FFVll Fans: Was Barrett c00ning?

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
His voice actor sounds like he doing a Mr T impression. So the execution of the character is very dated and stereotypical, but his overall Character arc is good. He ain't c00ning, they just needed a better voice actor i think. John Eric Bentley is kinda trash, should've gotten phil lamar.
i agree but he was a 1997 character so maybe they whr trying too hard to make him oldschool

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i agree but he was a 1997 character so maybe they whr trying too hard to make him oldschool
The wasn't any voice to the character back in 97. it was text only. that excuse doesn't work at all.

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
The wasn't any voice to the character back in 97. it was text only. that excuse doesn't work at all.
naw i mean now
think about some nerd asians saying whats is a old school dad like black man thats not soft. It was either Shaft or Mr T. to these rice motherfukkers. we need more Black male archetypes

but he is no c00n fukk anyone who says that

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
this. but he did speak ebonics.

Again, that just shows how they should have had someone black on staff to help. The images we have projected of us in the media that is shared worldwide directly led to the way the Japs wrote the character and what they think of the way black people talk/act. That being said, they did him justice though even if he was based on an ebonic stereotyped version of nikkaz. :yeshrug:
To be honest I don’t have a problem with the Ebonics, cause it made sense for the story. Dude was from the slums. His dialect actually served to endear him as a character as opposed to just making him look out of place and stupid. Sure some of the writing/translations are cringy, but that goes for all the characters.

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
Was it better than Catastrophe, he last limit :patrice:

Definitely not messing with Cid this go around when we get to pt2. Will either keep Tifa or just use Vincent.

Ungarmax(Barret's second level 3 limit) & Omnislash are the strongest technically.

I'm interested to see how they handle Cid and his interactions with Shera.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Ungarmax(Barret's second level 3 limit) & Omnislash are the strongest technically.

I'm interested to see how they handle Cid and his interactions with Shera.
Cid prolly won't be as hard on hoes as he was in the 90's but people in here giving excuse for Barrett not being updated though.
They already admitted they changed the cloud tranny scenes to show more respect to the LGBT community. PC as fukk in Japan except for when it comes to black folk.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was it better than Catastrophe, he last limit :patrice:

Definitely not messing with Cid this go around when we get to pt2. Will either keep Tifa or just use Vincent.
Ungarmax is only second to Omnislash...and not by much.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:snoop: People keep sh'tting on the Japs in this thread when it was the English TRANSLATORS you should be :mjpls: ing at because in the Jap version Barret is NOTHING like he is in our version. He basically is Kratos in the Jap version, very stoic and assertive in tone. They fucced up the translation for us. If i was a jap fan of the game i'd be furious because to them in this remake Barret would be completely different to them.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Barrett is kind of a stereotype in the first game, but he's still pretty endearing, has a great story arc, and was one of the few black characters you could find in any game back then so it was easy to give the character a pass. Still though I wish they updated his dialogue for the remake; It's alright to have Barrett use slang still, but put a black man on staff to help with the writing so Barrett comes off less stilted when he talks.