Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Tales series still follows its traditions it was never not what it still is. If you picked up a Tales game and it was turn-based combat probably be like what the hell?

It's not random chance that the majority of people really haven't loved a game in this series since the last turn-based one.

The series abandoned its identity and the reception to the games has mostly been lukewarm ever since.

Final Fantasy 7 remake abandoned turn based combat and it’s been the most praised game they’ve released outside of 14. 13 was turn based and everyone hated it.

The battle system has nothing to do with it. In fact the biggest problems with XV wasn’t the battle system it was almost everything else

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Turn based games weren't even that strategic.

I'm happy with more actiony FF, remake was the best shyt they did in damn near a decade

this is the funniest part. when you really go back and think most turn based final fantasy outside of Tactics wasn't really that strategic. you can get through the entire game spamming attack with an occasional potion. Every boss has one weakness you just exploit and its rinse and repeat.

people are just prisoners of the past.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
this is the funniest part. when you really go back and think most turn based final fantasy outside of Tactics wasn't really that strategic. you can get through the entire game spamming attack with an occasional potion. Every boss has one weakness you just exploit and its rinse and repeat.

people are just prisoners of the past.

yup, I was playing through 9 a few days ago and I mean I know that game like the back of my hand at this point but I wouldn't really call it any more strategic than a dmc lol.

2/7/8 you could break with relative triviality.

10 had some strategic battles but they were really just a one off thing, like yunalesca
12 and 13 was basically on rails if you wanted them to be

so I guess...1/3/4/5/6 had strategy? them games came out like 30 years ago :mjlol:

get with the times, we saw what it could be like with remake and folks aint going back :hubie: you want turn based play DQ or want of them dozen alchemist games.

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
10 had some strategic battles but they were really just a one off thing, like yunalesca
12 and 13 was basically on rails if you wanted them to be

Depends how you wanted to play. For 10 I had the Celestial weapons for Auron and Wakka, so the end game was a breeze, plus I never really used Aeons like that.

12 Zodiac Age version I got the sunflower 2 handed sword thing, leveled up more than enough and maxed out the job license for each character.

When I was a kid though, me and a lot of my friends found these games kinda difficult

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
12 was the most strategic out of the menu based FF, and it literally does the attacks for you. Same with FF7 Remake, it just erases the middle-man press x to attack aspect to clear you up to do other things.

12 is still my favorite just because of the amount of combinations you could come up with to break the combat. I like that most of the fighting was done before you even got into combat.

the reason I've always liked Final Fantasy back in the day is the aspect of you never know what to expect with each entry. Its like Kanye or Kendrick albums, especially with the former. They don't always hit but you're always interested in seeing what they do next.

on one had you got nikkas that constantly complain that every game is the same and shyt never changes then you got people complaining that games are abandoning their fans and changing too much.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Depends how you wanted to play. For 10 I had the Celestial weapons for Auron and Wakka, so the end game was a breeze, plus I never really used Aeons like that.

12 Zodiac Age version I got the sunflower 2 handed sword, leveled up more than enough and maxed out the job license for each character.

When I was a kid though, me and a lot of my friends found these games kinda difficult

even as a shorty I was always pretty good at breaking games so nothing really stopped me in those. I did get bopped by seymour 3 and yunalesca on first try though.

10 definitely had some pretty good fights tbh.

while I love 12 you could become a god pretty quickly in that

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
seymour 3

I loathed this fight. I think I only got through thanks to a lucky Zanmato one shot

But yeah, as a kid I didn't have the patience to level grind or keep trying to find a strategy that works. Playing it again when I was older I realized the same thing you did with 12

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I loathed this fight. I think I only got through thanks to a lucky Zanmato one shot

But yeah, as a kid I didn't have the patience to level grind or keep trying to find a strategy that works. Playing it again when I was older I realized the same thing you did with 12

I mean, I beat Ozma when I was like 10 or something. I was a gamer gamer even as a jitt ha

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
I mean, I beat Ozma when I was like 10 or something. I was a gamer gamer even as a jitt ha

:salute:

Sound like one of my cousins. He was beating games which the rest of us barely would reached the end part at like 11-12.

I keep telling him he was born in the wrong era. If he was born in the 2000s he'd be one of those streamers or gaming YouTubers

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Watching the latest trailer, if someone didn't tell me it was Final Fantasy I would've thought it was some game from Platinum Games.
I don't really like the aesthetics and overall look of the game. It's bleh to me. Just a bunch of brown/grey overtones making the game look like some sort of old war torn era game.

I'm not necessarily against real time combat as I felt like FFVII Remake did a wonderful job with the combat system but I wouldn't be against turn based battle systems based FF for a mainline entry. That's why I like Persona because at least so far they haven't tried to deviate from what works. Worst case they make a spin off game for their ideas(P5 Strikers).

This looks like a freaking slasher game at times during the trailer. I'll play it but I'm not really excited for this at all. Looks like they leaned harder into the things I didn't really like about FFXV.

Square has made no indication in the past decade that its interested in turn-based anymore. And guess what? From the financials...they are correct. I get my turn-based fix from Persona now. And even they did a spin-off that was active battle. I'm not bothered by it.

What I play FF for is story/character development. And with that in mind the quicker you can get me in and out of battle the better.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Square has made no indication in the past decade that its interested in turn-based anymore. And guess what? From the financials...they are correct. I get my turn-based fix from Persona now. And even they did a spin-off that was active battle. I'm not bothered by it.

What I play FF for is story/character development. And with that in mind the quicker you can get me in and out of battle the better.

For me turn-based games are their own genre at this point. usually isometric games with a number of units you can move around a map and plan attacks with.

The idea of standing in a line and pressing attack over and over is outdated. Turn based games need to be entirely built around that aspect for it to make sense to me these days.

For example, Divinity Original Sin 2. I was getting my ass kicked on the bridge into Arx. Thats because the monsters had height advantage over and got too many good attacks in off the bat. Next time I fought them, i circled around the back, climbed a ladder into the ruined fort above and attacked them with arrows and spells from above and pretty much decimated then while my melee characters flanked them after they were riddled with status effects.

You can’t do that kind of stuff in traditional jrpgs. The turn based mechanic the way they’ve been used in those games just doesn’t work anymore.