Football brehs, who had the best all time defense. 2000 Ravens, 85 Bears, or the 76 Steelers?

Which NFL team had the greatest defense of all time?

• 2000 Ravens

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • 1976 Steelers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1985 Bears

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Other not named

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
I don't think the bears should be mentioned as a GOAT defense just because they were very much a product of their era.

Back then, nikkas were running two-back sets routinely, and pass-heavy offenses were VERY rare.

It was to the point where the 46 defense was rendered obsolete like 3 years after it won Chicago a super bowl:dead:.

Last edited:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Marino feasted on the 85 bears. I'd take Baltimore over them because good luck throwing on that Baltimore defense

Can't speak on the 76 steelers for obvious reasons

That was an issue of buddy not making a change

What does under center mean

Like most of their defense was focused on the interior?

Taking the snap under center

I don't think the bears should be mentioned as a GOAT defense just because they were very much a product of their era.

Back then nikkas were running two-back sets routinely, and pass-heavy offenses were VERY rare.

It was to the point where the 46 defense was rendered obsolete like 3 years after it won Chicago a super bowl:dead:.

The Bears are one of the defenses that spurred change, the 4-6 caused league wide changes

Mean Joe green either lining head up on the center or at an angle changed the game

dikk lebeau zone blitze changed the game

So again i say the bears evolved offenses that’s an all time type thing, yeah we had a couple guys get a gold jacket, but honestly compared to other teams listed (not including the Seahawks) we don’t stack up talent wise, we just played good

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Most underrated is still this year's Chiefs. Look at the offensive juggernauts they played on the way to winning the Super Bowl. Strong at all levels. Great scheme. Versatile as hell. And lots of depth.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Football outsiders says the 91 eagles because they had the second best run defense ever(behind 2000 ravens) and 2nd best pass defense ever(behind the 02 Bucs) which makes them the best overall defense
That was the best defense I've ever seen.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I couldn't say.

I think the people who bring up the Legion of Boom Seahawks have a great case.

The 2000 Ravens though...they had 4 playoff games and allowed:

3 pts to the Broncos
10 pts to the Titans on the road
3 pts to the Raiders on the road
7 pts to the Giants in the Super Bowl

They allowed 20 pts to team just three times all season. That kind of dominance is just hard to explain.
the 85 Bears only gave up 20 or more points 3 times too and gave up 10 total points in the playoffs with 2 shutouts

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Marino feasted on the 85 bears. I'd take Baltimore over them because good luck throwing on that Baltimore defense

Can't speak on the 76 steelers for obvious reasons

:childplease: that dolphins game was a regular season Monday night where the Bears defense just didn’t show up :francis:

besides that that 85 Bears is by far the greatest defense team of all time
they shut out 2 of their opponents in the playoffs and the Super Bowl gave up a meaningless touchdown in a fourth quarter
= meaning or literally they gave up a whopping 3 points … against 3 of the best teams from that postseason

and i’m not even a fan of them …. but it’s

chicago-cubs.gif

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Football outsiders says the 91 eagles because they had the second best run defense ever(behind 2000 ravens) and 2nd best pass defense ever(behind the 02 Bucs) which makes them the best overall defense

They had some bad luck with Randall going down in the season opener.

They destroyed Aikman in that one game.