For single player, do you prefer open world or linear games?

Which type of game do you prefer

• I really like open world, need that freedom and exploration

• I really prefer linear, concise to the point, love the extra detail

Results are only viewable after voting.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I grew up an open world FIEND. I started late 90s but GTA3 changed my young life. It was at one point my favorite style of game, sold itself.

Nowadays I just can’t get into the majority. Of the ones I get into, I only finish the absolute greatest ones. And even the ones I finish I rarely go back to. The ones that have tried to buck trends recently are still my standouts (BOTW, Elden Ring, RDR2), but other than that I’ll take wide linear like TLOU/2 every time. I also don’t have the consistent time or desire like I used to, so it’s that much more difficult to immerse in these big ass games and get through dozens of hrs. Especially when the content repeats.

Idk tho sometimes I just feel like I’m not really into games like I used to be. Combination of getting older and the industry getting exposed as shyt.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I can say with zero reservation that for me, there have been far more open world, single player games that would have been better served as linear than there have been linear games that would have benefitted from being open world. A lot of developers don't know how to construct open worlds that are engaging to the player and settle with filling it with icons and bloat, resulting in many losing interest 30% through the story, which is often the best part of their game. That said, I much prefer a strong, open world title to a strong linear game, but it's much easier to burn out on the open world formula given how oversaturated the market is with them.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dense, wide linear games. I often get side tracked in truly open world games with a lot to do cuz I like to explore and search every nook and cranny
And most of it isn’t even worth the exploration in your average game :francis:

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Wait what would games like Spider-Man, The Last of Us, and God of War be?

Spider-Man has a pretty open world...or does a game have to be Skyrim to be considered open world?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Wait what would games like Spider-Man, The Last of Us, and God of War be?

Spider-Man has a pretty open world...or does a game have to be Skyrim to be considered open world?

Spider-man is more open world even though those type of games are usually called “sandbox” games that take place in just a big city like GTA.

Last of Us is more linear or wide-linear. TLOU is straight linear, Part 2 is wide-linear. God of war is a mix, where you have a central hub but can travel back and forth.

TheGreatMTB

All Star
Daps
Spider-man is more open world even though those type of games are usually called “sandbox” games that take place in just a big city like GTA.

Last of Us is more linear or wide-linear. TLOU is straight linear, Part 2 is wide-linear. God of war is a mix, where you have a central hub but can travel back and forth.
lol I don't know which one I prefer then. I just like good story-telling