FFVll Fans: Was Barrett c00ning?

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
:snoop: People keep sh'tting on the Japs in this thread when it was the English TRANSLATORS you should be :mjpls: ing at because in the Jap version Barret is NOTHING like he is in our version. He basically is Kratos in the Jap version, very stoic and assertive in tone. They fucced up the translation for us. If i was a jap fan of the game i'd be furious because to them in this remake Barret would be completely different to them.
This

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
Barrett is kind of a stereotype in the first game, but he's still pretty endearing, has a great story arc, and was one of the few black characters you could find in any game back then so it was easy to give the character a pass. Still though I wish they updated his dialogue for the remake; It's alright to have Barrett use slang still, but put a black man on staff to help with the writing so Barrett comes off less stilted when he talks.
Cacs did this Japanese voice actor for Barret is million times better

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Cid prolly won't be as hard on hoes as he was in the 90's but people in here giving excuse for Barrett not being updated though.
They already admitted they changed the cloud tranny scenes to show more respect to the LGBT community. PC as fukk in Japan except for when it comes to black folk.

LGBT? hUH?

I just read some shyt with cats thinking there was sexual tension between Cloud and Sephiroth????? :what:

Mufukkaz talking about toxic masculinity and sexual identity and shyt. :snoop:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
All responses to old posts, but still quality quotes nonetheless. :wow:

This disrespect.

He was a real nikka who I never used.

:dead:

The future King of The Pirates is still on his bullshyt, I see. :wow:

Barrett doesn't even get half the credit he deserves. This guy put EVERYTHING on the line, single handily started and lead a revolution and gave the most dangerous organization on the planet that work. He also woke up everyone around him. He wasn't just "trying to be father" a white girl. He was father to everyone around him. People didn't rally around cloud. They rallied around Barrett, who would have outbursts from time to time because no one around him cared as much as he did.

Right. If anything, he was the most woke out of everyone. People thought he was some crazy madman with a gun, but he knew what he was talking about. He was right about everything. The Shinra Corporation is known for doing some of the most underhanded, disgusting and self-serving actions in that world, and they knew what the price was for bleeding the Planet dry. But they didn't give a fukk. Certainly not President Shinra. Reeve did, but they laughed that nikka out of the building.

They dropped a gotdamn sector plate just to take out a couple of terrorists... Sacrificing millions of lives with not a single shred of remorse. So when Barret is like, "We need to stop the Shinra before it's too late!", he's right. Unfortunately his way was most likely the only way things were going to change. Doing things politically? Not happening, Shinra has a monopoly over everything. Peaceful protest? They'd just kill the protesters and cover it up. Spreading the word via soap box? Barret most likely tried, but ended up looking about as crazy as those "End is Near" folks with the picket fences.

In many ways, Barret is the hero of the world. Cloud's the one that killed Sephiroth and handled the Jenova stuff, but imagine what would've happened if AVALANCHE wasn't a thing. Going off Crisis Core, Cloud couldn't have been on the run for long, Shinra troops would eventually find him (even in OG FF7, he was only left alive because the infantry soldiers thought he was as good as dead). People gotta put WAY more respect on Barret's name.

If you noticed Sazh wasn't anything like that, in fact he was arguably the deepest character in FF13. I'm more inclined to believe that narrative, and many of the black main characters that I've seen in Japanese stories were not the American stereotype.

Exactly. While everyone else was all, "Let's go complete our Focus y'all!", Sazh was like...
giphy.gif

If it wasn't for Sazh, most of those characters would've ended up dead or something, because Lightning didn't give much of a damn about anyone except for Serah for most of the game (she warmed up to Hope though), Snow spoke with his chest but barely put in action until he realized this, Vanille is the sweet girl that's responsible for a lot of this shyt, double for Fang, and Hope is a 14 year old who just lost his mom right in front of him (so you can't even blame him for why he's like that)... Sazh was a regular guy who went above and beyond in order to make sure his son was safe. He was the smartest one in that party, had the most insight, and he was also the most human.

His whole mood in the game is: Why do I gotta be the one to deal with all this shyt? :why:But he loved his son to the ends of the earth, and the whole reason he even had the chocobo in his hair is because it's his son's chocobo chick.

In fact, overall? Sazh might be my favorite FF character of all time if we're not talking just protagonists.

Last edited:

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
It was definitely over the top but he still was a great character once you got past it.

