Forspoken Has a Black Protagonist But No Black Writers

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Oversized eyelashes are gonna power the wind spells :hhh:

Weave glue is gonna be tied to the Slow and Stop spells :scust:

Make sure you equip the new Jordan's to cast Haste :scusthov:

click your heels and turn into kamala harris :wow:
Charge up your blackness by voting for Biden.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
What was said is that white writers wrote this character and they did a bad job. Turning her into a caricature of who they think a “black” person is based on tired stereotypes.

The solution would be obviously to consult some black people or hire some black writers.
Clowns in here are being obtuse if they can’t understand this.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Another thing, if the writers wanted to do a story on a presumably ADOS woman from NY; who is mad at what white supremacy did to her and subsequently what WS historically did to her ppl in America, you can have a much more powerful story by casting an ADOS woman to play Frey.

The lady who plays Frey is British I believe(she's certainly not American), so the actress won't be able to effectively portray what the writers are going for, because the actress can't tap into her real life experiences her ppl had w/ WS in America since she ain't ADOS.
This made me think too. What kinda fukking name is Frey for a black girl from NYC :martin:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Sony hate black people. I am tired of black people dying and being used in Naughty Dog games

They hired one of the mo cap black actress to be a writer at Naughty Dog.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Every now and then it's good reasons.

But, first time a game reveals a black character it's like we are bracing ourselves for racist backlash.

There was a thread, just now, that trying to point out some racist comment section and nobody on thecoli checking for Kotaku forreal.

It's like we're looking for a reason to be upset by the portrayal or the reaction to the character.

I made that thread. It really wasn't anything serious. I literally posted that that point was to point and laugh at the idiots in the comment section that seem incapable of understanding what black people want out of characters, despite it being spelled out for them.

But I don't think anyone is expect backlash as soon as they see a black lead in a video game, were all just past the point of being willing to pat a studio on the back solely for using a black lead.

What's aggravating is that this whole situation with Forspoken just reeks of laziness. The description of the main character that keeps getting block quoted could've been copied and pasted from character descriptions from Dangerous Minds or something. And even worse, it's something that could've easily been avoided by just asking a black person, or at the very least mitigated by having a black person be there to juelz it up. It's just crazy that this managed to happen in 2021.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
fukk this game and the cracker devils who made it

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Another thing, if the writers wanted to do a story on a presumably ADOS woman from NY; who is mad at what white supremacy did to her and subsequently what WS historically did to her ppl in America, you can have a much more powerful story by casting an ADOS woman to play Frey.

The lady who plays Frey is British I believe(she's certainly not American), so the actress won't be able to effectively portray what the writers are going for, because the actress can't tap into her real life experiences her ppl had w/ WS in America since she ain't ADOS.

too many British black actors have done fine doing those roles tho. That's why it's called acting. If your good, you can do it just fine. When nikkaz found out Idris was British they were :mindblown:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
shyt yo dumb ass up. Nobody reading this shyt:mjlol:
You do realize you would have told mlk the same thing when he wrote his I have a dream speech. No rekka I will not shut up and dribble :scust:
Low-key, Miles had the same issue. No afro-latino teenager from Brooklyn talks like that. :dead:
I was shocked to see his dad in the spidey and his amazing friends cartoon :whoo:
Charge up your blackness by voting for Biden.
To stick with the mlk theme, 12 Republican senators recently voted against mlk being a national holiday. The tactic you cacs are using today is act like both sides are the same. Neither side is ideal but one side is morally corrupt and has never been different than that throughout the course of my lifetime. Donald trump empowered losers such as yourself to spread your nonsense like if we don’t have eyes/ears/brains. You thought you could manipulate the black intellectual as easy as you can manipulate the black youth. AOC who is the Republican equivalent, I’ll wait.

Daps
The industry doesn't have enough black power to go with the demand for black characters.

For example, some of the best black comedy is co-written by white boys.

Breh, I have been following the Black game development scene for years, there are enough Black writers that they either could have hired one, or at least consulted with one so they wouldn't make embarrassing mistakes