Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Yeah, the evade in this game is almost OP'd with how succesful it can be with utilizing it properly. You can practically dodge anything. At least so far it seems to be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to have people having no hit runs.

I'm about halfway through and that's been my experience too. If it's turn based I get it but in an action RPG I prefer being able to evade/parry as opposed to FF7R where I get smoked and have to waste actions reviving and healing with whoever tanked the hit.

And don't let it be a game where if a character is dead they don't collect XP :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm about halfway through and that's been my experience too. If it's turn based I get it but in an action RPG I prefer being able to evade/parry as opposed to FF7R where I get smoked and have to waste actions reviving and healing with whoever tanked the hit.

And don't let it be a game where if a character is dead they don't collect XP :francis:

Thats the problem with FF7R’s combat, its stuck inbetween an action game and a turn based rpg, so they expect you to eat hits. Thats why i feel like you either gotta do one or the other to make it satisfying, either full action or go back to a gambit like system.

The most you can do to mitigate damage in FF7 is block and i almost never used it because whats the point?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are there longer combos in this game besides the basic 4 hit slash? Seems like besides the eikon abilities with garuda ain't much else. I got the limit break last night too.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Thats the problem with FF7R’s combat, its stuck inbetween an action game and a turn based rpg, so they expect you to eat hits. Thats why i feel like you either gotta do one or the other to make it satisfying, either full action or go back to a gambit like system.

The most you can do to mitigate damage in FF7 is block and i almost never used it because whats the point?
I think Cloud's parry stance or whatever was useful at times. Moreso than just block anyways.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Are there longer combos in this game besides the basic 4 hit slash? Seems like besides the eikon abilities with garuda ain't much else. I got the limit break last night too.
You gotta string together your moveset for higher combos, but there's technically an 8-hit combo as well if you tie in magic-burst in your normal attack string.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
is Clive the best looking FF main character? :dame:

Fztdy9YaAAQuTRk

Flexington

All Star
Daps

Not really - outside of what was already stated above - which was my concern going into this. After the first few bosses I was left thinking that they should've had other weapons with slight changes to the move set (for example: Heavy ax that's mostly 2 hitters but strong af or a shield that's more melee/close range but longer combos, etc).

But...after a few more bosses I will say that swapping between 3 powers gets to be a bit hectic (and trying to command torgal). Hitting L2 thinking I got phoenix shift and end up grabbing
:snoop:

Some of these powers have a bit of nuance to get the most out of them so it does help it from getting stale. Also more enemy variety (in behavior/attack patterns) would help out too but I'm still happy with what I've got through so far.