For single player, do you prefer open world or linear games?

Which type of game do you prefer

• I really like open world, need that freedom and exploration

• I really prefer linear, concise to the point, love the extra detail

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The “fetch quest” criticism is dumb. Most open world games you don’t have to do any of that stuff and the structure of the game is still better than being led down one path. If the gameplay is fun the fetch quests are just an excuse to engage in the gameplay systems more.

Like i’m playing harry potter right now. I think the merlin quests, and most of the sidequests and little puzzles around the world are meh, so i chose not to engage with most of them. But the game being set in a fully realized and traversable/explorable world makes the game infinitely better than it would be if they were just leading you from level to level with cutscenes in between:smh:

Last edited:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
everyone in here talking about "I like both," "it depends," "a mix of both"

what's the point of asking the question if everyone's gonna be wishy-washy?
I mean as long as they’re expanding on it, it’s still a convo

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I saw some shyt a while back that said a majority of open worlds are just fancy level selects with filler between at best, I was like :damn:

I plugged this channel before but he has made quite a few points that I agree with

At the very least, I feel the structure is worth a revisit, especially for quests, and in some cases like R*, the structure absolutely needs to be revisited. Not to increase sales (which is why I doubt it happens), but to keep shyt from getting stale. There’s not much difference structurally between GTA3 missions and RDR2 missions. Go to X, have conversation with Y on the way, pick up Z (and kill ppl) go back to where you started.

I think the biggest request from me is the quest/mission based games need to be 100x less rigid overall. Let the player figure outside the box solutions out, rather than pigeonholing us to your solution as a dev.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm sure we can all rationalize why we're somewhere in the middle. the point is to pick one or the other
I thought the point was the convo between tbh

I couldn’t care less what y’all specifically prefer because I can’t play through y’all’s hands and eyes, and I’m not a dev so it makes me no money, but the viewpoint behind why is interesting to me :ehh:

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
I prefer linear games I lose interest in open-world/sandbox games really quick. Like I love Metal Gear Solid but I could not last more than a few hours of Metal Gear Solid V

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
everyone in here talking about "I like both," "it depends," "a mix of both"

what's the point of asking the question if everyone's gonna be wishy-washy?
Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, without offence I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Linear.

I’m never going to finish Ass Creed Odyssey. Way too much shyt to do.

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
Open world games with mods is:whoo::blessed:

It practically allows you to make your own game with the features you want.

What mods did to Fallout 4 and Skyrim, with the added locations, quests, general added content, alternative starts and endings etc is out of this world.

The fact that you can download mods that enable you to have huge empire wars in skyrim, and mods that actually make the minuteman a full fleshed out faction with patrols, outposts that dynamically spawns as you get more towns under your control etc is crazy and takes the games to new heights.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I'm gonna say I FAR prefer linear games with some open world qualities. I had to be real with myself and say I don't fukk with open world games that much. They don't hold my interest anymore.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
Depends. Games like mafia 3 and watchdogs 2 would have been better games if they were more linear. Most Ubisoft games are interesting and fun as open worlds but opening up the map and seeing all that clutter is :francis: