NULL
In case you're confused about what's going on in the story.:manny:
9wb4qowkpdqc1.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So is she actually alive in other timelines or is Cloud just repressing his trauma. I feel like the game wants us to believe both

Man, they basically through out the alternate timeline shyt aat this point. The end is basically exactly the same how it was in the original. bytch is dead and in the lifestream, cloud might have a stronger connection to her becuse of the timeline shenanigans.

I think the only reason they did that is to clear up the ambiguity of the end of the original

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Man, they basically through out the alternate timeline shyt aat this point. The end is basically exactly the same how it was in the original. bytch is dead and in the lifestream, cloud might have a stronger connection to her becuse of the timeline shenanigans.

I think the only reason they did that is to clear up the ambiguity of the end of the original
So essentially the Zack storyline was completely useless?

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H

I don’t think it’s that simple. Even the Rebirth/Remake Aerith lives in one timeline that was created when Cloud parried Sephiroths kill shot. Where she actually wakes up. There’s 3 Aeriths now. One from Remake who dies. One who lives. And the original from the OG 97 FF7 that returned to the livestream.
I think it’s fair speculation to say that the third game will be called “Reunite” or something and Aerith will return. We’ll see. I doubt they’ll throw all of the whisper/timeline stuff out.

Zack’s story shows that worlds do indeed connect or unite. It was a longwinded fanservicey way to portray that fact, but nonetheless that was what his point was to the story

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Nanaki also senses Aerith, so it's not all in Cloud's head.

Sephiroth thrives off pain and agony and is using as much of it as he can to unite the timelines, I think Aerith is taking advantage of Clouds fractured Jenova/lifestream-mind to make sure he doesn't go all the way off the deep end after her death.

I think we'll see her death and burial when we go into Cloud's mind with Tifa.

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
The ending is eerie as fukk because even though Cloud is legitimately seeing Aerith, going by Nanaki sensing her, everyone else is looking at each other like :wtf:. Especially considering she just died and he seems unfazed, meanwhile Tifa is reasonably heartbroken and grieving.

What I love about Rebirth is that they've really leaned into how bad Cloud's mental state progressively gets. Which is clear when you've played the OG, but here, they make sure to showcase it in the right ways. When he was with Tifa and his speech patterns switched up outta nowhere and started talking like Sephiroth, it's unsettling because you catch it right away, and so does Tifa. Then later on, he loses control and slashes at her. And the only saving grace Cloud has in that incident is that nobody else saw him do it, and Tifa isn't going to say anything to the rest of the party (except for maybe Aerith) for obvious reasons.

So with Aerith being dead in their timeline, but apparently alive somewhere else, that's absolutely going to mess with Cloud's mind even further because he already acknowledges that his memories don't line up. He's seeing the sky of a dying world. He's so sure that he saved Aerith in that moment. And on top of that, he seemingly has the black materia. Cloud's in the worst position he's been in, and I think they're doing this so when Tifa helps him sort through his subconscious, it all hits harder. We might see Aerith dying exactly like how it was in the OG and him finally coming to grips with it and grieving.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not finished yet, but just came in here to say,

..I still fukking hate all the new/added story elements, it’s dumb and overly convolutes an already amazing story that nobody would of minded being a 1:1 remake