Fiyastarter Podcast Thread...

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
Sorry @Basaglia , i dont agree.

Nate Parker handled everything badly with the story of the rape case coming out, but to top it off the movie just isnt that good. The scene that was supposed to be the climax, the battle, went down like a whimper.

He actually did do a great job acting, but the movie itself wasnt good enough. I want a better director to get their hands on that story. I can't get on Parker too much because its his first time directing.

I will freely acknowledge the BS with women and Casey Affleck and other horrible actors who have done things like that, but I really believe if the movie was great people would have ignored it like they do with R. Kelly and Chris Brown and many other black male entertainers. The movie just failed to deliver for me and many others.

Let's put the movie to the side. If you didn't like it, fine. I only have a problem with people who liked it at Sundance and then magically changed their minds.

Now, the movie was "GREAT" for months until all hell broke loose about his wife. It won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award. It won at the Austin Film Critics Assoc. awards. Nate was nominated by the DGA as a first-time filmmaker.

You know what wasn't a great movie but had great performances? FENCES. You know why it was nominated for an Oscar? Because black folk would've had a fit if it wasn't. Ain't no black movies getting recognized without the support of the black community. Unfortunately, the fastest (and least accurate) way to guage the temperature of black America is social media and them BYTCHES was frying that man about a 17 year-old rape charge and white folks picked it up and ran with it. You can talk about how he handled it all you want. That dude apologized and was genuinely sorry to learn of the girl's death, but if the man says he's not apologizing for something he did NOT DO, then that's the end of that. He's not a politician. He ain't gotta parse his words for people. Robin Roberts was trying to get him to APOLOGIZE for RAPE. HELL NAH!

And for once it was nice to see a nygga with a spine. He could've begged and pleaded for the support of bitter ass women who only seem to find joy in their collective power break the will of whichever black man (and on occasion, a black woman or two) of the moment has raised their ire, but he didn't. GOOD!

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
Derek Luke was the other black actor who was destined for film stardom until...
Damn bruh, so bitter ass women ruined his up and coming career or was it following up Antoine Fisher with fukking Biker Boyz? :usure: or maybe he has a shytty agent. Or maybe, just maybe, dude just wasn't star material.

To your point, reading this type of shyt makes me want to pour acid in my eyes.

Does Derek Luke's Wife Make You Feel Some Type of Way?

But I just can't rock with the idea that this man, or Nate Parker's careers were destroyed because someone saw their wives weren't black and decided that they needed to be punished.

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
Damn bruh, so bitter ass women ruined his up and coming career or was it following up Antoine Fisher with fukking Biker Boyz? :usure: or maybe he has a shytty agent. Or maybe, just maybe, dude just wasn't star material.

But I just can't rock with the idea that this man, or Nate Parker's careers were destroyed because someone saw their wives weren't black and decided that they needed to be punished.
But you can't forget about Ghost from Power.... In 2013 he was looking like possibly a Will Smith with street cred, possibly the lead in Black Panther. Now he's still just doing Power and hosting club appearances .That pic of his wife stalled him

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
In regards to Tyrese, that nikka was shytting on women, mainly black, for years on Twitter and telling them how to live their lives. For him to talk all that shyt and then make that trolling ass post, I thought it was absolutely absurd.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
But you can't forget about Ghost from Power.... In 2013 he was looking like possibly a Will Smith with street cred, possibly the lead in Black Panther. Now he's still just doing Power and hosting club appearances .That pic of his wife stalled him

:merchant: where did you hear that from? Damn.

Anyway, I think Hollywood's lack of diversity and racism is/was the main factor in these dudes not hitting stardom. Not black women on twitter ripping them. Unfortunately room for black actor and actresses at the top of the food chain, and they came at time when Denzel, Will, Don, Jamie, Sam, and Morgan were on autodial in white directors/producers phones mainly because they're excellent black actors that will be recognized by a white audience. You gotta work, and if Spike Lee, David E. Talbert, Tyler Perry, and Malcolm Lee come knocking at your door, it would behoove you to answer.

