Forspoken Has a Black Protagonist But No Black Writers

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I made that thread. It really wasn't anything serious. I literally posted that that point was to point and laugh at the idiots in the comment section that seem incapable of understanding what black people want out of characters, despite it being spelled out for them.

But I don't think anyone is expect backlash as soon as they see a black lead in a video game, were all just past the point of being willing to pat a studio on the back solely for using a black lead.

What's aggravating is that this whole situation with Forspoken just reeks of laziness. The description of the main character that keeps getting block quoted could've been copied and pasted from character descriptions from Dangerous Minds or something. And even worse, it's something that could've easily been avoided by just asking a black person, or at the very least mitigated by having a black person be there to juelz it up. It's just crazy that this managed to happen in 2021.

That wasn't a shot at you, but, it just speaks to the drama I (personally) see whenever black characters are involved. I don't get satisfaction reading racist shyt. After, Trayvon, Mike, George, I'm ready to hurt somebody. So, I avoid the bullshyt.

What's aggravating is that this whole situation with Forspoken just reeks of laziness. The description of the main character that keeps getting block quoted could've been copied and pasted from character descriptions from Dangerous Minds or something. And even worse, it's something that could've easily been avoided by just asking a black person, or at the very least mitigated by having a black person be there to juelz it up. It's just crazy that this managed to happen in 2021.

That's a real humane way to look at it, but, hasn't recent news showed us the industry is anything but?

Like, we dealt with this with movies. What ever image the masses like will be pushed more (slaves, magical negro, gangster movies) especially when it isn't done by us.

I obvisiouly want black characters, but, this is always gonna be apart of the road as it's been in every medium. But, we are gonna have to let some (keyword) shyt go.

We'll have to deal with flagrant shyt and take it in stride with the borderline shyt. Plus, when we get what we want (decent portrayal of black characters) we can't then move the attention to racist, who mad at it.

Like on Cyberpunk, people were breaking down every little aspect of the Voodoo Boys (criminal gang) trying to find a reason to call it racist, despite a black man's ideas being the source of the characters and him being on board. But, if they'd been taking out of the game, it would've been the removal of a quite important faction to the main story.

My point, this is always gonna be a bumpy road UNLESS we have actual black big studios--which doesn't seem even possible at the moment.

I've been ranting this whole thread, really. So, forgive me.

Bell Hooks (IO don't have much beef with her, personally) is getting all this glowing praise, but, these same feminist types hate the idea Serena/Venus made a positive movie about a black man...their goddamn father.

We got to take the W's where we can.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Breh, I have been following the Black game development scene for years, there are enough Black writers that they either could have hired one, or at least consulted with one so they wouldn't make embarrassing mistakes
I understand and I commend you. You always letting me know what's happening with black gaming industry news.

But, I'm moreso speaking on black devs and studios.

A writer is still bound to the companies vision of the game. It'll definitely be a better job, don't get me wrong.

I agree with you. But, until then, we'll see a lot of these.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Low-key, Miles had the same issue. No afro-latino teenager from Brooklyn talks like that. :dead:
No wonder these game companies don’t bother having black lead characters. Nikkas will complain about every minor detail instead of just enjoying the damn game.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That wasn't a shot at you, but, it just speaks to the drama I (personally) see whenever black characters are involved. I don't get satisfaction reading racist shyt. After, Trayvon, Mike, George, I'm ready to hurt somebody. So, I avoid the bullshyt.

That's a real humane way to look at it, but, hasn't recent news showed us the industry is anything but?

Like, we dealt with this with movies. What ever image the masses like will be pushed more (slaves, magical negro, gangster movies) especially when it isn't done by us.

I obvisiouly want black characters, but, this is always gonna be apart of the road as it's been in every medium. But, we are gonna have to let some (keyword) shyt go.

We'll have to deal with flagrant shyt and take it in stride with the borderline shyt. Plus, when we get what we want (decent portrayal of black characters) we can't then move the attention to racist, who mad at it.

Like on Cyberpunk, people were breaking down every little aspect of the Voodoo Boys (criminal gang) trying to find a reason to call it racist, despite a black man's ideas being the source of the characters and him being on board. But, if they'd been taking out of the game, it would've been the removal of a quite important faction to the main story.

My point, this is always gonna be a bumpy road UNLESS we have actual black big studios--which doesn't seem even possible at the moment.

I've been ranting this whole thread, really. So, forgive me.

Bell Hooks (IO don't have much beef with her, personally) is getting all this glowing praise, but, these same feminist types hate the idea Serena/Venus made a positive movie about a black man...their goddamn father.

We got to take the W's where we can.

First off, I commend you for the bolded. Way to many folks willingly subject themselves to shyt they know they're not going to like. If I see myself getting a little too worked up about something, I reserve the right to eject for my own sanity.

But regarding the rest, openly clowning people involved with this game for being lazy is part of the bumps in the road, and how they get handled. Developers do shyt like this because they think they can get away with it, and that no one will actually bother to say anything about it. The entertainment industry has shown time and again that this is really the only way that they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Daps
Accepting any garbage thrown at you creates a low level of standard and quality. Then you guys wonder why black people have no self respect.

The c00n problem also complicates things. They gonna just hire a black person that greenlights nothing but ignorant nonsense. For example Coates throwing Tchalla under the bus for his entire run with the character because Tchalla was a black male that wasn't trash.

I also remember the black people that wrote the season 3/4 boondocks episodes legit hated black people and killed the show. Mcgruder's fault though, he attracted those type of c00ns with his style.

I think I got into it with a black indie developer here over it. Dude made a power instinct clone but made the protagonist a white man and the villain a black man. He was also making all the black characters big brutes.

I'm like what's the point of supporting a black developer that creates the same content that causes people to see us as nothing but monsters.

Funny thing about that game, if his protagonist was black his game would have gotten more attention, people getting sour on blonde white male protagonists in fighting games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm like what's the point of supporting a black developer that creates the same content that causes people to see us as nothing but monsters.

This part.

It’s kind of one of those things thats hard to figure out because there are so many black people that will just tow the line or c00n it up anyway. So many black women specifically write in media/books and whatever and all their characters have white love interest or its about the quirky black girl that isnt accepted

Then you got black gay men like lee Daniels misrepresenting or Lena waithe making its all LGBT vs Black people, especially men. Then you got your Kenya Barris’ that are only gonna feature mixed and “diverse” black families. Or people like Oprah…..

White people aren’t gonna write us properly but every black creative group these days have their own weird agenda also. Whats the point of supporting black devs if they are still putting others on a pedastal?

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
First off, I commend you for the bolded. Way to many folks willingly subject themselves to shyt they know they're not going to like. If I see myself getting a little too worked up about something, I reserve the right to eject for my own sanity.

But regarding the rest, openly clowning people involved with this game for being lazy is part of the bumps in the road, and how they get handled. Developers do shyt like this because they think they can get away with it, and that no one will actually bother to say anything about it. The entertainment industry has shown time and again that this is really the only way that they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Fasho.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
too many British black actors have done fine doing those roles tho. That's why it's called acting. If your good, you can do it just fine. When nikkaz found out Idris was British they were :mindblown:

I respectfully disagree, the nikkas they hyping now ain't it. Other than Damson and maybe Idris, the rest of them are very mid. :hubie:

Especially Daniel Kalluya, I've watched him in 3 projects(Skins, Get Out, and Black Panther), he's "just kinda there" in his roles. I never go "wow that's acting :krs:" when I watch his shyt. Don't get me started on Cynthia Erivo or Winston Duke.

Some of the best movies I've seen in the last ten years were "Get on Up(James Brown)"; "Respect(JHud Aretha movie)", and "Birth of a Nation"(Nat Turner movie). The reasons why those movies hit so much, in large part because the leads of those films not only had the lineage but had real life experiences to draw from. What I'm saying isn't crazy, one of the ppl behind casting for "Get on Up" is backing up my point.

Play from 0:40 mark to 1:20

What Square was trying to do would likely hit more, not only w/ ADOS writer or consultant, but am ADOS actress to portray what they're going for.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I respectfully disagree, the nikkas they hyping now ain't it. Other than Damson and maybe Idris, the rest of them are very mid. :hubie:

Especially Daniel Kalluya, I've watched him in 3 projects(Skins, Get Out, and Black Panther), he's "just kinda there" in his roles. I never go "wow that's acting :krs:" when I watch his shyt. Don't get me started on Cynthia Erivo or Winston Duke.

Some of the best movies I've seen in the last ten years were "Get on Up(James Brown)"; "Respect(JHud Aretha movie)", and "Birth of a Nation"(Nat Turner movie). The reasons why those movies hit so much, in large part because the leads of those films not only had the lineage but had real life experiences to draw from. What I'm saying isn't crazy, one of the ppl behind casting for "Get on Up" is backing up my point.

Play from 0:40 mark to 1:20

What Square was trying to do would likely hit more, not only w/ ADOS writer or consultant, but am ADOS actress to portray what they're going for.

this whole ADOS vs non ADOS shyt is really internet shyt. nobody thinks about that shyt in the real world. if you good, no one cares. if you average no one cares. if you trash.....then the convo is had.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
No wonder these game companies don’t bother having black lead characters. Nikkas will complain about every minor detail instead of just enjoying the damn game.

shyt like this can’t be okay with you, you complain because this stuff shouldn’t be happening

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
shyt like this can’t be okay with you, you complain because this stuff shouldn’t be happening

What you just quoted to me and what I said are two completely different things. Complaining about Miles Morales not sounding like he’s from Brooklyn is not the same as that racist shyt you’ve just posted.

Some of you need to develop critical thinking skills.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
What you just quoted to me and what I said are two completely different things. Complaining about Miles Morales not sounding like he’s from Brooklyn is not the same as that racist shyt you’ve just posted.

Some of you need to develop critical thinking skills.

it’s insensitive all around,, not sure you why you are so angst about it. Something small (to you) as Miles voice infliction to Dee Jay wearing watermelon pants in Street Fighter 4 should never happen.. It’s all disrespectful and they do it because they and no one is calling them out for that shyt,

Call me out on everything until it stops.