First impressions of "The Wire"

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Yes nikka I did. Without season 4 (the greatest season of ANY television show EVER) it would be number 1. The damn series should have started with season 2 as season 1 IMO because it showed you how the shyt got here, how it wasn't just nikkaz in the hood. It showed you how drugs impacted not only "nikkaz" but also people who were just trying to provide for their families, friends and co-workers. That is the story that a lot of people don't like to tell and they did that shyt perfectly.
I don't know breh, of course my opinion means shyt since I haven't seen it yet but I've seen some people put Breaking Bad season 5 as an equal to season 4 of the wire.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I don't know breh, of course my opinion means shyt since I haven't seen it yet but I've seen some people put Breaking Bad season 5 as an equal to season 4 of the wire.

Breaking Bad is a hell of a show but I'm telling you season four of the Wire is crazy, they could have easily made a spin-off of that season alone and it would have been great tv.

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Funny thing for people who may not know, season three was supposed to be the original end of The Wire that is why they put so much into it. Crazy to think we almost didn't get a season four.

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
It aint even close between The Wire and Breaking Bad. The Wire and The Sopranos for that matter are on a different level.

One of the reasons I got into Breaking Bad was because it reminded me of season two of the Wire, Walter White was Frank Sabotka, he didn't want to do what he did but he was looking out for his son in the beginning

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
One of the reasons I got into Breaking Bad was because it reminded me of season two of the Wire, Walter White was Frank Sabotka, he didn't want to do what he did but he was looking out for his son in the beginning
Walt definitely wanted to make meth.

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Walt definitely wanted to make meth.

Once he got into it he did, but the original reasons were because of his son's condition, his cancer and his wife being pregnant. Hew was working at that car wash part time and he got fed up when dude told him to go wash cars. His initial reason of doing that shyt was to help but then he caught up just like Frank did...well Frank got caught up when he was trying to look out for his nephew and Ziggy but you get what I'm saying. The greed is what fukked them up but they were both doing it for the people around them.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Once he got into it he did, but the original reasons were because of his son's condition, his cancer and his wife being pregnant. Hew was working at that car wash part time and he got fed up when dude told him to go wash cars. His initial reason of doing that shyt was to help but then he caught up just like Frank did...well Frank got caught up when he was trying to look out for his nephew and Ziggy but you get what I'm saying. The greed is what fukked them up but they were both doing it for the people around them.
Nah Frank had a kind of nobility that Walt could never even sniff at. The main reason why Frank did dirt was to raise money for political contributions in the hopes of keeping the docking industry alive and in the process save jobs. Think about all the money he must have got from the Greek and he didn't spend a cent of it on himself. Frank didn't get greedy, he just got caught up. Walt's reasons for getting into that shyt may have been somewhat relateable but they sure as hell didn't stay that way.

Last edited:

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Nah Frank had a kind of nobility that Walt could never even sniff at. The main reason why Frank did dirt was to raise money for political contributions in the hopes of keeping the docking industry alive and in the process save jobs. Think about all the money he must have got from the Greek and he didn't spend a cent of it on himself. Frank didn't get greedy, he just got caught. Walt's reasons for getting into that shyt may have been somewhat relateable but they sure as hell didn't stay that way.

Frank got greedy but it was because of a third party and he did spend money on himself, remember that big ass truck he copped after his nephew grabbed one? It wasn't spoke about but you saw it if you paid attention to it. He might not have gotten outlandish with it but once his nephew and son was gettin money and blowing it he didn't tell them to stop. He wasn't outlandish but the parallels between the both are there.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Frank got greedy but it was because of a third party and he did spend money on himself, remember that big ass truck he copped after his nephew grabbed one? It wasn't spoke about but you saw it if you paid attention to it. He might not have gotten outlandish with it but once his nephew and son was gettin money and blowing it he didn't tell them to stop. He wasn't outlandish but the parallels between the both are there.
I think you're reaching. His truck has absolutely no bearing on anything that happens in the plot and whenever he became aware of Ziggy and Nick's excesses he responded negatively, he couldn't intervene without drawing unwanted attention. The series as a whole relied very heavily on signposting in charting the narratives of its characters and I don't think the idea that Frank got greedy is alluded to at all beyond what you pointed out. We're supposed to see Frank as a tragic hero caught between cynical, corrupt politics and the decline of industrial America. He states his mantra pretty clearly,
'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shyt in this country... build shyt. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'
As things escalate he naturally becomes more desperate and slowly loses his handle on things (i.e. Nick & Zig) but that isn't the same thing as getting greedy.