Forced to focus on the things that really matter.

Grams

Grams Grands Gucci G'd Up
Daps
Reppin
Eastside
There's nothing you can do about it :manny:

I wish I could complain about getting too much p*ssy but I can't :manny:

These Indian mandem would probably take errr jobs anyway :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Meach and Bammer dissecting posts and providing razor sharp, eloquent rebuttals while leaving their would-be debaters with no other choice but to resort to dismissive statements. :lawd:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Unfortunately school is a business. Test scores and graduation are measures of that school's success and no one is going to invest in a business/school where statistically speaking the majority of the population is going to receive bad test scores and not graduate. Resources are not the problem, the attitude of a lot of students is what causes the issues and that's never going to be easy to fix and it certainly won't be fixed with money.
I see that your promoting that the general attitude of the kids should improve and I agree with you there but to say that resources is not the problem as well is silly when your basically throwing away any benefits having more resources will provide.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And just what makes you so assured of this? What kind of sense does it make that as a society, providing less to a certain group of children will somehow produce better results? Why are you so invested in reproducing a racist argument that giving black kids the same resources as white kids, wont improve results? Isnt that idea illogical?

Success is a product of stimulation, not deprivation. If we as a society constantly strive to lay the foundation of success for all children, then we create a better environment, and we'll see better results in a general sense. How can you justify giving children less? How are the actions of the parents the child's fault, as if you're punishing the children for not being born privileged.

Giving two people with different attitudes toward something the same thing will not yield the same results.

You give a person who is financially responsible $3000 and they will probably make a better choice with the money than a financially irresponsible person. shyt, you see that happen everyday. So it only makes sense a child enthused about learning, regardless of the environment will learn with what's available to them. A child who doesn't give a fukk, still won't give a fukk. In a richer/better school, you're going to have more children that give a fukk about learning than those that don't. In a poorer school it will be the opposite. How do you get them to give a fukk? You certainly can't think new textbooks will do it because they weren't interested in the old ones.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Meech repeatedly asserted that a school should be able to lift a kid up regardless of where he/she comes from, and if it doesn't do so it has failed... removing all responsibility of the kid's outcome from the parents. I don't agree with that.

That is the concept of public school. Why don't you understand that?

When public school was created the sole purpose of it was to take kids well beyond what their parents could at home. Everybody was poor and stupid, they sent their kids to school so they wouldn't be the same. The parents backrounds didn't matter because the goal of the school was to elevate the kids. This is why public school was created and is still why school is publicly funded today.

Is the school solely responsible for a students outcome? No. But the goal of the school should be to teach and elevate ALL students. If the school is not doing that then the school is not effective.

So someone can't acknowledge the significant role of parenting & the home environment in a kid's outcome while also believing/demanding that all kids have access to the same quality of resources? That doesn't strengthen "their" argument at all. If you have to hide/lie/obfuscate to make your POV seem strong it must not be very strong on its own. Bottom line though, for the last time, parenting is very important in a kid's outcome- I would say more important than what school the kid goes to- but I also think every kid should have access to the same quality education, REGARDLESS OF WHO THEIR PARENTS ARE.
What you don't understand is that they are two seperate issues. Public policy is and never has been dictated by personal responsibility. When people bring personal responsibilty into a conversation about public policy it is always to distract from the matter at hand and to place blame instead of looking for solutions. It's a classic diversion tactic.

I say "man we gotta fix these roads people's cars are getting fukked up" you say "people should just dodge the potholes"

:aicmon: what the hell does that have to do with the fact that the roads should be fixed?

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Don't think this debate is being framed quite right on either side. I havent seen anyone mention the fact that schools are largely funded by local property taxes. Meaning that the schools with better resources are located in communities that already have more stable and wealthier families. So before they even step foot in a classroom at age 5 they are at an advantage and will have an advantage for the rest of their lives.The "resources" are a by-product of the community, not the other way around.

So it becomes an issue of the "rich getting richer"....but its their money. They should spend it on their children.

Now the question becomes how do we close the gap between advantaged and disadvantages students? Pouring money into public education isn't perfect but its the best idea we have. Thats why the focus is always on "new textbooks and computers"...cuz what else can we do? If we knew how to fix fukked up adults then we would live in a utopia.

Thats why black folks need to stop believing that the government or elected officials can fix everything. All the government can do is move money around. But no amount of money can pay for knowledge of self...

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
That is the concept of public school. Why don't you understand that?

When public school was created the sole purpose of it was to take kids well beyond what their parents could at home. Everybody was poor and stupid, they sent their kids to school so they wouldn't be the same. The parents backrounds didn't matter because the goal of the school was to elevate the kids. This is why public school was created and is still why school is publicly funded today.

Is the school solely responsible for a students outcome? No. But the goal of the school should be to teach and elevate ALL students. If the school is not doing that then the school is not effective.
Public school was created to give everyone access to education. Please provide a link or something showing that public schools took on a philosophical, moral or legal obligation/guarantee to uplift kids past where their parents are?

This makes no sense as there are plenty of rich kids who go to public schools, and went to public schools when public schools first started.

What you don't understand is that they are two seperate issues. Public policy is and never has been dictated by personal responsibility. When people bring personal responsibilty into a conversation about public policy it is always to distract from the matter at hand and to place blame instead of looking for solutions. It's a classic diversion tactic.

I say "man we gotta fix these roads people's cars are getting fukked up" you say "people should just dodge the potholes"

:aicmon: what the hell does that have to do with the fact that the roads should be fixed?

For the tenth time, I never said the quality of a kid's education should be determined by how rich or involved their parents are. Just that parent involvement has an effect on a kid's overall outcome, and their academic performance. So I have said they are two separate issues, but they both have an affect on how well a kid turns out. And more importantly, again, that all kids should have access to the same quality of public education regardless of where they are from or who their parents are. For fukks sake we agree on the most important points, stop arguing just to argue

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Giving two people with different attitudes toward something the same thing will not yield the same results.

