Forspoken Has a Black Protagonist But No Black Writers

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
You guys are expecting way too much from a Japanese company. They just randomly picked big names that were available to write it obviously. Lets see how it is before we cancel it.
Are yall really that scared? It's a video game, fukk this shyt :mjlol:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
click your heels and turn into kamala harris :wow:
Nah, that's the summon breh

giphy.webp

9999 damage on a critical hit :wow:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I feel like if you are going to make a characters race and back ground the basis of their personality, then you should get people who have similar backgrounds to write/advise on the character.

Barret could be a white character and nothing would be different, imo.

This chick on the other hand is literally an inner city youth, black, being written by the total opposite, it seems.

Chef

All Star
Daps

I don’t call people c00ns so this doesn’t apply to me personally. So what do we do after that? I appreciate people bringing things to light but without action we’re stuck in place. What do we do as individuals and as a community to help this issue?

I’m tired as much as everyone else with the lack of representation but I’m even more tired of no one having a legit answer to this problem. Where do I donate? Where can I go to volunteer to help this issue?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You guys are expecting way too much from a Japanese company. They just randomly picked big names that were available to write it obviously. Lets see how it is before we cancel it.
nah marketing expects too much if they're trying to make folks support this just because the lead is black - as if this is some seal breaking, propulsive event for black representation in gaming.

nobody cancelling anything, its just wild how there's gymnastics for direct questions that follow any other black project.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don’t call people c00ns so this doesn’t apply to me personally. So what do we do after that? I appreciate people bringing things to light but without action we’re stuck in place. What do we do as individuals and as a community to help this issue?

I’m tired as much as everyone else with the lack of representation but I’m even more tired of no one having a legit answer to this problem. Where do I donate? Where can I go to volunteer to help this issue?

the only way its gonna change is if more black lead game studios continue to be successful. We need tyler perry, Lee Daniels, spike lees, issa Raes, for game development.

or if black game directors from other studios spinoff their own studios. Like I doubt Dinga Bakaba's next game will feature black lead characters.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
nah marketing expects too much if they're trying to make folks support this just because the lead is black - as if this is some seal breaking, propulsive event for black representation in gaming.

nobody cancelling anything, its just wild how there's gymnastics for direct questions that follow any other black project.

I’m not disagreeing per say. It isn’t the right move, but this is Square Japan, not even the western team. I don’t think they know much better. As a fellow anime fan you know how it goes. I’m still in though. I’ll judge with my own merit and see.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

Home - Black Voices in Gaming first thing to come to mind

and other things like it have become growing annual showcases of underrepresented talent in the business. projects that are highlighted by black developers/creators won't just show up in your queue for a lot of reasons, but if you look its not to find more times than not. I haven't really followed BGDF in a while, but they were making some good progress working hand in hand with another platform not too long ago too

edit: Black Game Developer Fund i haven't followed up on this since earlier this year but these lanes do exist if you're wondering

its why its kind of weird to see a project of this scale - if all you want is someone to fit what you imagine as a black person, its easy to find a model that does just that. you gotta go out of your way to avoid black people in the business and that's why this thing is kinda off at minimum.
I’m not disagreeing per say. It isn’t the right move, but this is Square Japan, not even the western team. I don’t think they know much better. As a fellow anime fan you know how it goes. I’m still in though. I’ll judge with my own merit and see.
i know how it goes and its sometimes exactly what it is :mjlol: just because i watch anime doesn't mean i give all that shyt a pass. i watch sports, read old scifi, check out market/real estate trends, etc - there's room to call out the suspect shyt in each

and doing so shouldn't make someone uneasy either.

japan is not nearly as ignorant to race as people like to make them out to be. they ain't dumb, they're not marketing just for a japan only release either. they just consistently choose not to engage in the discussion while conveniently benefitting where possible. and for whatever reason people take that as a sign of understanding. european studios love doing the same thing too

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's how homie gets down though.
:lolbron:

Breh got some interesting criteria. :dame:

That excuse doesn't really work, though. This is the same company that has had an uncountable amount of thinkpieces written about Barret from FF7 over the better part of 25 years, and I'm guessing still didn't make too many changes to the new version of the character in Remake. Companies aren't forced to even appear to reevaluate how they handle shyt unless people decide they've had enough of corny shyt.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:patrice: its not about being 'fragile'

Every now and then it's good reasons.

But, first time a game reveals a black character it's like we are bracing ourselves for racist backlash.

There was a thread, just now, that trying to point out some racist comment section and nobody on thecoli checking for Kotaku forreal.

It's like we're looking for a reason to be upset by the portrayal or the reaction to the character.