Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Real talk this game looks like it could run on PS4. I’m not impressed at all with the visuals. Hell I even think remake looks better during gameplay sequences.

Not those EIKON battles

I know those shyts are gonna have my ps5 sweatin :whew:

TydWCZ.gif

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Real talk this game looks like it could run on PS4. I’m not impressed at all with the visuals. Hell I even think remake looks better during gameplay sequences.
It looks fine to me. More than acceptable. Some of the animations looked stiff but that’s not really a big deal as a guy who is used to games where there’s 2 drawings of characters talking it could be worse.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Which is what has turned me off from a lot of JRPG’s in recent years, it just gets too silly in the second half. I don’t mind something layered or complex, but it still has to serve a purpose to the story or world building.

What a lot of rpgs do is just making things more complicated or over explaining things to the detriment of the narrative. Then you fight god in the end

The problem with most Jrpgs is the same problem with most anime and the reason I can't bother with the shyt any more and havent for years.

Most writers over there are actually hacks and have no idea of brevity, scaling up, or ending things coherently. I loved most of Tales of Arise but the last 5 or so hours was so silly it took it from a 9.5 to like a 8.5. P5R as good as it is, is an unreplayable game because even speed running through the shyt is like a fukking 70 hour game :dahell:

Its not uncommon for you to start out having your biggest issue being fighting chickens or some shyt and a couple weeks later in game time you are fighting god :dwillhuh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The problem with most Jrpgs is the same problem with most anime and the reason I can't bother with the shyt any more and havent for years.

Most writers over there are actually hacks and have no idea of brevity, scaling up, or ending things coherently. I loved most of Tales of Arise but the last 5 or so hours was so silly it took it from a 9.5 to like a 8.5. P5R as good as it is, is an unreplayable game because even speed running through the shyt is like a fukking 70 hour game :dahell:

Its not uncommon for you to start out having your biggest issue being fighting chickens or some shyt and a couple weeks later in game time you are fighting god :dwillhuh:

You can tell i loved person 5 cause i played vanilla and royal and platinumed the latter. Thats a game with GOOD writing, it reminds me of something like Death Note, a lot of good twists and clever turns something good japanese writers do well. Even though you do fight god in the end in that game also

I would never play that shyt again though and it kinda made me unexcited to play through another one so i dont even know if im gonna play the 3 remake or 6 right away.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

[Game Informer] Final Fantasy 16’s Endgame: New Game+, Ultimaniac Mode, And More​

During our Final Fantasy XVI cover story trip, I played a few hours of the game much of the press experienced. But I was also given an exclusive tour of FFXVI's endgame and other supplementary content by creative director Hiroshi Takai and combat director Ryota Suzuki.

It's safe to say there's plenty to play, especially if you enjoy chasing numbers in combat.
eikonic_ability.jpg.jpg

FFXVI features an Arcade Mode, allowing players to run through stages they've already completed, this time with an on-screen score calculator and combat grader. But a New Game+ playthrough opens up two additional versions, and both are more difficult than the game's base Story Mode and Action Mode difficulties. It's important to note you can play through New Game+ on one of these base difficulties if you'd like, but you're missing a lot of features intended for New Game+. If you're after treasures you missed or PlayStation Trophies you didn't collect, Stage Replay might suit your needs better. And if you're after some combat training or a speedy, destructive action fix, there's a special training mode, accessible through a statuesque Arete Stone within Clive's main hub.
New Game+ lets you play through FFXVI with all of your previously unlocked abilities and gear from the jump, but the highlight is Final Fantasy Mode. This increases the game's difficulty, changes monster placement, and remixes which enemies might appear in combat.

"The main design philosophy is that the first playthrough is about learning Clive, learning the controls, and then enjoying the story," Suzuki says. "The second playthrough, we want to shift that focus – because the story hasn't changed – to the action. For example, in Story Mode, while players may encounter waves of enemies, a lot of times, enemies don't attack at once to allow players to be able to handle everything. In the harder modes of the game, we have removed these limitations so that you have multiple enemies all attacking Clive at the same time.
ffxvi_rings1.jpg

In a Final Fantasy Mode New Game+ playthrough, by interacting with the Arete Stone in your hideaways, you can complete Final Fantasy Mode difficulty stages in Arcade Mode or an even more difficult variant called Ultimaniac Mode. Arcade Mode's global leaderboards will only be active in these two modes.

"[These modes were] pretty much created solely for the hardcore players, those players that pride themselves on their skills in action games," Suzuki says, noting that the only exclusive reward players can earn from these modes is pride. "[It's] a challenge that, even for them, is going to be very difficult to complete."
And Final Fantasy and Ultimaniac Mode are just two things awaiting you in a more challenging run of New Game+. A New Game+ run also allows you to upgrade your weapons further beyond what you can in your initial playthrough. You can also upgrade accessories, which is only possible in the game in a Final Fantasy Mode playthrough in New Game+. You'll also gain access to the Final Chronolith Trials, or if you're not in Final Fantasy Mode, just Chronolith Trials.

These trials are the most difficult challenge in FFXVI, Takai says. They consist of multiple stages, each with four rounds of enemies. The first three rounds will be standard waves of monsters, each increasing in difficulty as you progress. The fourth round, however, will feature a boss. Chronolith Trials are also time trials, and every stage contains a list of moves, combos, and objectives you can execute to gain more time. However, pulling these off won't be easy because there's no healing in these trials, save for recovery that immediately begins after activating any Limit Break move.

GrudgeBooty

Rookie
Daps
Not to derail the thread but @Gizmo_Duck you might like Legend of Heroes: Trails from Azure. I think it was originally a PsP game, but you can get it on PC and modern systems. it's got quirky fun dialogue, it's turn-based so I don't know if you'll like that, buuuuut most importantly, the good story makes sense! Your brain won't melt like the last act of Tales of Arise!

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not to derail the thread but @Gizmo_Duck you might like Legend of Heroes: Trails from Azure. I think it was originally a PsP game, but you can get it on PC and modern systems. it's got quirky fun dialogue, it's turn-based so I don't know if you'll like that, buuuuut most importantly, the good story makes sense! Your brain won't melt like the last act of Tales of Arise!

I never played Arise (for that very reason) but I’ll check it out

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Loving the good previews so far. Seriously can’t wait for this. Havent played a good modern JRPG in a long time. Can’t wait to dig into this :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If you don't like Japanese style RPGs with tropes The Legend of Heroes Trails series might be a tough sell. Even being willing starting from Azure is problematic as it's the second game of a duology.