FD finally dropped the Drake vs Dot video :wow:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Watched it yesterday. a few thoughts of mine in response to FDs:

Drake isnt of the hip hip culture.
Nah. Gotta disagree. Drake originally was a coli breh (i.e hip hop message board poster) who respected and listened to all the hits but his love for rap centered around Hov, Wayne, and the more backpack shyt like Pharrell, Ye, and even LIttle Brother. IN fact he clearly positioned himself to be a more commercially successful version of 808s era Ye and Phonte...I dont think you can be aware of a niche like that if you werent a student of the game.

Drakes central problem is, he isnt capable of making art that isnt meant to be as commercially viable as possible. He doesnt take risks. Hes the natural evolution of Jay-Z but even HOV has made projects out of a sense of love and passion (AG, TBA, 444). THis isnt completely crazy when you consider that our culture has spent 30 years telling people that if you dont make money, you aint shyt and FD is right about one thing, Drake is eternally the awkward kid who is still seeking validation and praise of the Cool Kids and Women who didnt accept him.

However, FD saying things like "Drake didnt call Kendrick a hotep so he doesnt know the culture :krs: " is so obtuse and picky for pickys sake.

Implying that Kendrick was *the guy* that stole Drakes crown around 2014 and how it ties into their beef

For sure GKMC hit hard and fore sure will go down as the more memorable album. For sure, Drake has now explicitly said that he feels Dot gets unnecessary accolades for being artsy fartsy. But circa 2012-2014, I think Drake was solidified as on his way to GOAT tier and really didnt see Kendrick as a threat. Drake at this point was outselling everyone and Drake is a cynic who sees sales and money as validity. In fact I think he was happy for Kendrick to see GKMC sell like it did. Hell drake was on the album.

Drakes issues with "Control" arent the product of jealousy. Drake had a problem with it because like i said, hes a cynic. He cant fathom the idea of doing things for competition or art. Up until that point, bringing up his name had been a ploy for lesser rappers to get attention (i.e. Common). His reaction also revealed that Drake also sees his stimulus packages as a way for him to flatten out the competition and have "ownership" over the artists he helps out. He clearly saw Control as a betrayal, as biting the hand that fed Dot.

Drakes arrogance and insecurity wouldnt let him see the Control verse for what it was, a challenge and nothing more. If drake doesnt act like a completely bytch about it, history is completely changed.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Came in to see yes to some of this. The narrative of TPAB being this instantly revolutionary album is pure lies. The album lowkey flopped. I remember Kendrick tweeting IRT responding to the Soundscan numbers and sounding a little disappointed, even tried to rally support for the album in Los Angeles. TPAB has now garnered that label but it wasnt a out of the gate classic.

Additonally, youre exactly right in that DAMN. saved Kendricks commercial career. Clear as day that Interscope/TDE told him to reign in the experimentation and make a more commercially viable album.

And dont even get me started on how TPAB has retroactively been hailed as some album about blackness when damn near the entire album is about Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out .
TPAB was critically hailed as a classic but the real life reaction didn't match it and this was an argument I was having in real time. When Kendrick posted that disappointment in his sales in LA it just furthered my point and that's around the time the bots joined the site and started peddling it being the greatest album in music history.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Came in to see yes to some of this. The narrative of TPAB being this instantly revolutionary album is pure lies. The album lowkey flopped. I remember Kendrick tweeting IRT responding to the Soundscan numbers and sounding a little disappointed, even tried to rally support for the album in Los Angeles. TPAB has now garnered that label but it wasnt a out of the gate classic.

Additonally, youre exactly right in that DAMN. saved Kendricks commercial career. Clear as day that Interscope/TDE told him to reign in the experimentation and make a more commercially viable album.

And dont even get me started on how TPAB has retroactively been hailed as some album about blackness when damn near the entire album is about Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out .

To be fair, Interscope didn't tell him anything. He has a lot of control there, as demonstrated by him recording on tape for TPAB (expensive) and then doing it again on DAMN. Interscope is a smart enough label to value catalog and classics. The success of that album isn't on the level of GKMC or DAMN commercially yet is as valuable when you consider it's always going to be selling on vinyl, the album will be talked about for decades, and it increases their value as a serious music label releasing serious albums.

My point was simply that at one point there were real conversations/debates on whether Kendrick dropped the ball commercially in comparison to Drake (and Cole), whether he was actual competition to Drake, and how the rap world viewed him. This is a stark difference from the narrative people on the Coli and Twitter paint which suggests Kendrick was always a massive media darling who never got bad press. Ultimately in hindsight I think it's clear Kendrick made the right decision though. He made a masterpiece that put him in different conversations, got him different fans, heavily influenced music and made an army of elite musicians want to work with him. Even Mr. Morale, which I'm not a fan of overall, is a testament to that when you listen to the musicianship (and read the credits). I'd argue nobody in mainstream rap is doing that, and the reason he's able to do it is because of TPAB.

I agree that people misinterpreted TPAB despite everyone involved in it constantly telling the world what it was actually about. Yes it explores "blackness" but it's largely an album about Kendrick's personal struggles with fame, survivor's remorse, and his environment/city. Going back to Interscope, I'd bet money that Jimmy Iovine and the other old rock heads at the label heard the album and thought it was more The Wall or Quadrophenia than Fear Of A Black Planet.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Breh this is revisionist history. 2015 wasn't that long ago to be saying this with a straight face

I remember Kendrick getting ChucK D comparisons literally within days of the album coming out, i specifically remember Bomani Jones being one of those people as he commented on how furiously black the album was

The Blacker The Berry was the first single breh what are we talking about:mjlol: "i" was released to blogs right before the album came out

TPAB wasn't as misinterpreted like you're presenting. The album is pretty explicit about what it's about. What happened is Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out are tied at the hip to defining elements of the black experience. I don't see the purpose in trying to make a separation to prove a point that's not even true

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
As I scroll through this thread, a lot of yall complaints about what FD is saying is addressed. Breh goes out his way to give Drake his flowers, multiple times, despite obviously being a hater, like Kendrick. But yall didn't get that far.

