FD finally dropped the Drake vs Dot video :wow:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Listened a little more and yea, this isn't good. He glosses over IYRTITL in favor of TPAB but in real time that Drake album was not only really fukking good it was hugely successful. I think the battle has exposed two narratives people are pushing which aren't reality. The first is that Drake was always bad/made terrible music. The second is that Kendrick was always the ordained golden child. In reality Drake made some good music initially and those early Drake/Kendrick debates weren't just purists vs commercial people. A large portion of hip hop media was in Drake's corner circa 2013-2016, back when hip hop media actually mattered. Peter Rosenberg was arguably the only Kendrick dikk rider in NY media at the time. Elliot Wilson and B-dot were firmly on Drake's side and most of the DJs favored him. There was debate and differing opinion over TPAB. Meanwhile NWTS and IYRTITY were the closest people got to pure rap albums from Drake.

Go listen to Drake's subs around that time and it's clear he thought Kendrick was about to be outta here. I don't think anybody saw DAMN coming and that's what killed the narratives Kendrick had been dealing with from the media But if you're peddling the idea that Kendrick was always the golden goose then you ignore all this shyt. Likewise if you pretend Drake was always wack you ignore the nice run he had with those two albums. Which is where Pusha and Budden come in, to me. A year after DAMN we got the Pusha/Drake beef and the line about his music being angry and full of lies lately. That's around the time when the mafioso tough guy shyt started and the decline began. I don't mean commercially (yet) since Scorpion was a smash. But that wasn't a good album, just like Views wasn't a good album. And the more people talked about that, the angrier and more vindictive Drake got. The hubris and anger of that period is what led to that Adidon L. Not saying Drake could have avoided losing to Pusha, but he handled it the worst he could have possibly handled it because of his arrogance at the time. He was declining, creatively.

Do I think Kendrick is hip hop whereas Drake is a fraud? Hell Yea. But I'm not watching a 3 hour vid if someone can't set up a nice rise/fall arc while being fair to create some interest.
Came in to see yes to some of this. The narrative of TPAB being this instantly revolutionary album is pure lies. The album lowkey flopped. I remember Kendrick tweeting IRT responding to the Soundscan numbers and sounding a little disappointed, even tried to rally support for the album in Los Angeles. TPAB has now garnered that label but it wasnt a out of the gate classic.

Additonally, youre exactly right in that DAMN. saved Kendricks commercial career. Clear as day that Interscope/TDE told him to reign in the experimentation and make a more commercially viable album.

And dont even get me started on how TPAB has retroactively been hailed as some album about blackness when damn near the entire album is about Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out .

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
this is how @Busby thinks kendrick is gonna reflect his engagement with women so he has to attack drake to make himself feel better.

The psychology of all this is kinda revealing.

Drake’s honesty keeps being used against him by people who claim drake should ironically be less honest

Man shut the fukk up dude, it's so hilariously ironic seeing you accusing ANYBODY of pseudo-intellectualism :mjlol:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Came in to see yes to some of this. The narrative of TPAB being this instantly revolutionary album is pure lies. The album lowkey flopped. I remember Kendrick tweeting IRT responding to the Soundscan numbers and sounding a little disappointed, even tried to rally support for the album in Los Angeles. TPAB has now garnered that label but it wasnt a out of the gate classic.

Additonally, youre exactly right in that DAMN. saved Kendricks commercial career. Clear as day that Interscope/TDE told him to reign in the experimentation and make a more commercially viable album.

And dont even get me started on how TPAB has retroactively been hailed as some album about blackness when damn near the entire album is about Kendricks self hate and fear of selling out .
TPAB was critically lauded by rap nerds etc right from the jump. But the masses thought it was "weird." Its reception didn't come out of nowhere. TPAB was the biggest reason DAMN had so much hype to begin with

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
context is always necessary when trying to genuinely inform your audience. this video does a very good job of that. this is the video i'd recommend to a casual listener of the genre.
Yeah, he makes his videos keeping people who might be completely unitiated with the subject in mind

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Isnt the whole incel angle sort of a contradicting when allegedly half of the nikkas that Drake is because Drake fukked their girl or a girl they wanted to fukked. Isn't that the projection of some of the dark skin nikkas that hate Drake is because he's the avatar of the light skin nikka that fukked a girl they liked?
"incel" has become more of a catchall term for the redpill Andrew Tate/manosphere type misogyny, not necessarily dudes who can't get girls

African_brehda

Superstar
Daps
Almost 2 hours in, what a beautiful video :ohlawd:

It’s clearly Dot bias, but the fact is, no Drake Stan is deep enough to put together a piece like this :manny:

Anyone who has critical thinking skills, doesn’t just look at things at face value and is able to put biases aside when making decisions will never take Drake seriously, they’ll just enjoy the music and keep it moving.

I can tell you for a fact, you don’t know any deep thinking Drake Stan in your life.