Florida Gov. DeSantis will run for President in 2028

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I live in Florida. Insurance rates shouldn’t be capped. We already had companies leave the state because it wasn’t viable. Everyone knows it’s a risky place to own a home due to hurricanes. It’s only getting worse. That should be priced into the market. Folks need to either live with it or move.

Be a stooge for insurance companies bruh, im sure you were a fan of the tort reforms.

Daps
I live in Florida. Insurance rates shouldn’t be capped. We already had companies leave the state because it wasn’t viable. Everyone knows it’s a risky place to own a home due to hurricanes. It’s only getting worse. That should be priced into the market. Folks need to either live with it or move.

….what about the people who don’t live in flood or hurricane zones who have never had a claim that are seeing their rates spike 40-50%?

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
….what about the people who don’t live in flood or hurricane zones who have never had a claim that are seeing their rates spike 40-50%?
The fukked up part is, if it were only a 40-50% jump, people would bytch, but they’d be able to deal with it.

I honestly think he’s trying to turn Florida into this wealthy utopia. So if you’ve got money, welcome. If you’re broke, then kick rocks.

Daps
The fukked up part is, if it were only a 40-50% jump, people would bytch, but they’d be able to deal with it.

I honestly think he’s trying to turn Florida into this wealthy utopia. So if you’ve got money, welcome. If you’re broke, then kick rocks.

I’d been wondering something similar. Like he thinks he’s John Galt. But I always keep asking myself how no one sees that there’s gonna be an issue if no one poor can afford to live here. Someone’s gotta do the jobs the rich don’t wanna do.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
exactly. i've been paying homeowner insurance for over a decade with zero claims and my rate went up over $1k for the year.

Daps
exactly. i've been paying homeowner insurance for over a decade with zero claims and my rate went up over $1k for the year.

I’m looking to buy right now. And it’s some demoralizing shyt to see 500-600 get added to the monthly payment for insurance. shyt is basically an adjustable rate mortgage at this point.

Armchair Militant

Stay woke
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Florida is not very wide. The whole state is at risk. And just because someone didn’t make a claim, doesn’t mean their neighbors didn’t. “Businesses” go around knocking on doors telling people they know how to get them a free new roof. There’s a lot of fraud going on. Construction costs have risen significantly since the start of the pandemic. All those things add up and the costs get spread around.

Daps
Florida is not very wide. The whole state is at risk. And just because someone didn’t make a claim, doesn’t mean their neighbors didn’t. “Businesses” go around knocking on doors telling people they know how to get them a free new roof. There’s a lot of fraud going on. Construction costs have risen significantly since the start of the pandemic. All those things add up and the costs get spread around.

So you’re saying it’s not a problem for people who have never had claims to have the insurance payments see those kinds of spikes?

And if you’re gonna complain about the roof scams, what’s your opinion on the thousands of cases in Florida where an insurance company refuses to pay out, gets sued and then lose. Bad faith insurance claim denials are a huge issue.

Or to it put bluntly: fraud can’t account for insurance rates basically being 2nd mortgages in 2023.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just listened to this podcast. They brought in a Republican Senator & a member of a not-for-profit Insurance Institute:

Also listened to this one w/ a call-in segment:

The conversation is more nuanced than I realized, but I think you are overlooking the counter-argument, that these companies, first and foremost, are often in it to extract as much money as possible from citizens. And so, for the government to be taking their side, giving them a $1 billion subsidy, all while allowing them to set the tone of the conversation (thanks to the documented +$150 million they have given via lobbying), it is basically letting the fox run the hen house.

On top of that, they want to want make it more and more difficult to sue Insurers 'to keep costs low' and DeSantis already allowed that. Previously, the law was that if an insurer was found at fault, they would be responsible for lawyer fees. Now, even if you correctly show that the insurer acted disingenuously, you are still on the hook for lawyer fees. My understanding is that unlike the other states, when an insurer rejects a claim in FL, there's no $$$ at stake for customers to see if they can get what they feel owed. Yes, it also leads to fraud, but it also leads to insurers being held more accountable. The issue is that the government solution is to reduce fraud while also refusing to hold insurers at the same level of accountability. That is why the solution seems heavy-handed and solely for the benefit of the insurers. In fact, it often doesn't benefit the customer:
Lawmakers also question whether limiting lawsuits will actually reduce insurance rates. They point to the fact that homeowners’ rates continue to rise, despite making it much harder to sue them. “Did my rates go down?” Rep. Mike Beltran, R-Riverview, said last week. “No, my rates did not go down.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article273107190.html#storylink=cpy

Your speaking points are very much in lockstep w/ lobbyist/Republican talking points, but I do encourage you to check out other sources of information to see how the majority of customers are being screwed over, and how the government is subsidizing insurers and making their public option more expensive so that homeowners are more likely to pick a private plan that is 'cheaper' with a lot less coverage

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL