Votes: 13 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
While I voted yes, we probably should have had everyone pick their 20-30 GOAT movies and whatever the top 20-30 vote getters were would be the first class "inducted" thus setting a benchmark from which to judge any and all nominees thereafter. In its own way, this accomplishes that anyway as, if The Warrriors makes it, then it's a case of judging every movie to its standard:manny:

I like that idea. But you think everyone would be able and willing and would do that? Cause I’d be down in a heartbeat

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I like that idea. But you think everyone would be able and willing and would do that? Cause I’d be down in a heartbeat
I think if you made it an un-numbered list and inclusion alone counted for a point, it would make it easier. There's also the confusion of what exactly being in the "GOAT Gallery" means. Is it a list of favorites or an unbiased (as unrealistic as that term may be) list of what we feel should stand as the pinnacle of filmmaking regardless of our personal opinions of the movies? I'd say go with a first class of 10, but I think that would create an unrealistically high cutoff level in a lot of people's minds going forward as to whether a movie deserves inclusion down the road. 20-30 would get a nice diverse collection of movies in while still maintaining quality.

All that said, I think The Warriors is a very interesting first inductee and would lead to a lot of debates when other movies get nominated, so part of me says just leave it as is:skip:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think if you made it an un-numbered list and inclusion alone counted for a point, it would make it easier. There's also the confusion of what exactly being in the "GOAT Gallery" means. Is it a list of favorites or an unbiased (as unrealistic as that term may be) list of what we feel should stand as the pinnacle of filmmaking regardless of our personal opinions of the movies? I'd say go with a first class of 10, but I think that would create an unrealistically high cutoff level in a lot of people's minds going forward as to whether a movie deserves inclusion down the road. 20-30 would get a nice diverse collection of movies in while still maintaining quality.

All that said, I think The Warriors is a very interesting first inductee and would lead to a lot of debates when other movies get nominated, so part of me says just leave it as is:skip:

Your last point is exactly why I picked it first :youngsabo:

I didn’t want something that was an easy yes or an easy no. I wanted something that might throw people for a loop, spark discussion, and then set the table going forward. Starting with a prestige flick is too easy and too simple and mad boring. I actually expected more dissension on this one

But I also wanted to express that in my belief, a canon of films doesn’t have to have one type of flick represented. There are great flicks like this that should be recognized. Would I rank it as high as The Godfather? Hell no. But that doesn’t mean it’s not great. It’s the same analogy I used about get rich or die tryin. I wouldn’t think of saying it’s on the same level as illmatic or death certificate but that doesn’t mean it’s not classic, even if I don’t fukk with it. Objectively I gotta give it its props for what it does right and its impact rather than focus on what it does wrong

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
For those that want to watch for the first time, make sure you watch the Theatrical and not the DC.