Forced to focus on the things that really matter.

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
Pics like that are why I laugh at people who claim poorer children in the US CAN'T learn in their schools because they don't have computers or new text books. LMMFAO!!

Meanwhile you have schooling like in the pic or one room school houses that teach multiple grades in other countries. We have it so good here.

:childplease:

Although I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread, I think this is ridiculous.

Poorer children in the US may have it good compared to kids in third-world countries but that's not who their test scores are compared to. Their test scores are (and should be) compared to other students in the US who go to schools with resources, including computers and new textbooks.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:childplease:

Although I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread, I think this is ridiculous.

Poorer children in the US may have it good compared to kids in third-world countries but that's not who their test scores are compared to. Their test scores are (and should be) compared to other students in the US who go to schools with resources, including computers and new textbooks.

Its not argued that certain children "cant learn", and I'll assume you're talking about black children here --- its instead challenging the social and economic inequities that control outcomes and probabilities of success.

Unlike improverished countries, America and the western world is organized around orthodox capitalism, i.e competition. It is irrational to expect black children, who on average grow up with 5% of the wealth of their white counterparts and attend schools that are far inferior in every way, to achieve the same level of success, on average, as others when the game is rigged.

This is compounded by the fact that even when a black child does the right things, he still wont be afforded the same level of opportunities. Empirical studies have shown that white men with felonies have a better chance at securing employment, than a black man with a clean record.

This isnt even touching on the 400 years of social conditioning, unique to this country, where the dominant class has re-enforced incessantly that certain lower classes are inherently evil, stupid, worthless, and lazy therefore controlling expectations and that group's collective psychology.

It's foolish to believe that new textbooks and computers are the reasons poor U.S.children struggle with learning. That is my point and I'm sorry that you don't agree.

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It's foolish to believe that new textbooks and computers are the reasons poor U.S.children struggle with learning. That is my point and I'm sorry that you don't agree.

A lot of the F1-Visa engineers from these developing nations come from backgrounds of old textbooks and NO computers. The difference is that they have sound study habits and the whole family/neighborhood is behind pushing them to perform well academically.

My mother has been a teacher (in mostly poor schools) for a long time. She was able to turn around her class test scores without updated textbooks and computers (and sometimes, without even a copy machine to copy worksheets on, basic pencils, papers, etc). She says in her experience, besides a dedicated teacher, the number one factor in determining if a child can adequately learn and perform well is how stable, consistent and supportive their home life is. Period.

Rem

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its not argued that certain children "cant learn", and I'll assume you're talking about black children here --- its instead challenging the social and economic inequities that control outcomes and probabilities of success.

Unlike improverished countries, America and the western world is organized around orthodox capitalism, i.e competition. It is irrational to expect black children, who on average grow up with 5% of the wealth of their white counterparts and attend schools that are far inferior in every way, to achieve the same level of success, on average, as others when the game is rigged.

This is compounded by the fact that even when a black child does the right things, he still wont be afforded the same level of opportunities. Empirical studies have shown that white men with felonies have a better chance at securing employment, than a black man with a clean record.

This isnt even touching on the 400 years of social conditioning, unique to this country, where the dominant class has re-enforced incessantly that certain lower classes are inherently evil, stupid, worthless, and lazy therefore controlling expectations and that group's collective psychology.

While I'm not trying to downplay poverty in the low class of America, the extent of poverty in say...Mumbai or Lagos slums is incomprehensible to the western mind, yes even to the lower class of America.

I mean You'll hear Beans talking about eating fried vegetables as if that's meant to be a bad thing, or BIG (RIP) rapping about eating sardines for dinner, like that's supposed to be a travesty, I like these rappers, but...really? :heh: That is a luxury that is only attained by the higher class in a third world country.

I chose those two lyric snippets because, in a rap song that was meant to illustrate poverty in America, it perfectly illustrates the gap between poverty as its known in the west and poverty as its known in third world countries

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of the F1-Visa engineers from these developing nations come from backgrounds of old textbooks and NO computers. The difference is that they have sound study habits and the whole family/neighborhood is behind pushing them to perform well academically.

My mother has been a teacher (in mostly poor schools) for a long time. She was able to turn around her class test scores without updated textbooks and computers (and sometimes, without even a copy machine to copy worksheets on, basic pencils, papers, etc). She says in her experience, besides a dedicated teacher, the number one factor in determining if a child can adequately learn and perform well is how stable, consistent and supportive their home life is. Period.

Thank you.