And I'm glad he ended the video by pointing out how Aubrey never went for Kendrick's obvious like his hypocritical music, lifestyle, views of women and his hotepness. shyt coli intelligent Black Aubrey Angels regularly talk about. He tried but ended up doubling down on slave shyt :heh: crodie don't know what hotep. He don't know hiphop is a sport.

Aubrey literally isn't like us

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Breh this is revisionist history. 2015 wasn't that long ago to be saying this with a straight face

I remember Kendrick getting ChucK D comparisons literally within days of the album coming out, i specifically remember Bomani Jones being one of those people as he commented on how furiously black the album was

The Blacker The Berry was the first single breh what are we talking about:mjlol: "i" was released to blogs right before the album came out

TPAB wasn't as misinterpreted like you're presenting. The album is pretty explicit about what it's about. What happened is Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out are tied at the hip to defining elements of the black experience. I don't see the purpose in trying to make a separation to prove a point that's not even true
Yeah I feel dizzy reading some of the posts here because the pro-black super jazzy convo was surrounding that album not even from Blacker The Berry, but the Colbert and Jimmy Fallon performances too. And plus, this was in the midst of the Ferguson and Freddie Gray protests, so people were half looking at the content Kendrick was putting out and half projecting their hopes for a black savior onto Kendrick, too.

And I mean, look at the album cover...Kendrick and his homies posing over a judge's corpse in front of the white house

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Watched it yesterday. a few thoughts of mine in response to FDs:

Drake isnt of the hip hip culture.
Nah. Gotta disagree. Drake originally was a coli breh (i.e hip hop message board poster) who respected and listened to all the hits but his love for rap centered around Hov, Wayne, and the more backpack shyt like Pharrell, Ye, and even LIttle Brother. IN fact he clearly positioned himself to be a more commercially successful version of 808s era Ye and Phonte...I dont think you can be aware of a niche like that if you werent a student of the game.

Drakes central problem is, he isnt capable of making art that isnt meant to be as commercially viable as possible. He doesnt take risks. Hes the natural evolution of Jay-Z but even HOV has made projects out of a sense of love and passion (AG, TBA, 444). THis isnt completely crazy when you consider that our culture has spent 30 years telling people that if you dont make money, you aint shyt and FD is right about one thing, Drake is eternally the awkward kid who is still seeking validation and praise of the Cool Kids and Women who didnt accept him.

However, FD saying things like "Drake didnt call Kendrick a hotep so he doesnt know the culture :krs: " is so obtuse and picky for pickys sake.

Implying that Kendrick was *the guy* that stole Drakes crown around 2014 and how it ties into their beef

For sure GKMC hit hard and fore sure will go down as the more memorable album. For sure, Drake has now explicitly said that he feels Dot gets unnecessary accolades for being artsy fartsy. But circa 2012-2014, I think Drake was solidified as on his way to GOAT tier and really didnt see Kendrick as a threat. Drake at this point was outselling everyone and Drake is a cynic who sees sales and money as validity. In fact I think he was happy for Kendrick to see GKMC sell like it did. Hell drake was on the album.

Drakes issues with "Control" arent the product of jealousy. Drake had a problem with it because like i said, hes a cynic. He cant fathom the idea of doing things for competition or art. Up until that point, bringing up his name had been a ploy for lesser rappers to get attention (i.e. Common). His reaction also revealed that Drake also sees his stimulus packages as a way for him to flatten out the competition and have "ownership" over the artists he helps out. He clearly saw Control as a betrayal, as biting the hand that fed Dot.

Drakes arrogance and insecurity wouldnt let him see the Control verse for what it was, a challenge and nothing more. If drake doesnt act like a completely bytch about it, history is completely changed.
Being a student doesn't make you part of the culture

Akademiks had a massive impact but he ain't part of the culture either

It's like white ppl who think they can research or buy their way

Either you came up in it or you didn't

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Being a student doesn't make you part of the culture

Akademiks had a massive impact but he ain't part of the culture either

It's like white ppl who think they can research or buy their way

Either you came up in it or you didn't
Yall are just talking to talk right now. AK literally used to DJ.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah I feel dizzy reading some of the posts here because the pro-black super jazzy convo was surrounding that album not even from Blacker The Berry, but the Colbert and Jimmy Fallon performances too. And plus, this was in the midst of the Ferguson and Freddie Gray protests, so people were half looking at the content Kendrick was putting out and half projecting their hopes for a black savior onto Kendrick, too.

And I mean, look at the album cover...Kendrick and his homies posing over a judge's corpse in front of the white house
The entire album direction changed to a BLM anthem because of Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Tamir Rice etc. It was within like 6 months. And we’re talking like PEAK obama era.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
And there you again showing YOUR shaky grasp of the culture...Akademiks was a literal radio DJ, as in disc jockey, as in a host and personality - not a record-spinning, hip-hop DJ.
Nope. Ak used to spin in DJ gigs etc. Like actual parties.

Yall dont even know the people you’re criticizing.