Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Naw, im just assuming but theres no other party members in the screenshots or gameplay videos. There might be temporary companions. I guess we’ll see when they start the marketing
Actually you might be right, just rewatched the old trailer the people at the campfire just seem to be a part of his precious squad. They might be unrelated to a party in the story.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You must be Planetsmasher, im sure of it :mjlol:
I didn't get into Final Fantasy to play a game that looks like DMC. I want a party and turn based strategic battles like we had. Other companies see turn based battles can work.

This is like when EA and other companies decided fans didn't want survival horror and quit making those style games. The fans themselves never dictated survival horror fell out of favor.

Final Fantasy fans never demanded turn based strategic combat be abondoned. Who asked for this?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That dude hates everything smh
I guess you forgot when Capcom tried to turn Resident Evil into a straight up action game abandoning survival horror because all these companies decided nobody wanted survival horror.

Square seems like they're afraid to make an actual big budget Final Fantasy game so they have to abandon turn based combat and go a different direction. We haven't had a traditional game in the series since 9 or 10. It's been a decade and a half plus of them avoiding that. Also that coincides with people feeling like the series is trash. XII had a mixed reception and nothing since has really been loved by the fans.

Companies like this need to stop trying to fix what isn't broke. This series had a core identity they've completely for far too long.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I didn't get into Final Fantasy to play a game that looks like DMC. I want a party and turn based strategic battles like we had. Other companies see turn based battles can work.

This is like when EA and other companies decided fans didn't want survival horror and quit making those style games. The fans themselves never dictated survival horror fell out of favor.

Final Fantasy fans never demanded turn based strategic combat be abondoned. Who asked for this?
I mean FF hasn’t been traditional turn based for a good long time. And the series has always been known to be pretty experimental. As long as the story is good and combat is at least enjoyable it’s fine to me.

There is a good amount of other turn based series. SMT, Persona, Yakuza (since LaD), Trails, and Dragon Quest to name a few.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess you forgot when Capcom tried to turn Resident Evil into a straight up action game abandoning survival horror because all these companies decided nobody wanted survival horror.

Square seems like they're afraid to make an actual big budget Final Fantasy game so they have to abandon turn based combat and go a different direction. We haven't had a traditional game in the series since 9 or 10. It's been a decade and a half plus of them avoiding that. Also that coincides with people feeling like the series is trash. XII had a mixed reception and nothing since has really been loved by the fans.

Companies like this need to stop trying to fix what isn't broke. This series had a core identity they've completely for far too long.
Which is weird because Dragon Quest has stayed largley turn based and sells the fukk out every single time with critical praise too. I'd wager that is

the premerie RPG coming out of Square these days and FF is more like some call of duty appeal to the lowest common denominator type shyt.

Whatever is the latest thing in gaming FF will try to replicate it. Shallow flashy combat? Trash open word with nothing to do? ETC

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

I wasn’t referring to you I was referring to planet smasher.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
If this doesn't have a party I ain't fukking with it

Action battle system is cool, but no party is too much

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na

They can do non turn based and still keep it close to tradition

Look at the Tales series

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Which is weird because Dragon Quest has stayed largley turn based and sells the fukk out every single time with critical praise too. I'd wager that is

the premerie RPG coming out of Square these days and FF is more like some call of duty appeal to the lowest common denominator type shyt.

Whatever is the latest thing in gaming FF will try to replicate it. Shallow flashy combat? Trash open word with nothing to do? ETC
I can’t wait to see how yall nikkas react when they reveal the new battle system for DQXII :mjlol:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Watching the latest trailer, if someone didn't tell me it was Final Fantasy I would've thought it was some game from Platinum Games.
I don't really like the aesthetics and overall look of the game. It's bleh to me. Just a bunch of brown/grey overtones making the game look like some sort of old war torn era game.

I'm not necessarily against real time combat as I felt like FFVII Remake did a wonderful job with the combat system but I wouldn't be against turn based battle systems based FF for a mainline entry. That's why I like Persona because at least so far they haven't tried to deviate from what works. Worst case they make a spin off game for their ideas(P5 Strikers).

This looks like a freaking slasher game at times during the trailer. I'll play it but I'm not really excited for this at all. Looks like they leaned harder into the things I didn't really like about FFXV.

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
After watching the trailer, storyline wise, it seems to have the whole politics & warfare thing that XII & FFT: War of the Lions has except more emphasis on Aeons/Summons role in battles. What sells a FF game to me is the storyline, so unless they completely fukk that up, I can live with whatever battle system implement

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They can do non turn based and still keep it close to tradition

Look at the Tales series
Tales series still follows its traditions it was never not what it still is. If you picked up a Tales game and it was turn-based combat probably be like what the hell?

It's not random chance that the majority of people really haven't loved a game in this series since the last turn-based one.

The series abandoned its identity and the reception to the games has mostly been lukewarm ever since.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Okay fine. Don’t pay it then. Go play something else