"Flower Power In The Jalen Hurts Era" *2021 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread*

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Can't lie I came at your neck earlier on the season because I disregarded how much of Hurts production came in garbage time. I'm a Chargers fan but was defending dude based of the box score stats as I don't watch Eagles games. I've watched the last couple and dude is awful. Basically a 3rd down running back. His throws have no impact and all his passes are floaters cause he can't throw with any force. Add to that he's essentially a 1 read and run QB. I've lived here a couple years so to a degree I'm invested a bit despite not being an Eagles fan but Hurts is not it.

I can respect that. I'm pushing 40 and have been a birds fan for many years. Attended countless games, including playoff games. This QB situation is super disappointing. The moment we traded Wentz I was in full support of a total rebuild. We need help everywhere, including QB.

• Dap
Reactions: DLo

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
NO next up with a backup QB
Then we get NYG, NYJ, WAS, NYG

We should win at lest 3 of those

DLo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Hurts ain't it. I'm sure they let him finish the season but do they draft or try to pick up someone in free agency?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I'm disappointed but Im not even mad...offense looked well balanced today on both the run and the pass...there was a good mix up of plays from the O...the D did OK, but they just missed a few key stops...overall, they have looked A LOT better. Hurts looked good imo, accurate, extended plays with his feet and converted 3rd downs.... Howard was a beast...and Devonte caught everything this time....reagor looking like Mr. Invisible as usual tho

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm disappointed but Im not even mad...offense looked well balanced today on both the run and the pass...there was a good mix up of plays from the O...the D did OK, but they just missed a few key stops...overall, they have looked A LOT better. Hurts looked good imo, accurate, extended plays with his feet and converted 3rd downs.... Howard was a beast...and Devonte caught everything this time....reagor looking like Mr. Invisible as usual tho

We passed 17x today. You consider that balance?

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
I’m not too mad about yesterday. The Eagles kept it competitive with a contender and some young guys flashed, which is about all you can really ask for out of a rebuilding team.

Sirianni seems to be improving. He’s leaning on the O-Line in the run game more and incorporated more of a downfield rushing attack. He’s cut down on the screens and RPOs, and isn’t asking Hurts to do much. I still think Hurts is a limiting factor on the offense, and he missed two open TDs in a game where the Eagles lost by three, but this was one of his better games. I liked how, in the second half, Hurts was more willing to keep his eyes downfield and had some nice throws to Smith at the intermediate levels of the field. Sirianni is doing more to help him too, with incorporating pre-snap motion, taking greater advantage of his rushing ability, and calling play-action passes from under center. Need to see more of that.

Devonta Smith had his best game of the season – 5 catches, 116 YDs, a 23.2 AVG, and a TD. His production has been up-and-down (some of that’s on Smith, some on Sirianni, and some on Hurts), but he’s on pace for over 1,000 YDs on the season, which are numbers the Eagles haven’t seen from a rookie WR since the DJax and Maclin days. I think his size limits him a bit in that he’ll never be the guy to catch contested passes, or be much of a redzone threat, but his route-running is at a veteran level and he’s always open. The Eagles need a big bodied guy on the other side of him, e.g. Allen Robinson or Mike Williams. Combine that with Quez as an occasional downfield big-play threat, and the WR group can finally be worth taking seriously again.

I still want to see Sirianni with a better passing QB, because I think Hurts limits the potential of the offense (Herbert threw more passes today than Hurts has in the last two weeks combined), and I’d be comfortable giving him another year. But I’m about to jump on the “fire Gannon” bandwagon. :francis:

I mean, I don’t really expect an Eagles defense made up of JAGs and declining veterans to hold back Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler. But Gannon didn’t even seem to try. He holds back in the same passive defensive scheme, letting Herbert pick him apart, and doing nothing to change up or even give his guys a chance. I don’t expect a good defense out of the people we have, but Gannon just lies down in front of every good QB he faces. It’s fukking pathetic.

Overall, a pretty solid game from the offense. Horrendous game from the defense. But at least we weren’t embarrassed. On to next week.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I’m not too mad about yesterday. The Eagles kept it competitive with a contender and some young guys flashed, which is about all you can really ask for out of a rebuilding team.