You give a person who is financially responsible $3000 and they will probably make a better choice with the money than a financially irresponsible person.
If you give the irresponsible person less money, their "irresponsibilities" wil be multiplied. If you give them more money they have a better chance of learning responsibilty.

shyt, you see that happen everyday. So it only makes sense a child enthused about learning, regardless of the environment will learn with what's available to them. A child who doesn't give a fukk, still won't give a fukk.
Children are easily manipulated. If you give them a reason to care(like stop calling them dumb asses who deserve less) then they will care.

And where is your data about which kids care and don't care? Compared to the circumstances young black kids are OVERACHIEVERS. According to you poor parents don't give a fukk and when parents don't give a fukk their kids amount to nothing, so why are more than 80% of black students graduating from high school? I thought they didn't care.

In a richer/better school, you're going to have more children that give a fukk about learning than those that don't. In a poorer school it will be the opposite. How do you get them to give a fukk? You certainly can't think new textbooks will do it because they weren't interested in the old ones.

So why are the top kids from a "bad" school still way behind the top students from a "good" school?

And actualy giving a kid a new book, or a new anything for that matter will spark an intrest in their little impressionable minds. Especially if they are coming from a place in which they are used to getting nothing.

You put computers in a wealthy school and the kids don't care. They got computers at home and iPhones in their pockets. You put computers in a poor school and the students will embrace them and use them to their fullest extent because they don't have that type of thing at home.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Public school was created to give everyone access to education. Please provide a link or something showing that public schools took on a philosophical, moral or legal obligation/guarantee to uplift kids past where their parents are?

This makes no sense as there are plenty of rich kids who go to public schools, and went to public schools when public schools first started.
Public school in America has always been refered to as "The Great Equalizer"

The concept has always been to elevate those who need it most.

For the tenth time, I never said the quality of a kid's education should be determined by how rich or involved their parents are. Just that parent involvement has an effect on a kid's overall outcome, and their academic performance. So I have said they are two separate issues, but they both have an affect on how well a kid turns out. And more importantly, again, that all kids should have access to the same quality of public education regardless of where they are from or who their parents are. For fukks sake we agree on the most important points, stop arguing just to argue
:comeon:Talking you yourself again

You jumped in my quote about resources being important to tell me about shytty parents. If they are seperate issues why do you feel the need to combat one with the other? You could have just said both are important and left it at that.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
We all still gonna DIE anyway, close this thread.

:heh:

Yeah you should probably play in traffic then. The result is the same like you said.

Go on. Cut the wrists. Let that life ooze out of you drop by drop.

Why even do anything.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
IYou put computers in a poor school and the students will embrace them and use them to their fullest extent because they don't have that type of thing at home.

:usure: Meanwhile WorldStarHipHop is the most popular website in the poor urban america.

What is a computer? It gives you access to the internet...thats it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Money/technology/material things are not magic and they can't alone change people's values. Only people..human beings...invested in the kids success will change their outcomes.

This focus on constantly increasing funding can even be very harmful if folks start assuming that "new stuff" is a suitable replacement for concerned adults...

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:usure: Meanwhile WorldStarHipHop is the most popular website in the poor urban america.
Those aren't poor people on world star bruh. Poor people don't have iPhones and computers to upload videos.

Those kids are misguided middle income kids. They are the ones who ultimately end up ok.

What is a computer? It gives you access to the internet...thats it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
It is unlimited access to information. They don't force kids to learn, but it is much better to have them than to not have them.

Using your "lead a horse to water....." analogy. The "water" doesn't even exist to a lot of poor kids.

Money/technology/material things are not magic and they can't alone change people's values. Only people..human beings...invested in the kids success will change their outcomes.

This focus on increasing funding can even be very harmful if folks start assuming that "new stuff" is a suitable replacement for concerned adults...
More resources include "concerned adults" quality teachers and lesson plans cost money.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Those aren't poor people on world star bruh. Poor people don't have iPhones and computers to upload videos.

Those kids are misguided middle income kids. They are the ones who ultimately end up ok.

You might have a very narrow definition of "poor". One that I'm not sure is that relevant to America in 2013.

People living in low income communities are more connected than ever, homey. A lot of times more connected than their white and more affluent counterpoints...to absolutely no benefit.

Is Twitter Disproportionately Popular Among Black Users? - ABC News

In its annual Twitter usage report, Edison Research last week said it appears that African-Americans make up about 24 percent of Twitter users, which is nearly double their representation in the U.S. population.

I'm using black and poor interchangeably which I don't like to do, but when we talk about education thats usually the case anyways. So take it for what its worth...

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You might have a very narrow definition of "poor". One that I'm not sure is that relevant to America in 2013.

People living in low income communities are more connected than ever, homey. A lot of times more connected than their white and more affluent counterpoints...to absolutely no benefit.

Is Twitter Disproportionately Popular Among Black Users? - ABC News

I'm using black and poor interchangeably which I don't like to do, but when we talk about education thats usually the case anyways. So take it for what its worth...

Twitter and world star have absolutely nothing to do with the plight of poor people in America

And no black isn't interchangeable with poor :snoop:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Twitter and world star have absolutely nothing to do with the plight of poor people in America

Never said it did. I'm just pointing out that "we need more computers" isn't a solution to the plight of poor people in America.

And no black isn't interchangeable with poor :snoop:

Like I said I don't like doing that, but we're comparing high and middle income communities with low income. In America that has always been tied to race...I'm certain you would agree.

The point being that Black people over representing on social media indicates that access to technology is probably not the biggest factor when addressing the achievement gap.