FD finally dropped the Drake vs Dot video :wow:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Watched it yesterday. a few thoughts of mine in response to FDs:

Drake isnt of the hip hip culture.
Nah. Gotta disagree. Drake originally was a coli breh (i.e hip hop message board poster) who respected and listened to all the hits but his love for rap centered around Hov, Wayne, and the more backpack shyt like Pharrell, Ye, and even LIttle Brother. IN fact he clearly positioned himself to be a more commercially successful version of 808s era Ye and Phonte...I dont think you can be aware of a niche like that if you werent a student of the game.
He didn't say Drake isn't of the culture. He said old heads claim Drake isn't of the culture and how thats a wrong take because its too simple. FD flat out says Drake is a product of modern Hip-Hop. You're saying the pretty much the same thing he's saying.

He literally says Drake started off as a lyrical miracle nerd who was all about bars and stanned 90s gangsta rap. That changed when them nikkas didn't fukk with him so Drake switch up into a singing nikka. Ye bodying 50 in sales killed gangsta rap, making a new lane for singing ass nikkas like Drake. <<<< FD said all of this.

FD all but said because Hip-Hop is a reflection of its fans, Drake is modern Hip-Hop. Mostly white, trend hopping, cynical, meme pumping and appealing to the masses.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
He didn't say Drake isn't of the culture. He said old heads claim Drake isn't of the culture and how thats a wrong take because its too simple. FD flat out says Drake is a product of modern Hip-Hop. You're saying the pretty much the same thing he's saying.

He literally says Drake started off as a lyrical miracle nerd who was all about bars and stanned 90s gangsta rap. That changed when them nikkas didn't fukk with him so Drake switch up into a singing nikka. Ye bodying 50 in sales killed gangsta rap, making a new lane for singing ass nikkas like Drake. <<<< FD said all of this.

FD all but said because Hip-Hop is a reflection of its fans, Drake is modern Hip-Hop. Mostly white, trend hopping, cynical, meme pumping and appealing to the masses.
You’re making the mistake of adopting FD’s argument. FD’s argument itself is flawed. You don’t have to do this.

Gangstar8

Superstar
Daps
Meltdown finished pusha T
Family matters for Kenny

In short the boy is undefeated

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
3 hour video, can be summed up as
UAZGQp7.png

Last edited:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way

Bro he literally says that at three hours and eight minutes that Drake was never a student of hip hop or lover of it , he was just good at it. which is wrong to me. I think Drake does love hip-hop he just loves “winning” more.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
And there you again showing YOUR shaky grasp of the culture...Akademiks was a literal radio DJ, as in disc jockey, as in a host and personality - not a record-spinning, hip-hop DJ.
Ak used to dj in college. Before he got as big as he is now a girl came out talking about how she booked him for a party or something. Was post "chiraq" ak but around the time he first started EDS and making noise.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I enjoyed the video, he made a lot of valid points, yeah there are shaky elements but it's nowhere near as bad as it has been made out. FD has made statements in the past that deserve to be called out but it's clear some of you have a resentment towards him that clouds your judgement

Last edited:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breh this is revisionist history. 2015 wasn't that long ago to be saying this with a straight face

I remember Kendrick getting ChucK D comparisons literally within days of the album coming out, i specifically remember Bomani Jones being one of those people as he commented on how furiously black the album was

The Blacker The Berry was the first single breh what are we talking about:mjlol: "i" was released to blogs right before the album came out

TPAB wasn't as misinterpreted like you're presenting. The album is pretty explicit about what it's about. What happened is Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out are tied at the hip to defining elements of the black experience. I don't see the purpose in trying to make a separation to prove a point that's not even true

Man these weirdo's keep trying to rewrite history to fit their flawed arguments, I'm just waiting for a thread about how GRODT didn't have an impact on release :mjlol:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Man these weirdo's keep trying to rewrite history to fit their flawed arguments, I'm just waiting for a thread about how GRODT didn't have an impact on release :mjlol:
You just weren't outside like that. GRODT was praised critically but outside nobody was really rocking with it like that. This is some internet nerd shyt. I talk to people in real life. In real life, nobody was really feeling GRODT. :troll:

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
You’re making the mistake of adopting FD’s argument. FD’s argument itself is flawed. You don’t have to do this.
It's not a mistake. I been hating Aubrey since 09. The old head nerd, who's stuck in the 90s, FD is talking about is me.

And many of the same reasons I hate Aubrey is why I hated Kanye's music around that time. Everything we haters convince Aubrey of, Kanye started. The only difference is Ye didn't just want to be a rapping as nikka. Aubrey wanted to be a nikka since he was a boy.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be fair, Interscope didn't tell him anything. He has a lot of control there, as demonstrated by him recording on tape for TPAB (expensive) and then doing it again on DAMN. Interscope is a smart enough label to value catalog and classics. The success of that album isn't on the level of GKMC or DAMN commercially yet is as valuable when you consider it's always going to be selling on vinyl, the album will be talked about for decades, and it increases their value as a serious music label releasing serious albums.

My point was simply that at one point there were real conversations/debates on whether Kendrick dropped the ball commercially in comparison to Drake (and Cole), whether he was actual competition to Drake, and how the rap world viewed him. This is a stark difference from the narrative people on the Coli and Twitter paint which suggests Kendrick was always a massive media darling who never got bad press. Ultimately in hindsight I think it's clear Kendrick made the right decision though. He made a masterpiece that put him in different conversations, got him different fans, heavily influenced music and made an army of elite musicians want to work with him. Even Mr. Morale, which I'm not a fan of overall, is a testament to that when you listen to the musicianship (and read the credits). I'd argue nobody in mainstream rap is doing that, and the reason he's able to do it is because of TPAB.

I agree that people misinterpreted TPAB despite everyone involved in it constantly telling the world what it was actually about. Yes it explores "blackness" but it's largely an album about Kendrick's personal struggles with fame, survivor's remorse, and his environment/city. Going back to Interscope, I'd bet money that Jimmy Iovine and the other old rock heads at the label heard the album and thought it was more The Wall or Quadrophenia than Fear Of A Black Planet.

Agreed on the bolded. I think this is a case of people taking their own thoughts and experiences bothbfron listening to the album, and events that are tied to songs from the album, and associating them so closely as to make blackness the overall theme, when I don't think it actual is.

When I listened to it the first time, and on subsequent listens when taking into account the loose meta narrative he's had going over his albums, it definitely came off to me more as being about survivor's remorse, coping with the responsibility of fame/notoriety, and not really knowing what comes next after making it through something traumatic.

But in fairness, that's what art left to interpretation does. It gets interpreted differently by other people.

All that said, I'm not watching this fukking video. I like FD, and think that he's a smart person with content that people should engage with, even if they don't agree with what he's saying at times. But making a three and a half hour video that, by what I'm gathering, is basically "I'm not really a fan of Drake, and here's why" is some weird shyt.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Bro he literally says that at three hours and eight minutes that Drake was never a student of hip hop or lover of it , he was just good at it. which is wrong to me. I think Drake does love hip-hop he just loves “winning” more.
Loving something doesn't make you of it