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No

Nah nah nah, bruh. Don't even try it. You actin like Denzel didn't follow up his star-making performance in Glory with this piece of shyt...

MV5BMTIwMTQ3NDc3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIyNjcyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

One thing I know for sure: Nothing will stop a "rising star" in Hollywood. When they wanna make someone a star, they gon be a fukkin star. Matt McConaughey made nothing but bombs for a decade and they stayed vigilant about cysing that dude until he got it together. Clooney can't open a movie to save his fukkin life, but he's a megstar, owns a damn Italian villa. How? I have no idea because his movies BOMB over and over and over. But women love him and that is currency.

The correlation is that clean. Producers and distributers can only sell to the public what the public has shown a desire to be sold. So if I'm a producer and I'm seeing a lot of black women on social media don't wanna support a certain black man, no matter how handsome and how talented the nikka is...oh well, I ain't casting that muhfukka. And I'm speaking for me. If it were my job to hire a black actor for a major "black" flick right now, I ain't fukkin wit Nate or Derek or Omari...no thanks. I'd legit hire Anthony Anderson as the love interest before them nyggas. Because the core audience for the project don't fukk wit them. Look, man, the game is the game. We know how this works. And that's all my point was. We can't keep pretending that this vitriol shown by a very loud minority of black women doesn't have an impact on the careers of nyggas with partners of whom these women do not approve. That kind of feigning of ignorance is harmful.

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
:merchant: where did you hear that from? Damn.

Anyway, I think Hollywood's lack of diversity and racism is/was the main factor in these dudes not hitting stardom. Not black women on twitter ripping them. Unfortunately room for black actor and actresses at the top of the food chain, and they came at time when Denzel, Will, Don, Jamie, Sam, and Morgan were on autodial in white directors/producers phones mainly because they're excellent black actors that will be recognized by a white audience. You gotta work, and if Spike Lee, David E. Talbert, Tyler Perry, and Malcolm Lee come knocking at your door, it would behoove you to answer.

Funny you mention him. His movies been bombing left and right. I wonder why. Prolly because both his baby mamas ain't black and he been dikkin down Katie Holmes the last 4 years and Bossip be blowing up his spot every other month about it.

Bruh, we cannot pretend this shyt ain't real. I was in the theater when bytches started crying because Denzel fukked Milla Jovovich in He Got Game. He caped for that young "sex worker" and one women yelled at the screen and a woman a row up from me CRIED.

It's real.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I only have a problem with people who liked it at Sundance and then magically changed their minds.

Mufukkin church.

And mufukkaz left their receipts all over the place from liking it then changing their mind once the rape trial history came to light.

Also find it real funny that cats ignore the fact that the cat with Nate did goto jail.

It fukkin disgusts me that sistas go harder against black men and completely hit the :hubie:when it comes to white people. shyt is real c00nish

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
How? He defended himself. That's about it.
he went on Good Morning America and made an ass of himself. He went on various radio shows and was an ass.

I wanted to defend him until I started seeing how he acted and I couldnt anymore.

One thing he coulda done was start speaking up for survivors of sexual assault. Advocate for those orgs. Basically take the Mike VIck template. I know Vick was actually guilty, but thats just what you have to do.

Let's put the movie to the side. If you didn't like it, fine. I only have a problem with people who liked it at Sundance and then magically changed their minds.

Now, the movie was "GREAT" for months until all hell broke loose about his wife. It won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award. It won at the Austin Film Critics Assoc. awards. Nate was nominated by the DGA as a first-time filmmaker.
lets remember the moment tho. This was post Oscar nominations 2016. #OscarSoWhite was happening. Blame them white liberals for getting peoples hype up to make up for fukking over black artists the prior two years. (And I say two because I don't really believe 2015 was the year to really do the boycott. Selma barely getting a best picture nomination in 2015, and David Oyewole and Ava Duvernay not getting nominated was what pissed me off)

I earnestly believe that the white liberals who attended those festivals were looking for something to jump on, and they hyped up Birth of a Nation.

You know what wasn't a great movie but had great performances? FENCES. You know why it was nominated for an Oscar? Because black folk would've had a fit if it wasn't.
I actually agree with you on this. I did not like Fences that much. It was dry fukking movie and I kinda wished someone not so close to the play directed that movie because Denzel didnt do a good job with it. Thankfully Hidden Figures and Moonlight also got love.

I aint the one who cares about regular black folk feelings on movies because they tend to overhype some shyt and ignore others.

Ain't no black movies getting recognized without the support of the black community. Unfortunately, the fastest (and least accurate) way to guage the temperature of black America is social media and them BYTCHES was frying that man about a 17 year-old rape charge and white folks picked it up and ran with it. You can talk about how he handled it all you want. That dude apologized and was genuinely sorry to learn of the girl's death, but if the man says he's not apologizing for something he did NOT DO, then that's the end of that. He's not a politician. He ain't gotta parse his words for people. Robin Roberts was trying to get him to APOLOGIZE for RAPE. HELL NAH!
My only answer is we don't do this for others. When these police officers get off for killing unarmed black men, we don't hold them to the same standard you are trying to apply here.

I don't think he should apologize for something he was found not guilty of, but he also should have been a lot more sensitive to the matter.

But none of that has to do with this movie, which just wasn't that good. It was not a bad movie at all, but I think a lot of the opposite reaction is just a reaction against a lot of the femnazis who shytted on the movie without even seeing it.

And for once it was nice to see a nygga with a spine. He could've begged and pleaded for the support of bitter ass women who only seem to find joy in their collective power break the will of whichever black man (and on occasion, a black woman or two) of the moment has raised their ire, but he didn't. GOOD!
Great. It dont have anything to do with that movie not being as good as the hype.

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
he went on Good Morning America and made an ass of himself. He went

Let's just address this...

How's that?

I don't agree that he made a fool of himself. He drew the line. She kept pushing and he drew the line. He was falsely accused and he's NOT going to apologize. That's the end of it.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Let's just address this...

How's that?

I don't agree that he made a fool of himself. He drew the line. She kept pushing and he drew the line. He was falsely accused and he's NOT going to apologize. That's the end of it.

here's the thing, I dont even care about that with regards to the movie. He can feel how he feels about the rape charge and trial. He can pretend he didnt run a smear campaign on that woman when htey were in school. All that. At the end of the day, I can separate art from the artist. I did that with this movie. My original point wasn't about anything but the movie not being anywhere near as good as the hype. It just wasnt.

Now if you feel differnet then thats also cool, but I can't hype a movie like that up. I didnt leave the theater like I did when I saw a movie like Moonlight or Hidden Figures or Arrival. It wasn't a remarkable movie to me. I dont think anyone screwed or fukked over the movie. I honestly believe it was liberal white Hollywood propping something up because of the Oscar So White boycott. It wasnt Nate Parker or the people around Birth of a Nation's fault for that, but I do believe that got people excited for a movie that underwhelmed.

I want to see Nat Turner's story done in the hands of someone else. It may be an older and more experienced Nate Parker, idk. But this movie just didnt do it for me.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
he went on Good Morning America and made an ass of himself. He went on various radio shows and was an ass.

I wanted to defend him until I started seeing how he acted and I couldnt anymore.

One thing he coulda done was start speaking up for survivors of sexual assault. Advocate for those orgs. Basically take the Mike VIck template. I know Vick was actually guilty, but thats just what you have to do

He went on GMA and virtually was painted into a corner bruh.

And maybe he feels its not his place to speak up or advocate for sexual assaults victims considering he was accused of it and the rest of the world bought into it. So yeah... He didn't HAVE to do shyt.

At this point you'd be better just saying that you believe thet raped that girl.

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
here's the thing, I dont even care about that with regards to the movie. He can feel how he feels about the rape charge and trial. He can pretend he didnt run a smear campaign on that woman when htey were in school. All that.

Everything about those dudes launching some campaign against her on campus has never been corroborated. Once we stick with things we can prove, these matters become much easier to manage morally and ethically. He and his boy had the support of black student orgs and a lotta white students who knew them. It stands to reason they didn't NEED to smear her.

