Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Dead? It looks like it still has stats levels and classes so it is def an rpg. You must mean turn based:patrice: those are very much alive and well
FF7R had those too but it didn't feel like it was an RPG at all. It was damn near a linear action game.

I'm not complaining, but Square used to give us a lot of variety in FF games in terms of systems. Now it seems like they are committing to this action based system that's movie-like and it's getting generic.

I expect a GOTY type game and I'll really like it probably, but I just miss the older style games with more flexibility. Even FF12 wasn't completely turn based but it was a RPG through and through.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
FF7R had those too but it didn't feel like it was an RPG at all. It was damn near a linear action game.

I'm not complaining, but Square used to give us a lot of variety in FF games in terms of systems. Now it seems like they are committing to this action based system that's movie-like and it's getting generic.

I expect a GOTY type game and I'll really like it probably, but I just miss the older style games with more flexibility. Even FF12 wasn't completely turn based but it was a RPG through and through.

They make other games in those styles, Dragon Quest, Octopath, Bravely, etc.

Final Fantasy really hasn’t been ‘traditional’ turn based combat since the ps2. Honestly, Persona 5 was probably the last hurrah for me in terms of traditional turn based rpg combat. The type where you just stand in a line and take turns jumping back and forth. That along with Dragon Quest XI was just enough for me.

I like turn based systems like Divinity here you get to actually be strategic as to where you place your units and where you can create environmental effects, etc. games where positioning matters.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Final Fantasy 16 needs to be seen to be believed. It's the PlayStation 5 game I have been waiting on for the past few years, and then some. The trailers and screenshots and videos don't do it justice – you need it in your hands to feel it, to understand the promises of Square Enix, at least from what I've seen so far, are all being delivered on. Final Fantasy is back, and it might be better than ever.

From what I've played Final Fantasy 16 is surely set to deliver. Its intense battles escalate to an outrageous sense of scale; exceptional cinematics weave seamlessly into battle to truly showcase the power of the PlayStation 5; and Yoshida and his team exude confidence in their vision.

What I want to see next are the quieter moments. Peacefully riding a chocobo around that sumptuous world. Tender moments from Clive so we can empathise with him as the protagonist. If this demo showed the peaks, what's in the valleys? I'm excited to explore further and find out.

Oh, and for music fans, this time the iconic battle fanfare has lyrics sung by a choir. It's awesome.

Last edited:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They make other games in those styles, Dragon Quest, Octopath, Bravely, etc.

Final Fantasy really hasn’t been ‘traditional’ turn based combat since the ps2. Honestly, Persona 5 was probably the last hurrah for me in terms of traditional turn based rpg combat. The type where you just stand in a line and take turns jumping back and forth. That along with Dragon Quest XI was just enough for me.

I like turn based systems like Divinity here you get to actually be strategic as to where you place your units and where you can create environmental effects, etc. games where positioning matters.
You gotta play Octopath Traveler 2 that game is absolutely flames and it’s straight retro. I’m going to be a strong advocate for that game after copping last week I love it

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You gotta play Octopath Traveler 2 that game is absolutely flames and it’s straight retro. I’m going to be a strong advocate for that game after copping last week I love it

I don’t mind turn based in stuff that is actively trying to be retro though. It’s more so seeing these high fidelity graphics and fully realized chracters not moving around the battle field and just issuing menu commands that just doesn’t work for me anymore.

I found the battle system of DQXI to be a slog, and i leveled all my characters to 99. Torturous

I also hated the fact that your party members were just useless dummies in FF7 Remake if you weren’t actively controlling them.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t mind turn based in stuff that is actively trying to be retro though. It’s more so seeing these high fidelity graphics and fully realized chracters not moving around the battle field and just issuing menu commands that just doesn’t work for me anymore.

I found the battle system of DQXI to be a slog, and i leveled all my characters to 99. Torturous

I also hated the fact that your party members were just useless dummies in FF7 Remake if you weren’t actively controlling them.
Then what are you complaining about there’s literally something for everyone out there if you can’t find your groove download some emulators

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The story sounds pretty promising. Will probably put this on easy mode or story mode just to experience that because I'm not really interested in Devil May Cry character action gameplay in a Final Fantasy game. Never been into character action games in general so them infiltration genres I like is pretty disappointing.