I certainly realize that there are SEVERAL factors that affect a child's willigness/ability to learn but new computers and books isn't one of them. People would just rather just disagree (although they can't deny it's true) and speak about some totally off topic shyt.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

So if you removed textbooks, computers, and quality teachers from "successful" schools, and doubled their class sizes, do you think they will perform just as well?

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So if you removed textbooks, computers, and quality teachers from "successful" schools, and doubled their class sizes, do you think they will perform just as well?

Yes. Because they likely have parents that stress the importance of education like Houston Heat mentioned. There are poor children that do well in school.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yes. Because they likely have parents that stress the importance of education like Houston Heat mentioned. There are poor children that do well in school.

:beli: you'll say anything to prove your point. It's been proven plenty of times that class sizes, educational resources, and quality teachers make a big impact on student achievement. And those things make an even bigger impact when talking about poor children.

So why does school exist?

If the parents dictate the educational acheivment of their kids then why do people pay to send their kids to good schools?

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:beli:

So why does school exist?

If the parents dictate the educational acheivment of their kids then why do people pay to send their kids to good schools?

You're turning this into a different matter (as usual). But It is foolish to believe that the reason a poor child has a problem learning is because they don't have new textbooks or new computers. That's STILL my point and YOU don't have to agree with it either. I really don't give a fukk else about what you're talking because it doesn't matter.

Algebra(breh) is Algebra. You can learn that shyt from an old ass book or a new one IF you want to learn it. Reading is reading, again you don't need anything new or a computer to learn it. Again, there are certainly other factors that hinder learning but new computers and textbooks isn't a reason.

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston

Parents don't dictate educational achievement of their kids by themselves, mass parental support allows teachers, technology, and tools to do a better job for the student.

Parents send their kids to "better" schools because "bad" schools have teachers that are usually overwhelmed by the bad ass kids (from unstable households) whose basic reading/math levels are so low that the teacher can never really challenge the better educated kids (because she has to dumb it down for everyone)

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Makes you think, I sponsor a kid not a lot but at least I bettered one life on small change I would have wasted on crap.

It sucks how we complain over such little things, when we have so much.

So many people live on like a dollar deal yet we complain about making over 20 a a hour that's it to little.

sent from royalty via tapatalk

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I get what T/S is saying, but judging your circumstances in comparison to those of someone else in a different society (If we're comparing developed countries to developing ones) is pointless. It does show compassion, but it also shows naivete. There is always going to be poverty, it just so happens that they were born in one section of the world and you were born in another, unless you're actually doing something to help the poor you are thinking about then you are just wasting time. We are going to be judged by the standards of the society we live in, so either become a humanatarian or keep it moving, your pity/compassion isn't affecting anyone but yourself :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You're turning this into a different matter (as usual). But It is foolish to believe that the reason a poor child has a problem learning is because they don't have new textbooks or new computers. That's STILL my point and YOU don't have to agree with it either. I really don't give a fukk else about what you're talking because it doesn't matter.

Algebra(breh) is Algebra. You can learn that shyt from an old ass book or a new one IF you want to learn it. Reading is reading, again you don't need anything new or a computer to learn it. Again, there are certainly other factors that hinder learning but new computers and textbooks isn't a reason.

You are oversimplying the issue to be about books and computers. It's about overall educational resources, books and computers are just physical representations of that, But in no way are they the end all be all when talking about advantages kids get from going to quality sufficiently funded schools.

Like I told you before algebra and reading is not what makes a kid succesful. Damn there everyone knows that stuff, that's not what schools teach. If all kids needed to learn were basic math and reading poor kids would be doing great. Hell, my 7 year old daughter can read, write, and do math. Is she ready for the world?

It's a false dichotomy that y'all create when you say "parenting is most important....."

When comparing acheivment you always compare poor black kids to their well off white counterparts with educated parents, and say overall they are underachieving.

Then when it comes time for a solution you compare them to their own peers and say "the ones that do well have better parenting" which is common sense. But what you leave out is that the kids with the best parents from the "poor" schools never do as well as the kids with the best parents from a good school. Just like the kids with the worst parents still do worse than those kids at a quality school.

All schools have a range of acheivment which is mostly determined by the parents. That doesn't change the fact that schools that are funded and run well always outperform underfunded shytty schools.

You take poor kids who come from nothing, you give them nothing, and you act surprised when they achieve less.

:pacspit: at you for continuing to push this agenda the white folks gave you that our kids don't deserve quality schools

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
. The difference is that they have sound study habits and the whole family/neighborhood is behind pushing them to perform well academically.

Bingo. As someone who works around alot of Indians they are extremly family oriented. they make sure to help each other out.