At the end of the day, I can separate art from the artist. I did that with this movie. My original point wasn't about anything but the movie not being anywhere near as good as the hype. It just wasnt.

That's fine. i believe you. I do not believe people who changed their minds in a matter of months.

Now if you feel differnet then thats also cool, but I can't hype a movie like that up. I didnt leave the theater like I did when I saw a movie like Moonlight or Hidden Figures or Arrival. It wasn't a remarkable movie to me. I dont think anyone screwed or fukked over the movie. I honestly believe it was liberal white Hollywood propping something up because of the Oscar So White boycott. It wasnt Nate Parker or the people around Birth of a Nation's fault for that, but I do believe that got people excited for a movie that underwhelmed.

I simply do not agree. Films that are universally praised at the most important film festival in the United States tend to trend upward throughout the year and they tend to appear on a lot of year-end list and they tend to be called by presenters at lots of award shows in the Fall. Let's just take the last ten years of Sundance Grand Jury Prize winners shall we?

2008: Frozen River...Critically Acclaimed, oscar nom for Melissa Leo

2009: Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire...oscar nominee best film...Gabby for best actress

2010: Winter's Bone...one of the most crtically-acclaimed films of that year. Jennifer's Lawrence's breakthrough.

2011: Like Crazy...critically acclaimed. Won several major awards. J-Law's follow-up

2012: Beasts of the Southern Wild...oscar nominee

2013: Fruitvale...one of most-critically acclaimed films of the year

2014: Whiplash...oscar nominee

2015: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl...critically-acclaimed.

2016: The Birth of a Nation...critically-acclaimed until bitter bytches opened the floodgates for white folks who ain't wanna deal with the film.

2017: I don't’ feel at home in this world anymore....90% on rotten tomatoes. But who knows. The Birth of a Nation was near 100%...until all the bullshyt.

Four of the ten were nominated for best picture. So you tell me...is the Sundance Grand Jury Prize (Drama) a good indicator for a film's success on the awards circuit? I mean, can it match your keen cinematic eye? I hate to be such an a$$hole, but you are Cuban B'ing some shyt that's DIRECTLY in front of you. That movie went under when them bytches had him trending #1 on the fastest and most destructive communication apparatus ever created. I didn't even bring up the bogus homophobia charge from RANDOM GAY BLACK MAN. He just pops up swearing he saw an interview where Nate said he'd never portray a gay man in order to "perserve the black man."...no media outlet would confirm they conducted an interview with Nate where such comments were made. However, is Nate Parker not perceived as homophobic now? Oh, he is? OH WELL, it's just a man's FUKKIN REPUTATION, right?

I want to see Nat Turner's story done in the hands of someone else. It may be an older and more experienced Nate Parker, idk. But this movie just didnt do it for me.

Maybe Spike can do it and inject his trademark didacticism and a dolly shot of Nat gliding toward us with an axe.

Lastly, you damn right nyggas react differently when blacks are killed by cops and racists and watch them walk. Because there's a painful history there. There's also a painful history of white women falsely accusing black men of rape. I am not that "evolved" bruh. And neither are bitter bytches who would rather spend time tryna figure out who "Becky" is so they could curse at her on twitter, while ignoring the actions of their queen's ugly husband.

Last edited:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
I didnt leave the theater like I did when I saw a movie like Moonlight or Hidden Figures
When I found out what I was watching with Moonlight, I was so fukkin annoyed it wasn't even funny. Black actors gotta suck cock, be a villain, or fukk a white man to get an Oscar? Ryan Goseling is one of my favorite actors and all he did was sing and dance to get his. :mjlol:

And you wanna talk about an overhyped movie? Hidden Figures is overhyped as fukk. It was cool and I thought it was a story that needed to he told but I wasn't blown away.

honestly believe it was liberal white Hollywood propping something up because of the Oscar So White boycott. It wasnt Nate Parker or the people around Birth of a Nation's fault for that, but I do believe that got people excited for a movie that underwhelmed.

If thats the case then why did it go from like a 90 plus percent to like 78% on RT? Did white liberal Hollywood finally realize the movie wasn't that good? :mjlol: