for the betters out here, the post your picks thread

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
champions league is basically taking the top 2/3 teams of every country and putting them in a european tournament. so in a random, even the champions of romania dont compare to 3rd place in england. or the champions of turkey (gala) beat the champions of italy (juve) in a minor upset.

i love betting soccer because there is so much to choose from, can focus on about 100 games on saturday, 50 on sunday, 10 on weekdays plus select nhl/nba plays. never struggle for choice, never struggle for action. i suppose its the same with college football and basketball, except there's more information out there and they are actually pros and not 19 yr old kids :heh:

So then what's the different "stages" and rounds mean?And how do you advance?

Its like a qualifying round where you have to win x amount of games or get y amount of points?

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
So then what's the different "stages" and rounds mean?
champions league--

group stage means teams are divided into groups, in this case 8 groups of 4. top 2 of each group qualify to the knockout stage.

so thats 16. 8 1st place teams. 8 2nd place teams. random draw with all 1st place teams plying a 2nd place team

then 8. random draw.

then 4. random draw.

then the final

and in domestic leagues its really easy. every team plays each other twice, 1 home 1 away. 3 pts for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss. most points win. depending on country, top 1/2/3/4 qualify for the champions league.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
group stage means teams are divided into groups, in this case 8 groups of 4. top 2 of each group qualify to the knockout stage.

so thats 16. 8 1st place teams. 8 2nd place teams. random draw with all 1st place teams plying a 2nd place team

then 8. random draw.

then 4. random draw.

then the final

Alright so how do they advance. To my knowledge its not about winning games right? but how many goals you score/concede overall? For example one of the english teams recently didn't have to win their last game to advance to the group stages, if they had a draw they'd still advance

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Alright so how do they advance. To my knowledge its not about winning games right? but how many goals you score/concede overall? For example one of the english teams recently didn't have to win their last game to advance to the group stages, if they had a draw they'd still advance
its all about points and finishing in the top 2.

3 pts for a win 1 pt for a draw.

example:

arsenal 12, dortmund 9, napoli 9, marseille 0

this is oneof the groups. last group game (everyone plays everyone home and away, 6 games total)

arsenal play napoli. they are 1st and all they need to do is tie to guarantee themselves entry and first place. if they lose, then the other game comes in and goal difference and head to head is used only for tiebreak purposes.

thats why in tournament betting things are tricky. a team could be favored by -200 simply cause they're better, but they don't really need to win to get in. like milan today are -140 at home to win, no doubt many people will take that. but all they need are a tie, and i see a lot of angry bettors if that happens.

yo moms

drunk
Daps
The only 2 games that I bet on are 0-0 at halftime :stopitslime:

I can just imagine ac Milan stinking the joint out for a draw :pacspit:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
:ehh:
Should have went with the over in that Barcelona game, they were ruthless today.
the thing is tho, you saw barcelona and chelsea in similar circumstances. one of them turn on the style and the other just kinda wasted time and barely exerted any effort. never know which is gonna be which