For single player, do you prefer open world or linear games?

Which type of game do you prefer

• I really like open world, need that freedom and exploration

• I really prefer linear, concise to the point, love the extra detail

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Definitely prefer more open world. Probably my biggest gripe with GOWR was the game being unnecessarily becoming a puzzle simulator to fate progression when there were obviously clear ways to get there.

I guess the trade off is better combat than we see in open world games. :patrice:

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
I've played enough open world games to know that most of them don't have a world that's worth exploring. Nothing but repetitive fetch quest, gamer OCD bullshyt, collect 100 of this random item, go kill 50 of these monsters, go climb a mountain to get this rare weapon only to find something better 20 minutes later.

I prefer focused, well designed linear experiences or semi-open games like GOW or Last of Us II.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Dense, wide linear games. I often get side tracked in truly open world games with a lot to do cuz I like to explore and search every nook and cranny
This...
It's the reason I haven't finished Horizon Forbidden West yet.
I easily get side tracked and focus on trying to be a completionist which leads to fatigue and me ending up wanting to play something much more narrow and quicker to feel more rewarding in a more meaningful way.
I love a good open world game, I just don't have the focus to play it and nothing else the way I would play a game like The Last Of Us every single night for multiple hours. Right now GT7 is getting a ton of burn because on a night where I only feel like playing for 20 - 30 minutes I can get a bunch of races in and feel like I made some progress. Open world games...I'll spend 30 minutes just LOOKING for the door beneath the rock, behind the wall, across the river, that you needed the special grenade to break so you have to back track and do that mission to come all the way back again.

Last edited:

Jasonmask

Superstar
Daps
Linear. I like open world but I rarely replay them like I do linear games.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends. Games like mafia 3 and watchdogs 2 would have been better games if they were more linear. Most Ubisoft games are interesting and fun as open worlds but opening up the map and seeing all that clutter is :francis:

I disagree with Watchdog 2 on that one. Watchdog 2 was perfect as it was. I can understand Mafia 3 thou cause no fast travel.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I prefer linear. I’ve never been a person to enjoy just exploring the world for hours and hours…I like a sense of a finish line in my games. Not having to spend a lot of time going from point a to point b to start a mission (even though fast travel exists) and I’m not a huge side mission person. Usually I’m trying to get through the story so any side missions are getting ignored.

I will say though that Hogwarts is the first open world game I’ve really enjoyed in a while and the side missions actually have me interested so far.