, so we’re going to launch a subscription service with Rappcats so people can hear it all. I got a bunch of jazz stuff coming too, featuring a lot of the new artists, which will be more like “Shades of Blue”.