It would be different if everyone from his hometown no matter what their race talked like that.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
its been over 15 yrs since I played that game and I wasn't thinking about that stuff back then. some cat on neogaf claimed barrett was a bad black stereotype. was he c00ning it up in that game?
Barret started a revolution

He's clearly about that life.

Whereas coli cats call out c00ning proclaiming Omega levels of blackness then go to work and put on a customer service voice :wow:

Last edited:

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
All responses to old posts, but still quality quotes nonetheless. :wow:

:dead:

The future King of The Pirates is still on his bullshyt, I see. :wow:

Right. If anything, he was the most woke out of everyone. People thought he was some crazy madman with a gun, but he knew what he was talking about. He was right about everything. The Shinra Corporation is known for doing some of the most underhanded, disgusting and self-serving actions in that world, and they knew what the price was for bleeding the Planet dry. But they didn't give a fukk. Certainly not President Shinra. Reeve did, but they laughed that nikka out of the building.

They dropped a gotdamn sector plate just to take out a couple of terrorists... Sacrificing millions of lives with not a single shred of remorse. So when Barret is like, "We need to stop the Shinra before it's too late!", he's right. Unfortunately his way was most likely the only way things were going to change. Doing things politically? Not happening, Shinra has a monopoly over everything. Peaceful protest? They'd just kill the protesters and cover it up. Spreading the word via soap box? Barret most likely tried, but ended up looking about as crazy as those "End is Near" folks with the picket fences.

In many ways, Barret is the hero of the world. Cloud's the one that killed Sephiroth and handled the Jenova stuff, but imagine what would've happened if AVALANCHE wasn't a thing. Going off Crisis Core, Cloud couldn't have been on the run for long, Shinra troops would eventually find him (even in OG FF7, he was only left alive because the infantry soldiers thought he was as good as dead). People gotta put WAY more respect on Barret's name.

Exactly. While everyone else was all, "Let's go complete our Focus y'all!", Sazh was like...
giphy.gif

If it wasn't for Sazh, most of those characters would've ended up dead or something, because Lightning didn't give much of a damn about anyone except for Serah for most of the game (she warmed up to Hope though), Snow spoke with his chest but barely put in action until he realized this, Vanille is the sweet girl that's responsible for a lot of this shyt, double for Fang, and Hope is a 14 year old who just lost his mom right in front of him (so you can't even blame him for why he's like that)... Sazh was a regular guy who went above and beyond in order to make sure his son was safe. He was the smartest one in that party, had the most insight, and he was also the most human.

His whole mood in the game is: Why do I gotta be the one to deal with all this shyt? :why:But he loved his son to the ends of the earth, and the whole reason he even had the chocobo in his hair is because it's his son's chocobo chick.

In fact, overall? Sazh might be my favorite FF character of all time if we're not talking just protagonists.
Underrated character

Final fantasy be having goat black characters and this analysis is fukking on point b

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
LGBT? hUH?

I just read some shyt with cats thinking there was sexual tension between Cloud and Sephiroth????? :what:

Mufukkaz talking about toxic masculinity and sexual identity and shyt. :snoop:
No they wont
What sexual tension would you have with a man you threw off a cliff after your cut him 9999 sneak damage cuz he slumped tifa.

They are so mentally ill they have to try to infect kids games now?

Last edited:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He’s very funny in the remake demo.

“Thought you were the expert” :mjlol:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I'm sorry but you are a fukking bigot.
Why you gotta call a little girl by that deragotary term you fukkING PIECE OF shyt
AND IF YOU ACTUALLY KNEW THE STORY YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND WHY HE WAS RAISING HER IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU fukkING IGNORANT SEXIST BIGOT PIECE OF shyt I'LL BEAT YOUR FACE PC BLACK AND BLUE YOU fukkING PUNK
WHATS UP DUDE?
WHAT THE fukk IS UP YOU fukkING IDIOT

Ayo this nikka snapped :laff:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Barrett doesn't even get half the credit he deserves. This guy put EVERYTHING on the line, single handily started and lead a revolution and gave the most dangerous organization on the planet that work. He also woke up everyone around him. He wasn't just "trying to be father" a white girl. He was father to everyone around him. People didn't rally around cloud. They rallied around Barrett, who would have outbursts from time to time because no one around him cared as much as he did.

:leon: This I understand and if it wasn't for barrett Shinra would have destroyed the planet and lost to sepiroth... Barrett was the spark they needed...