Better Franchise?

• James Bond

• The Matrix

Results are only viewable after voting.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
But Matrix is really TRON 2.1, replacing Flynn with Neo and I'd guess Tron is part Morpheus.

Sure i can agree with that, its a little bit Tron a little bit The 13th Floor and even a little bit of Dark City,Terminator and other things but still. Its still a far far more original concept and a far more interesting concept than the old cut and dry good guys vs bad guys, govt secret agent vs crazy psycho villain plot line bond movies keep churning out. A lot of times we dont even get backstory on the villain. They are just villains when we meet them and we're meant to accept that.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Sure i can agree with that, its a little bit Tron a little bit The 13th Floor and even a little bit of Dark City,Terminator and other things but still. Its still a far far more original concept and a far more interesting concept than the old cut and dry good guys vs bad guys, govt secret agent vs crazy psycho villain plot line bond movies keep churning out. A lot of times we dont even get backstory on the villain. They are just villains when we meet them and we're meant to accept that.

Bond did break the mold on action heroes and action movies, and not just for British film.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Bond did break the mold on action heroes and action movies, and not just for British film.

It did....... and Im sure my Dad was blown away in the 80s but when it comes to breaking the mold for action movies, there can only be 1.....

The Matrix
Released: June, 1999
What it changed: Special effects. Very few moments in film can leave the audiences collective jaws on the floor but that's what the Wachowskis did in their stunning actioner.

Comic-books, kung-fu films, dystopian sci-fi, Eastern philosophy, groundbreaking effects and a rage against the machine attitude all perfectly merged in a film that not only revolutionised action films but films themselves.

This scene still incites a collective Keanu Reeves-esque 'Woah! whenever I see it.

Its impact: Any film that has since used super slo-mo for dramatic effect or seriously amped up its kung-fu credentials owes a debt to The Matrix. Inception, Wanted, Watchmen, X-Men : Days of Future Past, Kick-Ass and even Kill Bill spring to mind.

13 game-changing films that broke the mould in Hollywood | JOE.ie

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It did....... and Im sure my Dad was blown away in the 80s but when it comes to breaking the mold for action movies, there can only be 1.....

The Matrix
Released: June, 1999
What it changed: Special effects. Very few moments in film can leave the audiences collective jaws on the floor but that's what the Wachowskis did in their stunning actioner.

Comic-books, kung-fu films, dystopian sci-fi, Eastern philosophy, groundbreaking effects and a rage against the machine attitude all perfectly merged in a film that not only revolutionised action films but films themselves.

This scene still incites a collective Keanu Reeves-esque 'Woah! whenever I see it.

Its impact: Any film that has since used super slo-mo for dramatic effect or seriously amped up its kung-fu credentials owes a debt to The Matrix. Inception, Wanted, Watchmen, X-Men : Days of Future Past, Kick-Ass and even Kill Bill spring to mind.

13 game-changing films that broke the mould in Hollywood | JOE.ie

Impact of Bond has been greater over time.

The action hero as a rogue who has no problem killing in cold blood
The locations
The gadgets
The cars
The anti hero mold all started there and the anti hero has been a thing for almost 60 years now. Every action flick has a femme fatale and the one man who can go in and handle the problem. Also the sardonic sense of humor and quips? Yeah those still happen today and will always continue. That started with Bond

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Impact of Bond has been greater over time.

The action hero as a rogue who has no problem killing in cold blood
The locations
The gadgets
The cars
The anti hero mold all started there and the anti hero has been a thing for almost 60 years now. Every action flick has a femme fatale and the one man who can go in and handle the problem. Also the sardonic sense of humor and quips? Yeah those still happen today and will always continue. That started with Bond

Bond has 20 years on The Matrix. With a 20 year head start Bond is always going to have like a grandfather status compared to almost all the action spy type movies that came after in the form of being the pioneer of all the things that made it a successful franchise. For sure it engrained the one liner as a staple part of being a bad ass character in future movies.......I get that........ But the short term impact The Matrix on the whole action genre was greater than any Bond movie released in my lifetime. I also like how The Matrix pivots away from some of those trademark bond type staples too. .....Im not giving bond the credit for pioneering the hero/anti hero/tough guy role though. No way. Im sure movies had popular characters just like that prior..... Like mabe James dean rebel without a cause types......... or even look at this, Hitchcock was doing all that slick spy debonair shyt pre bond:

Alfred Hitchcock at his most hard-boiled, this Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman double bill about the daughter of a Nazi war criminal recruited to infiltrate a ring of Nazis in Brazil became famous for the scene in which Hitchcock slipped around Hollywood's ban on kissing scenes over three seconds (by having the actors break the kiss every few seconds before continuing). However, it's Grant's wardrobe that we're most interested in, particularly his flawless dinner jacket, preceding a certain spy with a penchant for bow ties and tuxedos by almost twenty years.

The locations, gadgets,cars and the girls...its dope....its bond....he pioneered that shyt true...... but its not deep to me to be lauded over the Matrix at all. Its just superficial gloss and lacks substance. Like yeah the Aston Martin, Yeah he's in Egypt now but so what though? They had dope locales and cars in the last bond movie too, the same trick cant wow me 2wice.......idk. im done. I voted the Matrix......I see we aint doing to well in the vote though.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bond has 20 years on The Matrix. With a 20 year head start Bond is always going to have like a grandfather status compared to almost all the action spy type movies that came after in the form of being the pioneer of all the things that made it a successful franchise. For sure it engrained the one liner as a staple part of being a bad ass character in future movies.......I get that........ But the short term impact The Matrix on the whole action genre was greater than any Bond movie released in my lifetime. I also like how The Matrix pivots away from some of those trademark bond type staples too. .....Im not giving bond the credit for pioneering the hero/anti hero/tough guy role though. No way. Im sure movies had popular characters just like that prior..... Like mabe James dean rebel without a cause types......... or even look at this, Hitchcock was doing all that slick spy debonair shyt pre bond:

Alfred Hitchcock at his most hard-boiled, this Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman double bill about the daughter of a Nazi war criminal recruited to infiltrate a ring of Nazis in Brazil became famous for the scene in which Hitchcock slipped around Hollywood's ban on kissing scenes over three seconds (by having the actors break the kiss every few seconds before continuing). However, it's Grant's wardrobe that we're most interested in, particularly his flawless dinner jacket, preceding a certain spy with a penchant for bow ties and tuxedos by almost twenty years.

The locations, gadgets,cars and the girls...its dope....its bond....he pioneered that shyt true...... but its not deep to me to be lauded over the Matrix at all. Its just superficial gloss and lacks substance. Like yeah the Aston Martin, Yeah he's in Egypt now but so what though? They had dope locales and cars in the last bond movie too, the same trick cant wow me 2wice.......idk. im done. I voted the Matrix......I see we aint doing to well in the vote though.

Not doing well cause it’s 60 years and 20 some odd movies that have impacted every facet of cinema including how movies are made and produced vs 3 movies that even everyone here acknowledges one is dope and the other two are take it or leave it

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Not doing well cause it’s 60 years and 20 some odd movies that have impacted every facet of cinema including how movies are made and produced vs 3 movies that even everyone here acknowledges one is dope and the other two are take it or leave it

Yikes. being 33 I was not really here to appreciate all of that sadly. Its something Ive viewed from the future looking back to gauge the full impact of and cant be like for like compared with the Matrix, something I saw coming in real time ,but since the question was asked, everyone answering must try as best they can to find an equal landscape to try and judge the two on,when I do that the bond Franchise falls short. Its just not deep enough or thought provoking enough regarding the subject matter, and certainly action scene wise its nowhere near the matrix.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yikes. being 33 I was not really here to appreciate all of that sadly. Its something Ive viewed from the future looking back to gauge the full impact of and cant be like for like compared with the Matrix, something I saw coming in real time ,but since the question was asked, everyone answering must try as best they can to find an equal landscape to try and judge the two on,when I do that the bond Franchise falls short. Its just not deep enough or thought provoking enough regarding the subject matter, and certainly action scene wise its nowhere near the matrix.

I’m 32 and can view it with that lens tho but I’m a fan of history so I always go back when I love stuff. So I’ve seen every Bond documentary watched every special feature and seen every movie and have every mainline Ian Fleming book. So I can look at action flicks before Bond and action flicks after Bond while also appreciating the character and the few times where it has commented on the world or Bonds place in it or Britain’s place in it.

You’re right that Bond doesn’t ask those philosophical questions or pose the same thoughts about humanity and who we are and our place in the world. 110% right. But I don’t feel like that makes it the inferior franchise because it’s aim is completely different. Mario isn’t a lesser franchise than grand theft auto because it lacks satire; they’re doing different things and it’s about how well each accomplishes what it set out to do. Same with rap. Redman is never going to be as deep as Nas but that doesn’t automatically make Reggie the inferior MC.
:manny:

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I’m 32 and can view it with that lens tho but I’m a fan of history so I always go back when I love stuff. So I’ve seen every Bond documentary watched every special feature and seen every movie and have every mainline Ian Fleming book. So I can look at action flicks before Bond and action flicks after Bond while also appreciating the character and the few times where it has commented on the world or Bonds place in it or Britain’s place in it.

You’re right that Bond doesn’t ask those philosophical questions or pose the same thoughts about humanity and who we are and our place in the world. 110% right. But I don’t feel like that makes it the inferior franchise because it’s aim is completely different. Mario isn’t a lesser franchise than grand theft auto because it lacks satire; they’re doing different things and it’s about how well each accomplishes what it set out to do. Same with rap. Redman is never going to be as deep as Nas but that doesn’t automatically make Reggie the inferior MC.
:manny:

No doubt. I see. Ok. I got you. Redman is just as dope as Nas because he makes certain rhymes NO OTHER MC can......

Ok. It certainly does not make it an inferior franchise because of that, its just my decision. it just means that that is the criteria that I in particular am deciding to use to define what ''better'' is inthis case......the question being whether one brand is ''better'' than the other, with ''better'' being such an open ended word that i have to, everyone answering has to come up with a way to define ''better'' before answering. My way apparently was to just take a breath and think about what impact said brands had on me as a person.

So it isnt any kind of outward objective reasoning or analytical breakdowns based on anything other than me, its just amounts to time really. After a Bond movie i might spend an hour reading about it. After The Matrix....... I learnt how to write software. So yeah, its impact on me was just huge i guess.

I should add that it often(85% of the time) is my all time favorite movie.....so very biased.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
This scene in "You Only Live Twice" pretty much ignited the whole "Western Ninja Movie" boom

So "The Matrix" ITSELF wouldn't exist without Bond's influence

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This scene in "You Only Live Twice" pretty much ignited the whole "Western Ninja Movie" boom

So "The Matrix" ITSELF wouldn't exist without Bond's influence

I wanted to say “but what about enter the dragon?” But this was before enter the dragon. And even enter the dragon is a kung fu flick in the style of a James Bond movie

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I wanted to say “but what about enter the dragon?” But this was before enter the dragon. And even enter the dragon is a kung fu flick in the style of a James Bond movie

According to this article
https://io9.gizmodo.com/5982187/why-americans-became-obsessed-with-ninjas

The Oxford English Dictionary, which tracks the emergence of new slang into English, suggests that one of the first western uses of the word "ninja" was in Ian Fleming's 1964 James Bond novel You Only Live Twice.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
The first Matrix was a film that meant something, had something to say about our society, the nature of reality, and philosophy. A live action anime noir.

James Bond series is meaningless schlock. Ass, t*ts, and secret agents. They are all the same. The Bourne series is better

Series for series it's Bond, just because Matrix 2 and 3 were so bad. However, no Bond movie compares to the first Matrix