Sirianni seems to be improving. He’s leaning on the O-Line in the run game more and incorporated more of a downfield rushing attack. He’s cut down on the screens and RPOs, and isn’t asking Hurts to do much. I still think Hurts is a limiting factor on the offense, and he missed two open TDs in a game where the Eagles lost by three, but this was one of his better games. I liked how, in the second half, Hurts was more willing to keep his eyes downfield and had some nice throws to Smith at the intermediate levels of the field. Sirianni is doing more to help him too, with incorporating pre-snap motion, taking greater advantage of his rushing ability, and calling play-action passes from under center. Need to see more of that.

Devonta Smith had his best game of the season – 5 catches, 116 YDs, a 23.2 AVG, and a TD. His production has been up-and-down (some of that’s on Smith, some on Sirianni, and some on Hurts), but he’s on pace for over 1,000 YDs on the season, which are numbers the Eagles haven’t seen from a rookie WR since the DJax and Maclin days. I think his size limits him a bit in that he’ll never be the guy to catch contested passes, or be much of a redzone threat, but his route-running is at a veteran level and he’s always open. The Eagles need a big bodied guy on the other side of him, e.g. Allen Robinson or Mike Williams. Combine that with Quez as an occasional downfield big-play threat, and the WR group can finally be worth taking seriously again.

I still want to see Sirianni with a better passing QB, because I think Hurts limits the potential of the offense (Herbert threw more passes today than Hurts has in the last two weeks combined), and I’d be comfortable giving him another year. But I’m about to jump on the “fire Gannon” bandwagon. :francis:

I mean, I don’t really expect an Eagles defense made up of JAGs and declining veterans to hold back Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, and Austin Ekeler. But Gannon didn’t even seem to try. He holds back in the same passive defensive scheme, letting Herbert pick him apart, and doing nothing to change up or even give his guys a chance. I don’t expect a good defense out of the people we have, but Gannon just lies down in front of every good QB he faces. It’s fukking pathetic.

Overall, a pretty solid game from the offense. Horrendous game from the defense. But at least we weren’t embarrassed. On to next week.

Devonta is best suited as a Flanker...that's why I keep advocating for a big, physical receiver who can be the Split End

Honestly, I wanna see Devonta used as a chess piece more...he can become a better version of Stephon Diggs

And I still want Drake London in the draft

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps

Fire gannon

I hate pulling the plug that quickly, but even a patient realist like me has to acknowledge how inept it's looked at times :huhldup:

Over the next two months we play Teddy, Daniel Jones x2, Heineke/Fitzpatrick? x2, Siemian/Hill?, and Wilson/White/Flacco? - Gannon has no choice but to put together some strong performances against those QBs or else he might actually be on the chopping block. I don't think they'll mind giving him some more talent to combat the great QBs/offenses next season but he has to earn that opportunity with a strong finish the rest of the way.

Daps
I hate pulling the plug that quickly, but even a patient realist like me has to acknowledge how inept it's looked at times :huhldup:

Over the next two months we play Teddy, Daniel Jones x2, Heineke/Fitzpatrick? x2, Siemian/Hill?, and Wilson/White/Flacco? - Gannon has no choice but to put together some strong performances against those QBs or else he might actually be on the chopping block. I don't think they'll mind giving him some more talent to combat the great QBs/offenses next season but he has to earn that opportunity with a strong finish the rest of the way.

Achieving such an extreme feat of ignominy in 8 weeks that hadn't been achieved in 70 years really should be grounds for immediate termination if we're being honest. There's no way he deserves another chance to right the ship after it already smashed into the iceberg.

Last edited:

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Achieving such an extreme feat of ignominy in 8 weeks that hadn't been achieved in 70 years really should be grounds for immediate termination if we're being honest. There's no way he deserves another chance to right the ship after it already smahed into the iceberg.
Typically I'd agree, and if it was a veteran DC I think it'd be easier to just move on - but as young coach I don't think they want to give up on him yet. It probably reminds Lurie of McDermott and how he got fired after one year and fell on the sword for 2010 and the lack of talent + his rookie mistakes. He went on to become a really good DC and now a really good head coach and even Andy said firing him was the biggest regret of his career.

I think they want to give Gannon a chance to grow but he's gotta finish strong. We don't play another great offense the rest of the year until week 18 Dallas and who knows if they'll even dress starters in that game.