Freakanomics talks how different types of people TIP...includes race, religion, etc.

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
Black people are making a financially rational decision when it comes to tips, just like business owners who divide as little of the profits as possible to their employees. Its just that simple.

As far as black people "not doing sht", a claim I would strongly refute given the strides of black America in the face of overwhelming odds btw, I love when people brush off institutional forces as these insignificant hurdles.

Its like "well, black people go to shtty schools on average, and they're discriminated against when it come to hiring, and they're discriminated against when it comes to obtaining lines of credit, and there are laws and procedures which specifically target us being criminalized and locked in the system, and we have been treated as social pariahs in our own country for centuries....but other than these minor things, why arent blacks more successful????" lol
Didn't downplay the institutional discrimination aspect nearly as much as you're saying I did but I can see you don't really want to have the conversation, so that's cool.

Daps
Ok so pretend I didn't call them cheap fukks if your feelings are so hurt over it. I'm not sure what you're even arguing anymore after I stated that prices should be raised in order to pay waistaff "a fair wage."

You pretty much trotted out all the same tropes I said people do when discussing this all the way down to the old "it's their job, they're just bringing me my food!" argument. When you go to a full service establishment you're paying for the food and for the service. Raise prices as I said and they'll get their fair pay and then your point is moot. Happy?

They should be paying them a fair wage. How they do it is not my concern, the market would shake that out so that we're not subsidizing their labor costs unfairly.

All you did was list a bunch of legitimate gripes with the system (along with nonsense) so of course people are bringing them up here, but you haven't refuted a single one. Yes I'm paying for the food and the service, and when I fly I'm paying them to transport me hundreds of miles in hours, provide service and safety, yet I don't tip flight attendants. And the only reason I don't it's cuz it's not customary.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
A C.E.O can be financially frugal with his business and I'm expected to subsidize it with my tips and benifit in no way or shape from it financially :rudy:

Especially us being black in Amrica where I got to fight against the powers that be not to be at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. Shiiiiiit Rsetaurants can find another sucker. While we add it bars too. :childplease:
nikka shut your dumb ass up...what powers do you have to fight to work in that lame ass cubicle? :wtb:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
They should be paying them a fair wage. How they do it is not my concern, the market would shake that out so that we're not subsidizing their labor costs unfairly.

All you did was list a bunch of legitimate gripes with the system (along with nonsense) so of course people are bringing them up here, but you haven't refuted a single one. Yes I'm paying for the food and the service, and when I fly I'm paying them to transport me hundreds of miles in hours, provide service and safety, yet I don't tip flight attendants. And the only reason I don't it's cuz it's not customary.
If restaurants paid workers a wage they could afford you would be getting KFC service @ really good restaurants.

Restaurants close faster than any other business, most of them are just barely making it. Can you imagine a restaurant paying 25 servers $15 an hour? they couldnt survive...plus, why would the server feel the need to actually take care of you?

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
nikka shut your dumb ass up...what powers do you have to fight to work in that lame ass cubicle? :wtb:

The OneS That Drugged My People from Their Homeland And Enslaved Them For More Than 400 Year. The Ones That Promote Practices Which DisemphransiZe My People In The Work Force. The Ones That Rather See My Peopñe In Jail Then In A Cubicle Working To Better Themselves.

Cubicles? :childplease: Dont Confuse Your Life With Mine

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
The OneS That Drugged My People from Their Homeland And Enslaved Them For More Than 400 Year. The Ones That Promote Practices Which DisemphransiZe My People In The Work Force. The Ones That Rather See My Peopñe In Jail Then In A Cubicle Working To Better Themselves.

Cubicles? :childplease: Dont Confuse Your Life With Mine
What exactly cant you do that you want to do in life?

Daps
If restaurants paid workers a wage they could afford you would be getting KFC service @ really good restaurants.

Restaurants close faster than any other business, most of them are just barely making it. Can you imagine a restaurant paying 25 servers $15 an hour? they couldnt survive...plus, why would the server feel the need to actually take care of you?

So if there's no tipping, you think high end restaurants would completely change their format to buy your food at a counter and find your own seat model :childplease:

Who said anything about $15? Let the market decide what their wage is, just don't allow them to go below minimum wage. They could survive, else they'd find a better job. And I don't need them to take care of me, I just need them to do what they're paid to do...take my order, bring my food. Just like if I walk into Best Buy, buy a tv, they go get it from the back.

You want to have a high end restaurant, pay your workers more to attract a higher crop of personnel. Every other industry acts that way, but we've been duped into letting this industry act under a different set of rules.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
So if there's no tipping, you think high end restaurants would completely change their format to buy your food at a counter and find your own seat model :childplease:

Who said anything about $15? Let the market decide what their wage is, just don't allow them to go below minimum wage. They could survive, else they'd find a better job. And I don't need them to take care of me, I just need them to do what they're paid to do...take my order, bring my food. Just like if I walk into Best Buy, buy a tv, they go get it from the back.

You want to have a high end restaurant, pay your workers more to attract a higher crop of personnel. Every other industry acts that way, but we've been duped into letting this industry act under a different set of rules.
thats my point...the market wouldnt allow them to pay what the servers in nicer restaurants make now....they would just leave.

There are a lot of career servers in really nice restaurants making pretty good money. They earn the money because they know about the food, steps of service, wine etc...
If the system (tip for service) was dropped they would leave because a restaurant couldnt afford that.
In comes the lower class workers serving your food...or restaurants just going under.

Ultimately you would be paying the hourly because they would just raise the prices to compensate for that loss.

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
There are a lot of career servers in really nice restaurants making pretty good money. They earn the money because they know about the food, steps of service, wine etc...
There's a disconnect between what people think waitstaff do and what they actually do, so there's also that to contend with too. Dude just compared it to getting his TV out of the back at Best Buy.

:heh:

Daps
thats my point...the market wouldnt allow them to pay what the servers in nicer restaurants make now...they would just leave.

If the system (tip for service) was dropped they would leave because a restaurant couldnt afford that.
In comes the lower class workers serving your food...or restaurants just going under.

Ultimately you would be paying the hourly because they would just raise the prices to compensate for that loss.

Of course not, cuz they're being over paid.

You really think it's high class people working at these restaurants? Nah, it's not. They get in where they fit in. You're building server's job to be harder than what it is, but even if you're right, then the high end restaurant would just raise prices to meet the demands of its clientele (who are willing to pay that premium for those services) in order to attract better personnel..thus, the market WOULD support it. That's how every other industry operates.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Of course not, cuz they're being over paid.

You really think it's high class people working at these restaurants? Nah, it's not. They get in where they fit in. You're building server's job to be harder than what it is, but even if you're right, then the high end restaurant would just raise prices to meet the demands of its clientele (who are willing to pay that premium for those services) in order to attract better personnel..thus, the market WOULD support it. That's how every other industry operates.
the issue is that you dont understand what goes on in a restaurant.